Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

How was the original Doom sold?

No, i just get german doom2.wad file (all other files is the same as in regular initial v1.666) from one 3DSL member. Then i use official patch "bringing back proper date/time" undocummented feature and get right copy of all files.

german doom2.wad right size/date is 14,824,716 29.08.1994

I even had a version where DeHackEd stated that it was stolen.
Just used it because my buyed(sp?) German version was without MAP31 and MAP32 :/
Whats the history behind that release?

Here in russia that stolen before official doomsday pirated doom 2 version is most widespread (doom2.exe size is 686921 dated 25.08.1994.
DOOM series never sold in Russia officially.
And here was no hope in middle 90's for russian doomers to get favorite game for legal.

About doom 2 german release. When i hear about it first time i know about it absolute nothing except that it just exist and missing both secret levels. And i began to wonder "what kind of excitting differences may be included in that release? maybe absolute new secret maps?" And i start to huntung for this ver. Then i have know - secret maps just missing in this release in banned nazi symbols reason (but sprites is here anyway :)). ID Guys just open dumb Deutsch market for doom 2 by this way. And after short time they released doom2 german 1.9 patch which just transform it to plain international 1.9 with all nazi features ofcourse for happy dutch doomers :)
I'm searching for it maybe last 7-8 years. And now i have archive and still looking for CD.

This release absolute useless for any kind of mappers/modders. It is not contain any new art material or new maps.

Inreresting only for doom stuff collectors. And original CD in box by CDV GmbH publisher is absolute rarity.

Quasar said:

I have one you seem to be missing. It's called DOOM Companion Edition and was made by Laser Magic, the same people that made Demon Gate 666. It has graphic maps of the levels, demos, some really early and crappy level editor utilities, and the shareware version of DOOM on it. It came in a jewel box for $9.95 and has the official DOOM cover art in the front insert and printed in the disc in red. I'll provide a scan of the front insert if you'd like to see it ;)

Would love to see it please post it up!!

correct me if im wrong but doesnt this site have a load of pics of doom boxart etc?

As for me, my dad got it when it first came out but I have no idea how he got it, as we never needed disks, all i can remember is it was doom v1.2 (which i deleted ages ago cus i fugged up the main wad :( ) I rebought it a few years back along with Doom2 in the Doom Collectors Edition here in the UK, even tho I already had doom2 (again my dad mysteriously had it).

Quasar said:

Here's that scan I promised:

I do not have that one. I have a retail box version of it that comes on 3.5" discs. I am in Vegas on business right now but can take a picture when I get back.