Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gremlin

Joystick

Hello All,

I haven't played in months, and I miss Doom. I was playing using a MS sidewinder. It broke, and I cant find another. Can anyone recommend a simple joystick for Doom play?

Grem

Most people use either the keyboard or a keyboard+mouse combo, but if you really want to use a joystick you're probably better off with a joypad. Logitech do good stuff: you could try the precision gamepad or rumblepad.

I have a friend who plays GZDoom with a Logitech Dual Action Gamepad (which appears to be much the same as my Rumblepad 2 except without the vibration which the game doesn't support anyways). I've tried it and it doesn't suck (for Doom, at least), although I still prefer the keyboard/mouse combo...

I'm pretty good with just my mouse, the couple times I've tried it.

Left = Attack
Middle = Use
Right = Forward

As far as joysticks go, though, I wouldn't know, since I've never used one.

I couple times used joystick in avp2, when my keyboard went broken. Played it with joystick & mouse combo.. It was really weird, but kinda fun. My accuracy in being in the desired spot was poor.

Not sure, but I might have the same kind of joystick.. which is probably broken too. After that keyboard incident I tried it couple times in Doom and never worked.

i'd just go with a 360 controller (assuming windows), probably the best design out there that you could find for a pc (short of getting console controller port -> usb adapters)

what sort of joystick are you talking about anyway, flight sim-style or arcade-style (think street fighter)?

For years, before converting to mouse & keyboard, I used a Logitech Wingman (I think it was). Have you tried one of those yet?

Have you looked at used computer stores in your area? Ebay maybe?

Have you considered converting to mouse - keyboard? After the initial "I hate this" time you just might be amazed at how much better you actually are. Good luck in the search.

Hey, thanks for all the input! I've been using keyboard/mouse for newer games, and I seem to adjust pretty well to that combo. I first played classic Doom with a joystick, so I suppose it's what I'm used to. I'll give keyboard/mouse a try. Thanks, Grem