Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bob the hellspawn

That Scrolling Face-Wall Thingy

XXoXX said:

Why are they there then? I'm really curious.

Well these aren't all the appearances, but the ones I know clearly.

Ultimate Doom- E2M4
Doom 2- Teleporter in Map30

GGG said:

I'm sure I've used that texture in one map or more. When I used DEU, it was an ugly brownish-red texture with vertical tan stripes. I think it was 64 x 16.

I think that's AASTINKY. AASHITTY is definitely the 'pile of skulls' texture.

bob the hellspawn said:

What the heck was that supposed to be??? I remember it kinda scared me.

This place on my map is owned to you:

HobbsTiger1 said:

PrintScr + Paint

There is no that kind of button on my [I don't remember that word, but I mean that what you use to write something.] Nearest button is PrtScn (I don't know it do, so I don't press it.)

According to DeePSea's texture reporter...

sp_face1

Doom.wad
E2M4
E3M3
E3M5

Doom2.wad
MAP28
MAP30

TNT.wad
MAP16
MAP30
MAP31

Plutonia.wad
MAP05
MAP08
MAP09
MAP20

JonTTu111 said:

Nearest button is PrtScn (I don't know it do, so I don't press it.)

You fail computers. Wikipedia is your friend, etc., etc.

On 6/16/2006 at 10:54 PM, bob the hellspawn said:

Anyone remember that thing near the exit in E2M4 in Doom? You know, it was like a scrolling wall texture of like faces, pretty much melted in?

according to doom lore, they are living humans "melted" together to make one singular mass. just spinning there in their eternal torment, begging for help.

6 minutes ago, datdude12399 said:

according to doom lore, they are living humans "melted" together to make one singular mass. just spinning there in their eternal torment, begging for help.

Nice bump :P

anyway I always viewed them as trapped souls.

4 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

Did you even exist back in 2006? >:D

Yes if you agree to law's definition of a human being, but hey. ;)

The texture was in my nightmares for a week keep in mind I was like really young at the time

I was wondering why the discourse was so stale and then I realized this post was from 2006. What's with all the 20 hear necrobumps lately? 

On topic:

Why did OP even post this without even proposing a conversation? Wait, that's not even on topic. Uh, I used this texture in Pandora Map20

4 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I was wondering why the discourse was so stale and then I realized this post was from 2006. What's with all the 20 hear necrobumps lately?

Necrobumping is cool. We're playing a (nearly) 30 year old game. To reanimate a 20+ year old thread fits kind of well into the picture, I guess :-)
(And to go even further OT: Imagine a forum, where you can respond  only  to ten+ years old posts....I know, it would not work, but I find the idea hilarious. Most likely, Douglas Adams would appreciate it.;-) )

Edited by DoomGater : fragged some typos and added a huge brainfart.

22 hours ago, datdude12399 said:

Be honest - You went on looking for this one, right?

5 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Because the user who bumps it makes it their destiny to do so.

The chance that this often someone unknowningly bumps such old threads is close to zero.

Either way those scrolling things are tortured souls.

37 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Necrobumping is cool. We're playing a (nearly) 30 year old game. To reanimate a 20+ year old thread fits kind of well into the picture, I guess :-)
(And to go even further OT: Imagine a forum, where you can respond  only  to ten+ years old posts....I know, it would not work, but I find the idea hilarious. Most likely, Douglas Adams would appreciate it.;-) )

Even in that scenario you will have someone say something that they could have found out by the search button. :P

On 12/31/2022 at 12:21 AM, datdude12399 said:

How the hell did you even find this post?

4 hours ago, datdude12399 said:

what do you mean

I mean how did you find it. Simple question. It's over 15 years old.

6 hours ago, datdude12399 said:

what do you mean

Its a 15 year old thread, the poster who started the thread has been gone since 2012, so how did you stumble upon this?

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I mean how did you find it. Simple question. It's over 15 years old.

Either:

• With a search (Yeah right)
  • Automated process
  • Just for the lulz

Probably a mix of these three.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:11 AM, Redneckerz said:

Be honest - You went on looking for this one, right?

Because the user who bumps it makes it their destiny to do so.

The chance that this often someone unknowningly bumps such old threads is close to zero.

judging by their post history, i'm pretty sure that the necrobumper in question is just a young kid who doesn't know forum etiquette.

honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if they're younger than the thread itself. go easy on them, would ya?

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Its a 15 year old thread, the poster who started the thread has been gone since 2012, so how did you stumble upon this?

i just found it on the main page :I

4 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I'm gonna create a level called NECROBMP.wad.  

And all the textures will be scrolly-face thingies

THAT'S TOTALLY A GOOD IDEA

7 hours ago, roadworx said:

judging by their post history, i'm pretty sure that the necrobumper in question is just a young kid who doesn't know forum etiquette.

honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if they're younger than the thread itself. go easy on them, would ya?

But they don't learn from it, that's the thing.

But ill go easy.

4 hours ago, datdude12399 said:

i just found it on the main page :I

If by that you mean Page 1 of Doom General i call that highly implausible since that shows the most recent threads. Not one from 2006. So you either searched from the last page up, or did something else to find it.

I think the scrolling face thing is pretty unique to Doom, haven't seen any other game really do that. A lot of Doom mappers back then and today still do scrolling flesh / face horror stuff as well.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:13 AM, Maximum Matt said:

I'm gonna create a level called NECROBMP.wad.  

And all the textures will be scrolly-face thingies

It would be awesome to have this text in the intermission screen before the level haha:

"Anyone remember that thing near the exit in E2M4 in Doom? You know, it was like a scrolling wall texture of like faces, pretty much melted in?" - bob the hellspawn

On 1/2/2023 at 11:45 AM, Redneckerz said:

But they don't learn from it, that's the thing.

But ill go easy.

If by that you mean Page 1 of Doom General i call that highly implausible since that shows the most recent threads. Not one from 2006. So you either searched from the last page up, or did something else to find it.

…is that you “going easy”?

We can assume we know what happened, we surely don’t need a “confession”, can we move on ? 

anyways, this texture is one of my favourites, pure and simple. I would use it more often, but one of my caveats is, I quite enjoy it used sparingly - adds to the whole “trapped souls tortured for eternity” thing for me. Feels less spooky if they’re everywhere, you’d get used to it then! 

1 hour ago, staros96 said:

We can assume we know what happened, we surely don’t need a “confession”, can we move on ? 

anyways, this texture is one of my favourites, pure and simple. I would use it more often, but one of my caveats is, I quite enjoy it used sparingly - adds to the whole “trapped souls tortured for eternity” thing for me. Feels less spooky if they’re everywhere, you’d get used to it then! 

Totally agree about using it sparingly: I used it in my first ever map, as I wasn't comfortable with complex geometry in mapmaking at that time, so this texture with scrolling gave some dynamism to a rather simple scene. 

12 hours ago, staros96 said:

Ayup. You should see me when i post on HMP! :)

12 hours ago, staros96 said:

I haven't responded since considering OP hasn't posted since with an explanation, so not sure what there is to move on from. Far as i am concerned, that has already been done.