Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Godshatter

15 years of doom

I would certainly hope there would be a 15 years of doom, getting to see all the top ten wads of the years and what each year was like, all the fun stuff. These past 5 years since have shown some pretty impressive stuff.

Godshatter said:

is there anything planned for 15 years this december 10?

The Cacowards, of course! :D

The Cacowards is an annual thing, so yea, that ofcourse. But I think Godshatter means to ask if there will be anything more than that since it is 5 years again. (why is 5 years so special? I don't know) I'd like to see some more as well (but I'd like 3 million dollar and a new computer also) :P

I'm hoping something's planned for Doom's quindecennial anniversary beyond the Cacowards. If an anniversary has a latin name it MUST be celebrated.

My point: it's possible no-one will get mobilized enough to do something better than some (bigger) Cacowards.

Sure, they're fun anyway.

Sure it'd be nice to see something big for the 15th anniversary, but I would understand if there wasn't anything. It takes a lot to come up with something original and interesting.

I'd invite all of you to a giant LAN party at my place, but I doubt whether people would go out of their way to buy flight tickets, even if it's for the 15th anniversary of Doom. (but please correct me if I'm wrong!!)

For sake of meeting fellow Doomers, I'd do it, but staying all the time at a computer? Naah.

This year is out of the question for me. No more free days to spend. But yea, if I could take a few days off I would do it I guess. But paying 800 euro for a retour ticket to Shanghai, where our beloved Nancy sits, is a very expensive LAN party :S

CodeImp said:

This year is out of the question for me. No more free days to spend. But yea, if I could take a few days off I would do it I guess. But paying 800 euro for a retour ticket to Shanghai, where our beloved Nancy sits, is a very expensive LAN party :S

I paid €600 last time I came to the Netherlands, that was during 'high' season (no pun intended). December should be cheaper than that.

t.v. said:

that depends, you don't happen to be in the Netherlands do you?
:-)

If it were only true. CodeImp is right, I'm in the east of China. But I figured, why not spend about 2 weeks in China, have a few computer days, and also make printz happy and do some sightseeing.

Guys, I started a mission a little while ago to make Doom way more popular in China than WoW and DDR, you guys gotta help me!

Also, if we'd have a massive get together somewhere, I'd suggest we should find a place where most people would pay around the same to get there (and in order to make it fair for myself as well, I'll pay the price. Just have to think of some contest for someone to win, I guess. Maybe wait for the Cacowards and buy the winner a ticket...?).

EarthQuake said:

That's okay, we can drink some beer and smoke some weed too.

Can be taken care of.

Thanks Scorpion/Nancy, but:

* I'll really have to gather those 600 euros or less, possibly doubled, necessary for a China trip;
EDIT: visa too?

* I'll only be free during the winter vacation, which BTW lasts for 2 weeks, but is 10 days later than Doom (heh, not much);

* How will I recognize you / you recognize me? Shout "DOOM" to the caucasian-looking people in the airport, or rather ask for Doom membership cards? I wouldn't count on knowing you by the photos.

printz said:

* I'll really have to gather those 600 euros or less, possibly doubled, necessary for a China trip;
EDIT: visa too?

* I'll only be free during the winter vacation, which BTW lasts for 2 weeks, but is 10 days later than Doom (heh, not much);

Well, that's true of course, I would recommend people to check prices for flights to Shanghai around December or January. I've only been flying between China and the Netherlands, so I'm not sure about prices for return flights from other countries. The visa shouldn't be too difficult, either the travel agency includes it, or a visit to the Chinese consulate is necessary.

Of course I'd be thrilled if there would be some Doom community get together here. I basically offered the idea as an original 15 years of Doom celebration, and celebrating it in China is certainly something that hasn't been done before. If this would be too expensive for some people, I'm sure there must be a way how we could all help to compensate for some people. Naturally, if this idea would even get a few inches off the ground, we'd have to find a date, either before or after Doom's actual birthday, that most people are free to go.

All right, in all honesty, I'm just hoping that Ralphis will put the fluff back in Hissy and bring her here.

printz said:

* How will I recognize you / you recognize me? Shout "DOOM" to the caucasian-looking people in the airport, or rather ask for Doom membership cards? I wouldn't count on knowing you by the photos.

Ever noticed people standing at arrival gates of airports holding signs? A Doom logo is not difficult to print out. (:

Nancy said:

Ever noticed people standing at arrival gates of airports holding signs? A Doom logo is not difficult to print out. (:

No problem with that in China I guess... but in the USA, maybe the Homeland Security Paranoid Gentlemen would not appreciate the sign.

They might think you are planning something evil.

Alboroto said:

No problem with that in China I guess... but in the USA, maybe the Homeland Security Paranoid Gentlemen would not appreciate the sign.

They might think you are planning something evil.

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Doom logo.

Edward850 said:

You could use a doom symbol instead, like the face of John Romero.

Just make sure it's not the severed head on a stick version, or you might have the same problems. ;)

Anything that says "DooM" without alerting/alarming security should be suitable. If I could get away I'd wear the automap view of E1M1.

My Doom Comic Movie has stalled due to a few legal issues hampering shooting on certain locations. Do you think the screenplay would be of interest to anyone considering the comic's inclusion in the 10th Anniversary?

GreyGhost said:

I'm hoping something's planned for Doom's quindecennial anniversary beyond the Cacowards. If an anniversary has a latin name it MUST be celebrated.

The 14th anniversary would be the quattuordecennial, and the 16th is the sexdecennial. I thought I'd make use of my Latin knowledge for like the first time ever. :)

Anyway, the idea of an expo is a fantastic one. I unfortunately doubt that I would be able to attend if it's too far away, but the idea of it happening is awesome enough all by itself.

And then the question of what symbol to use such that legal issues are avoided...the automap E1M1 is an interesting idea. :) The only other thing that comes to mind right now is having shirts that say "iddqd" or something like that. I don't think cheat codes are copyrighted.

Its very simple to identify who's who when arriving at an airport. You simply print up a sign with your username and hang it around your neck. Sure you may get a couple of weird looks but hey! It's just china. And if any asian hotties think your a loser theres about 145984245934(maybe just an exaggeration) that you can find. Damn overpopulation. Secondly please do give the 411 about weed in china.

Bloodskull said:

Its very simple to identify who's who when arriving at an airport. You simply print up a sign with your username and hang it around your neck.

The sign has to say "I'm Nancy" instead of "I'm Scorpion" though, since we get to call him Nancy for a year!

...Just Kidding ;-P