Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Getting DOOM 95 to work under Vista/DX10?

Hello,

If anyone here's running Vista and DirectX 10, could you tell me how I can get DOOM 95 to run properly? When I attempt to run the game, the screen goes into this sort of "two color" mode and the screen squishes itself into a little corner at the top of my monitor. Help?

Thanks!
-Intel17

You could try this, which makes it not use Direct Draw:

Doom95 -nodm -emulate

(The -nodm is so that it will start without the launcher. I'm not sure if parameters always work with the launcher.)

myk said:

You could try this, which makes it not use Direct Draw:

Doom95 -nodm -emulate

(The -nodm is so that it will start without the launcher. I'm not sure if parameters always work with the launcher.)

IIRC, DD isn't a problem on DX10.

When installing Doom95 from one of the boxed sets (as opposed to downloading the shareware version and then replacing the IWAD), some people have reported that DirectX version 4 is automatically installed as well, overwriting whatever version was there.  If this happened to the original poster, they may have to reinstall their graphics card drivers before they can play.  I haven't had to rebuild my own machine in a while so don't quote me on this.

AFAICT Doom95 under XP is a bit capricious, but serviceable (as long as you confine yourself to solo play on vanilla maps, duh).  The stickied thread in this forum doesn't address whether or not Vista is worse.