Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

I swear this is the best page in this (long) thread.

Guys, you are all great!

Let's make the next one better! I'm scared to post because I'll break the chain of awesome shots.

Actually I did post something from my D2INO map, but I got into a bit of a tag war with someone, and the post got deleted completely :P

I'm very scared too but I've heard that you must face your fears in order to conquer them, so...

The texture that says "no texture" is a very Magritte-like touch of dadaism. "Ceci n'est pas une texture".

Hmm, yes, this image screams "Erik Alm", or at least his later work, but looking past that I can also clearly see influences from AgentSpork, Vader and B.P.R.D. I can really appreciate the floor texture being a subtle reference to the recently released BTSX episode 1. However despite all this I don't think this has a chance at the cacowards since it doesn't look vanilla compatible (maybe I'm wrong?).

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Anyone else think the caco-ball-wall looks like a lovecraftian beast?

Reminds me more of some bulletstorm from Touhou.

Katamori said:

I swear this is the best page in this (long) thread.

Guys, you are all great!

To keep or even raise the standard, each and every page from now on must be at least like this, and not like some nonsense comments only praising, admiring the posted photos, or telling about n'importe quoi. Like mine.

Wait... no.

Foodles said:

Hmm, yes, this image screams "Erik Alm", or at least his later work, but looking past that I can also clearly see influences from AgentSpork, Vader and B.P.R.D. I can really appreciate the floor texture being a subtle reference to the recently released BTSX episode 1. However despite all this I don't think this has a chance at the cacowards since it doesn't look vanilla compatible (maybe I'm wrong?).

I assume you are talking to me since someone compared my work to AgentSpork; of which I am actually unfamiliar with. Granted I've heard the name before but I have not played any WADs by the author. That actually applies to Vader and B.P.R.D. as well.

Also, since when does everything have to be made for the Cacowards? Eternally Yours had no Cacoward recognition whatsoever, but I really don't care considering how satisfied I am with it. People may or may not like it, but as long as I enjoy it that's all that matters to me. I think that's what discourages some people from mapping because they feel pressured to make the biggest, greatest release in the world. Sometimes we need to remember that it's not always about the reward of recognition; it's the greater reward of satisfaction. Especially that of which comes from making a WAD that you personally enjoy, even if it has about 3 stars on idgames or whatever.

I'm not trying to attack you with all of this, I just don't like the idea that everything has to be the greatest thing ever made just because everyone else wants it that way.

Anyway, the level is vanilla compatible, by the way. It's big but I'm trying to side-step those HOM/VPOs and whatnot. Also I don't want to post in this thread without posting a picture:

Just a random picture from ETRNYOUR.WAD.

valkiriforce said:
Just a random picture from ETRNYOUR.WAD.

That is incredibly reminiscent of those old C64 release group intros... Loving it.

Leave it to valkiriforce to start off page 303 with a bang. It's not often I save pictures from this thread, but that one's a keeper, for sure.

Gez said:

The texture that says "no texture" is a very Magritte-like touch of dadaism. "Ceci n'est pas une texture".

Hahaha, I'm making a texture with this text on it to use as a placeholder from now on.

here's my humble submission: a boss arena from a mapset that i will probably release someday.

p.s. this topic is always a pleasure to the eyes :D

valkiriforce said:

I assume you are talking to me since someone compared my work to AgentSpork;

I actually think it was a mock critique of Memfis' screenshot. :p

valkiriforce said:

I assume you are talking to me since someone compared my work to AgentSpork; of which I am actually unfamiliar with. Granted I've heard the name before but I have not played any WADs by the author. That actually applies to Vader and B.P.R.D. as well.

I believe Foodles' post was a humorous parody of a fine art critique written as a tongue-in-cheek response to Memfis' joke screenshot. The mention of Agent Spork was coincidence.

Also, as you're not familiar with his work here are a couple of pictures from two of his levels* which I hope might explain why I made the connection with your shot. It's that particular style of corridor architecture and ceiling lights.

_______
* bonus points to anyone who can recognise them on sight. Answers:

Spoiler

DAC2005 map12 (aka sp_advent.wad), NDCP map26

Lol, Arch-Vile attack launched me on top of an Arachnotron:P

The obligatory...

And something for some project that I started and now I'll post it just to confuse you...

Ooops...fail! Who make similar accidents during mapping? :D

Also, I started to continue MAP04 of Somewhere in Time. Well, yes, this music (which is the level music at the same time) is very inspirational - I'm sure that if you'd see it ingame, you may not think that this is vanilla-compatible. Just like Back to Saturn X - except that that is better than everything I'll ever do. :D

(the second shot is a close-up about the place you can see in the distance at left on the first shot)

OK, a little misunderstanding on my part. :P

I seriously think every post in this thread should have a picture from now on. And if there is no picture, it'll come with consequences that are the equivalent of someone quoting an image. You'll get the big, yellow text that says, "STOP NOT POSTING PICTURES, IDIOT" or at least something to that effect. We'll get more awesome pages if people are more dedicated to posting pictures.

Anyway, here's the large, double 3d bridge from Eternally Yours MAP09.

valkiriforce said:

OK, a little misunderstanding on my part. :P

I seriously think every post in this thread should have a picture from now on. And if there is no picture, it'll come with consequences that are the equivalent of someone quoting an image. You'll get the big, yellow text that says, "STOP NOT POSTING PICTURES, IDIOT" or at least something to that effect. We'll get more awesome pages if people are more dedicated to posting pictures.

In first. Best still, I've technically given myself this picture because I haven't posted a doom picture!

valkiriforce, what's the problem if someone go here just to tell his opinion about any pics? I think it's more important than posting a picture in every single post, because I hate when I can't get any f*cking opinions about my pic (like now, lol).

I may sound greed, but I don't care, this is the truth. Every picture deserves at least one reaction but it doesn't always happen - so for me, this is more important than the your problem I mentioned.

EDIT: handle this post as an exception because I've posted 3 pics an hour ago. Thanks!

katamori: i know what you mean, i think everyone is happy to get some opinions on their maps, this can help you to improve! i think that the fracture-like light is a bit weird... in fact the whole chamber give me a sense of weirdness, don't know why. about the firs image, about once every day lol.

scypek2: what about a key that fire an imp that spawn a key that fire a fireball? darn now i want an imp laucher.

Springy: Strife!

i love jimi clean approach when making structures, looking good without overdetailing.

and just to make happy valkiriforce another shot from the same map from i took the last screen:

i suck on lighting, simply don't know how to make decent shadow without spending my entire life on a 64x64 area.

Katamori said:

MAP04 of Somewhere in Time

Looks very monotonous, everything is so brown/yellow. I'd recommend to select a different color for the floor or the ceiling.
Also both the bright line on the floor and the bright square on the ceiling look kinda silly (unrealistic), you might want to hide them by utilizing the bleeding flat trick.

Cacowad said:

i suck on lighting, simply don't know how to make decent shadow without spending my entire life on a 64x64 area.

Make sky sectors brighter than non-sky sectors. Add some lamp posts or other light sources and make the sectors around them brighter.

Katamori said:

Ooops...fail! Who make similar accidents during mapping? :D

http://i.imgur.com/gp6dg.jpg

All the time, man. It's worse when I forget I've got two distant, complex sectors merged and only realize it after I've put in a lot of work on the map, so I can't just undo my mistakes.

BaronOfStuff said:

Arrgh!! This happened to me on some shitty map from the awful D!Zone series -- right at the end of some completely unnecessary bullshit lava maze filled with Wolfenstein SS.

Along a similar line of rage-inducing fuckery:
[img]

I hate this level, it's fucking horrible.

Scythe MAP28, am I right? I freaking hate that level as well. //_-