Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

If you would change any weapon from Doom, Doom2, Doom 64, what would it be?

What weapon in the original doom games did you think was utter crap and you would have made a beter one if you were in charge?

Personally, I think the changun was a big load of sh*t. It's slow and sucks for taking out even slightly tougher monsters. I would have made it either faster or did more damage with it's bullets./ I mean, I never even use that gun (my favorite is the shotguns). The damage ration for the chaingun was crappy too: 200 bullets, each dealing about 10 damage on average. Where as the shotguns 50 shells each shooting 7-10 bulelts pure shot. That's equal to 350 - 500 bullets. I thought the BFG was kinda strange at first too. If you looked away, you dobn't do that splash damage thing. I would ahve made the BFG ball itself shoot the hit-scan attacks rather than the player that shot it. At far away, a rocket can do more damage than the BFG sometimes (rovckets guarantee atleast 120-128 damage from splash on the monster that the rocket hits).

I assume you mean change any weapon in Doom. If I had to change any weapon in the game I would change the chain gun as well. It feels big and feels strong, but its speed and sounds just don't pack the punch. Doom 64 while still slower then a real chain gun fixed this problem for me. Doom 64 also changed issues I had with the Plasma Rifle.

I read the thread title at first "if you had a chance to be any doom gun." O_O

To fix any gun, I'd just make the caingun faster.

Bashe said:

caingun

Who uses this weapon? Gimpy old zombies?

I'd probably speed up the Chaingun myself, though.

My custom DeHackEd patch which I use with every WAD that doesn't have its own is as follows:

- All characters' masses reduced by 75% to simulate greater pushback from weapon impact
- Fist's, Pistol's, Chaingun's ROF about doubled
- Shotguns' ROFs increased slightly (no waiting between shot and pump, or between pump and next shot)
- Rocket's impact damage doubled, ROF halved

Any maps I make will come with this patch, though most likely optional. Splitting it in two might be a good idea (one lightweight patch and one "fast shot" patch) if the latest ZDoom didn't hate multiple patches so much.

I'd replace the fist with a shotgun bayonette (I mean the old graphics) and I'd make the pistol shoot faster and only when you tap the key (as in Wolf3d or CS.)

The chaingun is fine by me. I can use it to snipe accurately over long distances, put cacos down without them firing a single shot and with a bit of care, put down any enemy in the game. Upping the speed starts to make it a bit powerful IMO and thereby lessens the impact of finding the naturally more powerful weapons.

The pistol, however, is a wimpy weapon. I find it frustrating to use and having to pump 7 fairly low speed shots into an imp to down him gets old pretty quick when there is a crowd of them. Fortunately, most wads give you access to a shotgun pretty early on so the pistol is only used for the fight to the shotgun.

Fredrik said:

I'd give the plasma gun a less annoying reload animation.

Romero said it was the guns recoil kick. I though for years that the player pumps the plama gun. Kind of a lousy animation if you ask me.

I'd say it's a very nice touch that gives the plasma rifle some character. In some situations you'll have to choose between wasting some cells shooting at nothing and staying defenceless for a few seconds if you stop firing.

I dont see any problem with the chaingun.

I'd increase the damage for the fist by a slight bit. I dont mind the plasma rifle recoil but I could sure do without the sound effect.

Speed up the pistol and make it semi-automatic, add a rifle that acts like the old pistol but does more damage, and replace the Chaingun with an SMG that has a better animation but more or less acts the same. Then I'd remove the recoil on the plasma gun and give it a better firing sound, and make the BFG more like a nuke-type weapon with a blast radius that would make it harder to use effectively. Of course, that change would probably destroy deathmatch and coop games, but since I never play those anyway, that'd be fine by me.

I'd change the pistol into something more useful and cooler (in sounds and apearence) like the pistol from DOOM 3.

And what if you could add an extra weapons, what would you add, grenade launcher, railgun, soul cube, ligthning gun, unmaker, demon's claw, perhaps something else? Personaly I think a grenade launcher (that acts as the one of Quake 1) would be very useful and would not afect the precious balance.

Vegeta said:

I'd change the pistol into something more useful and cooler (in sounds and apearence) like the pistol from DOOM 3.

I sure hope by sounds you don't mean the default pistol sound for Doom 3...it's terrible.

I hate using the BFG. It looks silly and the explosion effect was hard to predict until I understood how it worked. I would definitely replace that with something else, but I'm not sure what.

I'm a big fan of the chaingun on the other hand, but I must admit the firing sound doesn't quite cut it.

I'd like to see more done to Doom 64's unmaker. It was cool and all to see a lazer in Doom, but it just could have been better. Did Doom's design doc cover the unmaker in good detail?

Belial said:

I'd say it's a very nice touch that gives the plasma rifle some character.

I agree, fan of the recoil.

Well, it doesn't make sense that it produces recoil when you CEASE fire. Anyway, it would have been better with more than one frame of animation.

EarthQuake said:

Beta BFG motherfuckers.

Haha that one reminds me of a whole buncha marbles firing out of a vacuum. :D

Use3D said:

I agree, fan of the recoil.

I always liked it myself too. :D I liked firing it, then stopping and having it go up like I was charging in or something. :D

What the heckdoes the Unmaker do anyway? Or is it just some beefed up Pistol or slow plasma gun? I was playing the Doom 64 TC a while ago and saw the wierd thing. I had no idea what specialy it had since it acted like a slow plasmagun with more punch. O_o

Ezxariarch said:

What the heckdoes the Unmaker do anyway? Or is it just some beefed up Pistol or slow plasma gun? I was playing the Doom 64 TC a while ago and saw the wierd thing. I had no idea what specialy it had since it acted like a slow plasmagun with more punch. O_o

Unmaker was supposed to be some sort of demon BFG, running on demonic souls. Read the Doom bible for more info.

Ezxariarch said:

I was playing the Doom 64 TC a while ago and saw the wierd thing. I had no idea what specialy it had since it acted like a slow plasmagun with more punch. O_o

If you collect all of the secret icons, three I believe, another laser is added to the unmaker. Additionally, with all of those icons, you can close the three demon gates in the final level of the game.

Job said:

If you collect all of the secret icons, three I believe, another laser is added to the unmaker. Additionally, with all of those icons, you can close the three demon gates in the final level of the game.

The first one you get increases it's rate of fire. The second and third each add a laser beam. Fully powered up, it can take out large mobs quicker than the BFG, but goes through ammo just as quick.