Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

UAC or Umbrella?

Craigs said:

The UAC was just trying to create a new form of transportation, whereas umbrella was trying to create genetically engineered weapons.

And UAC did not construct the BFG :)

Bank said:

Now Doom 3 on the other hand is a different UAC. Betruger clearly was evil. But then again Doom 3 clearly sucked.

Betruger was evil but the UAC tried to take care of him and sent Swan to stop Betruger. So, again, UAC is not depicted as the stereotype evil corporation. Doom3 didn´t suck at all, you probably just didn´t pay attention.

Tetzlaff said:

Doom3 didn´t suck at all, you probably just didn´t pay attention.

Hard to pay attention, to a story that is so obvious, you wish it wasn't there.

But I really liked Doom 3. I don't suppose I could go through it again, becasue I find it quite boring after some time, and fights are very repetitive (Oh no! I didn't see that coming!).
But I was absolutely amazed with what the modern engines could do (I'm of course talking about the lightning), and the design all over Mars and hell, was just how I love it.

ellmo said:

And UAC did not construct the BFG :)

Sure it did, but the monsters didn't seem to care much for conquering it (dumb fools). So the BFG made by UAC caused no havoc.

They made up for that in Doom 3. ;)

I've been thinking, you can judge a company by the people who work there, and while Betruger was bad look at who Umbrella employs. Wesker, Irons, Nicholai, Sergei, the Birkins, the Ashfords, Spencer, Marcus... they all work for Umbrella and they're all either evil, or crazy evil.

UAC was more like the companies that ruin the planet while they do money and just don't care about the consequences. This is more evident in Evilution they continued the experimentations on Jupiter as a measure to protect Earth, and with a special marine security system toward the gates to protect the crew, but they still continued working on the experiments knowing that the demons were going to eventually appear (as said in the manual, the demons started attacking from the first time they opened the gates, yet they were stopped until the arrival of the hell ship).
In Plutonia it's a bit different, they wanted to close the hell gates but they couldn't handle the work and the doomguy had to finish it.

I don't know about umbrella so I can't judge.

Vegeta said:
UAC was more like the companies that ruin the planet while they do money and just don't care about the consequences.

In other words, the UAC "earns" and generates the Godzilla effect, but in a much deeper way, since it's not just the planet being perverted, but creation to the core.

Actually Betruger didn't start out evil. He most likely started out intending to put an end to all this illogical, superstitious hubbub going on by going through the portal himself, thus demonstrating how safe it is. One of the NPCs (or was it a PDA entry?) tells you about how after that, he came back changed. Comments from other characters make it seem that Betruger was possessed by the devil himself at that point, and that's when he started ordering the religious artifacts, more and more pointless journies into the portals, acting bizarre, etc.

Finally, just as you get there, he's preparing to take the Soul Cube into Hell and open the portal to let out the demons. If you look carefully at him after his cinematic confrontation with Swann, he is looking at a picture of the Soul Cube on his laptop.

dher5500 said:

My opinion, Umbrella is more evil. Umbrella was creating bio-weaponry, which they knew to be dangerous. UAC was doing research on a seemingly benigne field and stumbled apon evil.

Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity-babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job.

Okay. Let's imagine a corporation which is not completely evil, doing an experiment on teleportation. A volunteer (without quote) passes through the portal, and dies (in a most gruesome manner) as a result. What does our not-evil corporation do?

1. Put the project on hold, closing all experiments at least until the theoretical side is better understood so as to avoid a repeat of the tragedy?
  2. Or start rounding up "volunteers" with quotes this time, sending them all to their doom because, hey, it's funny; look, exploding zombie! Teehee!
I repeat: the corporation is not evil. One of the two options above therefore can't be taken. Try to think long and hard about that.

If we can include all pwads into Doom's canon, then UAC is definitely the winner for more evil. In that case, UAC will have driven humanity to the brink of extinction about five thousand times.

I think we're in need of an analogy here. The UAC is like someone taking out an old clunker, and while driving down the street, losing control and crashing into a crowded sidewalk, killing ten people. The Umbrella Corporation is more like someone just walking out into the street with a loaded gun and opening fire, who manages to take out a couple of people before he's brought down.

So the question is, which is more evil? I suppose in the UAC's case, to make the analogy more accurate, it would be like, after killing ten people with your car, you keep taking it out for joyrides, even knowing that there's something wrong that occasionally causes you to lose control.

But honestly, I'd have to go with Umbrella. They may not have caused as much damage (really, it's actually kinda sad that wiping out a city is considered "less damage"), but damn, you can't deny that it was just incredibly cold and calculating. I mean, they're not just experimenting on genetics, and "Oops, we made zombies and they broke free." It's, "Hey cool, we made zombies. Let's unleash them on the city to test their effectiveness as a biological weapon."