Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

John Romero's level design

I just found out that Romero made E4M2 in 6 hours from concept to completion.

Not bad, huh?

Yeah that's fucking nuts. I'd love to be able to crank out maps like that in such a short time period

Hmmm. Odd, this thread. I actually disliked most of Romero's maps in Doom 1 and Doom 2 and, tight as they were, thought they were too annoying and not much fun to look at. I think Sandy Peterson is my favorite level designer in both games. His levels suggest vast, interesting spaces which are much more fun to explore than Romero's. Plus, Peterson was, as I understand it, responsible for much of the Lovecraftian influence in the conceptualization of the Doom world, which was a nice touch.

I think Romero is a much better designer than McGee, though. *cringes*

Slink said:
His levels suggest vast, interesting spaces which are much more fun to explore than Romero's.

Maybe E3M6 and to a degree E3M5, but they don't have the same appearance of depth as Romero's intricate maps (e.g., E1M7), nor do they really compare with the elaborate spaciousness developed by Romero in maps like Map29 and E4M6. Even Map11 is kind of like one huge room while not being just one room.

Plus, Peterson was, as I understand it, responsible for much of the Lovecraftian influence in the conceptualization of the Doom world, which was a nice touch.

He seems to have pushed more for a Dantesque direction in DOOM, as is shown by the map names, though perhaps he suggested the necronomiconic textures and teleporter flats. The artwork had Gigerish textures (the grim tech stuff that tends to contribute a Lovecraftian moodiness) since before Petersen showed up. But the theme of the game was set before that, as the id guys were thinking of Evil Dead and Aliens with D&D's demons all along. Petersen used more clear Lovecraftian stuff in Quake, though.

Best Romero Map - E4M6
Worst Romero Map - E4M2

Best Ult Doom Map - E1M6
Worst Ult Doom Map - E3M9

Best Doom2 Map - MAP15
Worst Doom2 Map - MAP21