Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

Why no switch to Doom 3? Or at least to Heretic?

Both games are superior to Doom.

Doom 3 has nearly everything Doom has. Those things one hates about Doom 3 (linearity, darkness and always -fast monsters) can be fixed. Plus you get better grafix and better capabilities (like transforming it into an action-quest game)

Heretic is IMO the best FPS ever made ;)
45 (!) levels of perfect balance. Seamless design; Carryable items (life savers); No shotgunners to kill the game; Ammo and sticky monsters everywhere ===>> nonstop action.

So why do you keep mapping for Doom (or zDoom)? :/

Umm, doom 3 can't handle the level of detail I like to put in my levels, instead you have to rely on textures to do all the work for you, it's not nearly as gratifying.

And Heretic was never amazing in my books. It was fun, but as far as editing, hexen beat it hands down, and doom beats that hands down.

Want to edit for Doom3 or heretic, be my guest, but I find them inferior fun-wise to editing for doom.

Gameplay is more important than graphics, reason Tetris is still popular. I have seen some very crappy games that look very good with graphics. Anyway there are MD2 mods and GL modes for some ports so Doom can look as good as any new game.
Doom gameplay is very simple, but depending on the map it can be very hard. With thousands of maps and hundreds of high quality maps, someone can keep playing a "new" game everytime.

Shotgunners dont kill the game, they just make it so more strategy is needed. And yes Heretic is a very good game.

People keep mapping because they like the game. Just because it is ancient in the computer games timeline does not mean it is not still a good game.

Ebon, clearly there is a huge gulf of misunderstanding between you and most people who visit this forum. Even before Doom3 there were many, many games that, by your criteria, were better than the original Doom. The people here didn't "jump ship" for those games so why should they for any others? We like Doom - for a variety of reasons: some logical, some less so. That's really all there is to know.

I dont recall this place being Hereticworld, though I may need to clear my cache and refresh the page.

abysmal said:

Anyway there are MD2 mods and GL modes for some ports so Doom can look as good as any new game.

Not true... no Doom engine can look as good as new games. These days there is far more at work than hi-res textures and high-poly 3d models.

In any case, another one no one has said yet is maybe not everyone has a super-powered PC to run Doom3 with.