Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

A Doom like game that has the worse sprites and other graphics

Which games have you played that was doom styled (uses sprites and the same basic level methods: Duke 3d, ROTT, etc) game you've played do you think has the absolutely WORSE sprite and other graphics (game play is not important).

Personally, i've recently tried this old game called Marathon...and i must say...that thing looked like a piece of crap. ALl the enemies look like they've been hand drawn on MS paint. No relistic shading and all of the sprites had lots of uneven colors. It was pretty at first, cuz there were pretty interesting bad guys.

I felt the Marathon sprites had better resolution and (at least in Marathon 2/Infinity) looked slightly less cartoony than DooMs. =^/ Some of the sprites in Marathon 2/Infinity were CG-rendered.

Hmmm...

Can't think of any offhand. =^/

Ezxariarch said:

ALl the enemies look like they've been hand drawn on MS paint.

pretty hard trying to use mspaint on a macintosh.

I'd have to say Tekwar. The faceless photosourced enemies are creepy as well as the ability to make everyone in the avatar selection screen dance just by holding a direction key

Technician said:

That game that came out before corridore seven. Operation Body Bag/Count? I remmeber it being pretty bad.

WRONG
Coors door 7 - mid 1994
Operation Bodycount - later 1994
Tekwar - Aug 1995
Witchaven - Sept 1995

btw witchavens goblins are hott they have cock

Technician said:

corridore seven. Operation Body Bag/Count?

I think for me, those two probably are the worst. Corridor7 had extremely garish, amateur looking sprites and some of the terrorists in Operation Body count were actually edits of the Doom sprites.

Strife kicked ass ans was ahead of it's time it terms of gameplay but the graphics sucked. for some reason they weren't on par with doom. and that game got over shadowed by Duke 3d and Quake.

In Pursuit of Greed. It was a decent game overall, but they overused their 3D modelling program a bit - everything was shiny.

Also, Amulets and Armor suffers the same fate. Come on guys, leather isn't supposed to shine like metal!

I disagree. Strife's sprites look very nice and follow a solid theme.

I'd go with Corridor 7. They look worse than Wolf3D and Blake Stone.

Ken's Labyrinth also had some really weak monster sprites.

There's also Lethal Tender/Terminal Terror, but there IMO the gameplay innovations were more important than the amateur graphics.

Oh ya Fortress of Dr. Radiaki also had really ugly sprites.

Depth Dwellers also had sucky graphics in general.

Edit: Oops :)

I think the sprites for System Shock were pretty awful. The game was awesome, but just like the sequel, the characters graphics were quite horrible.

The Fortress of Dr Radiaki were leaning on how they had made 3d modeled sprites and that was the thing they got acclaim for.

Bodycount was just bad allround. Don't really recall any specifics about the sprites though.

Corridor7 I only remember the floating eye sprite from. and it was pretty bland.

Strife sprites weren't as good as Doom's, but they weren't bad either.

Ken's labyrinth were terrible. Probably my top pick.

The little I played Witchaven, I remember it as having pretty cool art. But I wouldn't vouch for that.

Some of the Hacx sprites were just godawful. But there were a lot of really good ones in there too.

On this page though, Corridor7 fails it above everyone else.
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/wolfenstein/tekkoudan/other.html

Witchaven had sprites made by the same way as DooM but they weren´t modified in PC as much as DooM ones and models of enemies were poor quality. Whitchaven had realy poor textures but sprites were OK

Ken´s labyrith is fan made so it´s logical that it dont have professional graphics. (but still better than C7)

Belial said:

I disagree. Strife's sprites look very and follow a solid theme.

If you were just talking about weapons & enemies I'd agree but some of the pickup sprites are extremely cartoony. (The clip is the worst, IMO)

TheDarkArchon said:

If you were just talking about weapons & enemies I'd agree but some of the pickup sprites are extremely cartoony. (The clip is the worst, IMO)

you do realize that Strife has a psuedo-comic book art direction, so it being cartoony isn't a bad thing

System Shock 1 and Witchaven had okay sprites but the animations were terrible.

Just like Redneck Rampage where monster sprites were excellent but their animation was rather sloppy.

Nitemare 3D. Now that is some straight suck. Its more Wolfenstein 3D era though. As far as the games froim around the time of Doom I thought Heretic had disapointing sprites. Not terrible, but *******ely not up to the doom standard.

After my latest upgrade I lost all these classics. Wish I could find em again.

I change my vote. Even though I love Kens Labyrinth its sprites were like three colors. It was commercially sold so it counts.

Corridor 7 made me vommit up my own pixilated lungs, I felt like killing myself. I had never been truly depressed until C7 was released.

Heavy_Z said:

Nitemare 3D. Now that is some straight suck. Its more Wolfenstein 3D era though. As far as the games froim around the time of Doom I thought Heretic had disapointing sprites. Not terrible, but *******ely not up to the doom standard.

then again, what cheapass shareware game at the time had GOOD sprites?

Catacombs. It only had about 100 colors, and they were practically all neon. And it was supposed to "scary and dark."