Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doom Tattoo

I got a tattoo recently for my 18th birthday. Because I love CA punk music so much, I figured I'd get the Oxnard Hardcore ("nardcore") symbol tatooed on my shoulder. Upon showing it off to people, I struck up some conversations with other people who have tattoos, saying that it's kinda like an addiction, after they got theirs, within a week they were interested in getting another. A guy asked me if I was planning on getting anymore.

I said I wasn't sure, I don't wanna go around blasting my money on "career-killers" as mom and dad call it, but obviously I'd only get a tattoo of something that's really important to me. Doom has been my ideal game since the age of 3, and I still play it today. If I ever were going to get another tattoo, my next one will definitely be something doom related. I was thinking of what kinda image would make a good tattoo and would sum up doom. Something someone would see and recognize right away that it's doom.

Tattoo's obviously are permanant, so it's important that I consider a really good one, and not a lousy joke one. So avoid suggestions like "IMPSE!" and "GET A TAT OF A PINKYS BUTT!"

Some ideas I had in mind were ouchface, the UAC logo, a lost soul, hell baron in the fireball throwing motion, the id logo, or just DOOM in it's traditional font. Any other ideas of what would make a good doom tattoo?

If you do decide to get a DooM tattoo, I think it would look nice in color, especially for a monster. A cacodemon would actually look pretty cool in color. The DooM title would also look cool. But I think something like an Arch-Vile resurecting the dead would look the coolest, becasue of the bloody hands it uses.

I'd just go for the standard DOOM logo across your back.

Also, I have three tattoos-- Two on the back and one down my right arm (sort of a half sleeve just yet). They are very addictive, especially if you're the one who designs them.

You could get a tattoo of a Cyberdemon's rocket launcher that completely covers your right forearm and hand. :P

Seriously tho, just a pic of the Doomguy might look good. Perhaps carrying a BFG or whatever your favorite weapon is. Simple but effective.

I do like the archvile idea with the bloody hands too.

Get a tattoo artist that is competent if you want to get one of the characters drawn on you. Remember that these sprites require some imagination to visually see let alone the small resolution. Your best bet is some printed material the artist can reference such as the logo or what not.

I've seen some Doom and Quake tattoos and they looked like shit.

The Arch-Vile has always been my favorite monster so I would agree with everyone on the Vile Tattoo. But I had an idea of my own that might be pretty awesome.

Would be awesome if it was done right.

I was toying with the idea of a Doom tattoo once (like you, I'd recently had one done and fancied another). Best contender for me was the Bamphomet. I can't find the exact image I was going for but it was cover art to some Doom boxset, which had the tagline "death does not discriminate".

I would SO get a tattoo if i wasn't below the legal age (same goes for drinking, heh.)

If i were to get a tattoo, it would most likely be the doom logo, a hell knight attacking, or the slayer logo.

purist said:

I was toying with the idea of a Doom tattoo once (like you, I'd recently had one done and fancied another). Best contender for me was the Bamphomet. I can't find the exact image I was going for but it was cover art to some Doom boxset, which had the tagline "death does not discriminate".

Ooh that's a good idea too.

For the tattoo i got, I just drew the logo myself the way I wanted it, and let him trace onto some kinda transfer paper that outlined the drawing on my skin fo him to fill in. If I do get a doom tattoo, I'll just draw it myself so that it looks exactly the way I want it, and let the guy trace it on me.

Strongbad said:

I would SO get a tattoo if i wasn't below the legal age (same goes for drinking, heh.)

Nobody's stopping you from drinking (but buying) (well, depends on parents...) It's same as with games rated like 17+.

If I had to choose a Doom tattoo, I'd have a big Cacodemon face on my whole chest. But OTOH I'm not sure I'd want a big ugly face to be permanently drawn on me...

JohnnyRancid said:

Ooh that's a good idea too.

Yeah, I saw a girl with a goat's skull tattoo on her back and, although I don't think it had anything to do with Doom, it reminded me of the Icon of Sin and I thought it would look cool to anyone who hasn't played Doom as well as anyone spotting the reference.

purist said:

Yeah, I saw a girl with a goat's skull tattoo on her back and, although I don't think it had anything to do with Doom, it reminded me of the Icon of Sin and I thought it would look cool to anyone who hasn't played Doom as well as anyone spotting the reference.

Could you focus on the "back" part one more time?

Seriously, tho; I think that the best idea is to go for the ceremonial goat's head (the wall texture) and perhaps adding the doom logo underneath it. You really could not go wrong with that.

Prince of Darkness said:

ceremonial goat's head (the wall texture).

Yes, that's similar to the one I saw, without the cropped horns or inverted pentangle of course. I would go with that.

The doom 2 titlepic would be pretty cool, minus all the background buildings, rubble and fire in the background, just the faceoff with doomguy and the cyberdemon.

I wouldn't want anything too big and intricate though. UAC symbol might be kinda cool but I don't think I'd be satisfied with it after long. A scratched up id logo might look pretty cool.

Technician said:

Post a scan of the logo you drew.

I think I left the paper at the place by accident. I didn't think I'd need it anymore considering it's tattooed on my shoulder.

purist said:

without the cropped horns or inverted pentangle of course.

Yes but the inverted pentagram is what the goat head is supposed to be drawn on; it is that sign "official" 'satanists' like to go with.

It's not really Doom, but I recently made this Strogg banner out of some Quake 2 texture, and I think it'd be perfetct for a tattoo. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be my next one.

I also intend to clean it up a bit and order a big ass poster for my living room :)

Get the Doom Logo. It doesn't get much better than that. Or if you're feeling really adventurous, get the entire scene from the cover of Doom 1 tattooed on your back. You would probably Ascend right there if you did it.

printz said:

Yes but the inverted pentagram is what the goat head is supposed to be drawn on; it is that sign "official" 'satanists' like to go with.

That's fine if you want people thinking you're an "official satanist" everytime you take off your shirt.

Florian said:

What about all the monsters on your back. Or every sprite of the Imp.

i'd go with the automap.

heh, i thought about a quake rune on the shoulder years ago, but dropped the idea though.