Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tai

What's the name of the song for Dwango5 Map20?

Tai said:

Got ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcpNq1Z3j10

Nachstes Mal am Ende der Welt by Valerie's Garten. Yes, it's a German song. : )

frankly, the music choice for most dwango maps leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least. doom and constant techno blaring? map 1 is a notable exception imo, and, as has been said, permanently engraved. does anyone know where that "hitfloor" song came from? anyway, it's much better without that unbearable whistling in the midi linked above.

as for the map itself, the doom wiki only says that D5M1 was derived by Aikman from SS-MAP1.WAD by Rockt (Brett MacLean) and Asmo (RJ Pooch), regular players on the DWANGO San Jose, California servers. some have a great flow like map1 (btw, that passage back to the starting point was exactly what i wanted when i dm'ed on the original d2m1), others are just a bunch of rooms cobbled together.

It most definitely is not. Those two songs share no melodic material, and even the chord progressions are different.

Tai said:

Some things sound similar.

That's a feature of this genre in general. I expect that there are dozens of songs out there that use exactly the chord progression of the D5M1 midi, and even if you found all of these, you still wouldn't necessarily have found the inspiration for the midi. I wish you luck in your quest.

Well, I'm satisfied with what I found on Map01 so far. :D

Anyone find anything about Map20? : (

Well I saw this thread in the Zdaemon forums and I know what you guys mean it is definitely familiar, So I took the liberty of staying up all night flipping through songs on youtube that sounded similar.

I can tell you it is most definitely a 70's/80's funk/disco song you can hear the heavy bass that characterizes the genre so I have 3 guesses that sound something close to Map 20's music

-Michael Jackson ~ "Wanna Be Starting Something"

-Rick James ~ "Give it to me baby"

And

-Dexter Wansel ~ "Dance with me Tonight"

Pardon my necro'ing of this thread, but I was searching around for old school Doom stuff and noticed there was some talk about dwango5's music.

I still have a harddrive packed away somewhere that had the original midi's and individual maps. The one on D5M1 came from some music sequencer software I had purchased that had a bunch of sample midi's and I think I used quite a few of those midi's in the various dwangos. (That d5m1 was one of my favorites, it sounded good with that Roland Sound Canvas card). I think I used it again on d6m32, the "hidden" map that had the secret art gallery room that had to be found within 30 seconds of the map starting of the doors closed off.

I only designed a few of the levels in all of the dwango compilations (which officially ended at dwango6), I was a fairly crappy map designer, people always uploaded maps they liked to a special submissions area to a BBS called 'The Wall Disc ][' which was run by Nileppez. A group of us would download them, hop on Dwango and play them in a 4 player match, then vote as a group. Rarely did the submissions ever include the text files which is a big reason we never had credits, and I didn't even credit myself since I wasn't doing those compilations to promote my own stuff.

As far as the music goes, I did feel I put a lot of effort into the right music for the right level. The ordering of the levels also had a lot of work put into it. We always had a template for creating some small action packed levels, and then larger hide-and-seek type maps, and then some were just added because a friend created it and it was included without question.

I'm suprised that dwango5 lived for as long as it did, I got tired of d5m1 after about two weeks (I liked d6m1 better). I remember during that era, the "megawads" were still emerging Many of them were compilations of a single author's work, and very few focused on high-intensity deathmatch. (Plus, it kept people playing on dwango longer which added up to more $$ for the owners if they kept flowing through the levels of a single wad...)

It's fun to reflect back on those times, back when gaming was fun (and expensive) and the internet hadn't taken over.

"Aikman"

Aikman said:
Pardon my necro'ing of this thread,

No problem, your post is a case in point of when "bumping" is appreciated!

Apologies for bringing this thread back to life, but after years of looking, the Dwango5 Map20 song has been found!

It's Mitsuru Minamiyama - Dance .. 2014 See: http://okmusic.jp/#!/i/collections/3286845

Edit: It seems this may be a rip of another song? I've tweeted him to ask but there may be a language barrier

Edit 2: https://myspace.com/musicminamiyama/music/songs possible lead?

[UD]Climhazzard said:

Apologies for bringing this thread back to life, but after years of looking, the Dwango5 Map20 song has been found!

It's Mitsuru Minamiyama - Dance .. 2014 See: http://okmusic.jp/#!/i/collections/3286845

Perhaps, but I am skeptical.

I can't read Japanese so I can't figure out how to listen to the song or get some basic informations about it, but:
1. With a title like "Dance 2014" I'm going to assume it was made in the year 2014. I'm not sure when exactly Dwango 5 was released, but it was back in the 20th century.
2. There are no other jpop songs in the rest of the selection.
3. The song had already been identified as an old demo MIDI entitled "Dance Party Theme", often distributed as just danc.mid. You can find it here for example.

I think the Japanese artist simply sampled (or even plagiarized) an old MIDI file.

Gez said:

I think the Japanese artist simply sampled (or even plagiarized) an old MIDI file.

Unfortunately, I believe that the same is true. The rest of his selections are clear midi rips. Some bad stuff there.

My gut tells me that this midi was some sort of midi demo/sample used to show off a new sound card or other midi device. We may never know.

Yeah, the site I linked to seems to attribute it to "Onbekende Songs & Demo's" [sic] along with a lot of other various MIDIs. I've been trying to find out if there was actually something called Onbekende that released MIDIs but I haven't had much luck.