Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Music that sounds like it belongs in Doom

Dittohead said:

This will sound incredibly dorky, but I've always thought that Megadeth's Rust In Peace could be played in the backdrop of any tech map while Slayer's Reign in Blood could be played to hellish levels. And as it turns out, some of them were.

Stuff from those albums could actually fit. I have a few Slayer and Megadeth MIDIs lying around that actually kinda fit tech/hell maps. Most notably is Hangar 18.. I think it fits a little well in doom. But thats just me.

[EDIT]I also have my own suggestion. A couple Pantera songs could actually work well in doom. I was even working on a map a while back that used a midi of Becoming that fit perfect, but I wound up scrapping the map because I got too lazy to work on it anymore.

There is an uncharacteristically moody and dark Def Leppard number called "Desert Song". The guitar work is perfect and the lyrics suit Doom almost eerily well. Here's some of the snippets I remember.

Dark and dirty, like you have never seen
A mind so twisted with thoughts so unclean
My heart is racing all tattered and torn
I stand here naked as the day I was born.

The sky is falling on this setting sun
Echoes of silence ringing loud and long
This isolation is the king of pain
A lost horizon in an ocean of flames

Only the lonely will stand
I'm holding the world in my hand.

The lyrics always made me think of the moment when the Doom guy is standing on the edge of Deimos looking down at Hell.

How about we attempt to trace all the "covers" we can find.
e.g.: Song Artist and Title = Map found on?

so far i've managed to find the following:

Pantera - This Love = Doom II Map 18
Alice In Chains - Them Bones = Doom II Map 23
Slayer - Behind The Crooked Cross = Doom E3M3
Metallica - No Remorse = Doom E?M? (I'm thinking E2M1, but i could be way off)

I have found a great Winamp station to listen to when playing Doom. This music is so fitting, it's great!

http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=1532&file=filename.pls

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.shoutcast.com/newwaradio.phtml?genre=Ambient and click on the "Drone Zone" station.

Sometimes the music is "happy" or a bit melodic, but most of what I've heard so far is sinister, strange, exerpimental dark ambience and drone music, somewhat in the vain of PSX Doom and Doom 64.