Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheHighestTree

Hellmaker woes

I've been using Hellmaker version 1.2b for a while now on my system 10.4 mac. Recently I got fed up with the fact that it kept screwing up my maps (able to walk through sidedefs that I shouldn't have, random fuckups, etc.) so I tried to download version 1.1, but I couldn't figure out how to load the IWAD textures, so I reinstalled the beta. Now I can't save anything (it causes Classic Environment to bomb out!) except for a simple 1-sector room. If there's anyone out there who has a clue why this might be, I'm open for suggestions. I can't make maps anymore with the state it's in. :(

sorry I can't help, but if I was to guess, I'd say that you have the wrong OS version. Isn't Mac OS X Unix-based?
Perhaps Hellmaker doesn't work with that...or maybe one of the modules don't(like the node-builder).
gl.

Thanks for the reply, I really didn't expect anybody to know the answer, but i'm imagining it has something to do with the included nodebuilder or something like you said. My OS comes with support for the classic MacOS too, and it was running Hellmaker steady for months. This is what makes it so frustrating now.

I've been able to edit Things and textures from DOOM+DOOM2.WAD - and actually save them as seperate PWADs, but even the feeblest attempt at mapping and the emulated OS does a belly flop. It's definitely a glitch in the program, which is why I didn't have the highest of expectations that anyone here would know what was up. It may be a matter of prodding around with ResEdit and looking for invisible files for all I know (which is probably what I'll do.)

I appreciate that you took the time to respond, thanks again.

P.S: Prior to being dead in the water, the program routinely screwed up my maps. A typical example would involve an ordinary square sector that when played, would fail to draw the floor/ceiling of 1/2 of the sector (diagonally from the last connected vertice to another one). That's probably related somehow. It would only happen to the first sector too, strange stuff...

Running DOOM editors in classic does not work very well.
Go to your system controls and go to startup disk.
You should boot your system in OS 9.x.x
I am using 10.4.x and 9.2.2. I have to run all my classic doom stuff/editors under 9 and only boot under 10 on my machine to use Legacy port.

An afterthought...
I have both versions of hellmaker and I remember that the .2b has a problem with sector creation sometimes (especially when you try to split a sector). I use the 1.1 version. The built in node builder for hellmaker, as far as I know, can not be disabled. It does not matter, after you save you should drag and drop the WAD to MacBSP... a much better node builder. The textures on a sidedef/sector in Hellmaker should be able to be brought up by option-clicking on the name or picture by the menu bar.

I am also running DEMON 1.01b and working on setting up 1.02b. Hellmaker 1.1 is the most stable of all of these.

I am running Deimos 0.4.1b and it does not support flat editing, just wall textures, sprites and sounds. If anybody knows of something that does flats, or there is some programmer out there that needs a new project (Yeah, Right)