Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Which Hexen class has the best third weapon?

From the Hammer of Retribution, the Fire Storm, and the Arc of Death, which becomes the winner? I'm curious of it because:

• the hammer is a brutal exploding missile, dealing big damage instantly
  • the firestorm looks beastly, hits instantly and deals even more damage, but over time, and has short range, and might not ignite. Sometimes I liked the hammer more, despite its boring appearance
  • the arc of death kills all regular creatures in one hit, dealing damage over time while sticking on them. However it can be evaded as a projectile and even grounded (into the walls).
Which is actually the best choice in a PvP situation? I did try DECORATE modifications of Traductus and Menelkir, giving them their third weapons, and:
  • Traductus was even more powerful, now being able to instantly blam me with heavy damage. Half the time I was dead (both due to ghosts and fire), but otherwise I did manage to win, by running a lot. I believe running had helped me survive the fire (let alone the ghosts, which are so powerful against monsters because THOSE NEVER RUN AWAY AND ARE TOO SLOW -- next mod should give the wraithverge scarecrow powers)
  • Menelkir's lightning didn't work. But in this case maybe it's also hardcoded incompatibility at work. His lightning kept pushing the victims away, to the wall, resulting in quick grounding. So the ending damage was negligible. Therefore I couldn't be decided on Arc of Death's power.
  • With Zedek I didn't bother. Probably the effect is similar to being hit by a cyberdemon (I'm aware the explosion damage comes a wee bit later)
So, what I'm asking is: which of the third weapons is the most effective in deathmatch? I really hope it's not the Firestorm. The Clerics have got too much slack already.

I used to deathmatch quite a bit in hexen back in the day. The hammer was the hardest to use since it moved much slower than the firestorm an the lightning, but up close it was almost instant death. Honestly the lighting was fairly wicked since it could come at you very quickly and hung around, even when you tried to move...

Long range

Hammer
+ easy to aim (using mouselook), goes in a straight line like a rocket, maybe a bit faster (well, it seems like it)
- easy to avoid, can hear it coming
Lightning
+ can travel over cliffs of any height, as well as ceiling variations
+ in certain maps, spamming this can mean a couple of frags, and many times the victim won't see where it came from because it just hopped over a wall
- moves in an unpredictable fashion, almost impossible to aim at very long distances
- (if I remember right) will target, but not destroy, pine trees and bushes
- high mana usage
Firestorm
- won't reach that far

Winner: hammer

Medium range

Hammer
+ same as above
+ splash damage tends to be more effective, espcially fighting near a lot of walls or aiming at enemies below you
- a bit slow
- still easy to avoid
Lightning
+ because of the unpredictable nature, it can be a bit hard to avoid
+ just as effective on enemies on higher or lower ground
+ stays with a target after the initial hit, but it can be outran with some effort
+ The lower the height of the ceiling is relative to the floor, the more damage it will do to a target. For instance, in a small room with a low ceiling, one of these will kill someone real quick. However, in a wide open area with a tall sky, the damage won't be as much.
- watch out for those bushes and trees
- will dissipate if it hits a wall, even when tracking an enemy
- high mana usage
Firestorm
+ very hard to avoid
+ easy to aim
+ probably the fastest fire rate of the three
+ causes hefty damage upon impact

Winner: Firestorm

Short/melee range

Hammer
+ projectiles does quite a bit of damage with no splash damage returned to the player
+ melee attack not only does a good deal of damage, but it doesn't use ammo
+ melee attack damage isn't reduced when you run out of ammo like the axe, but there are no hammer projectiles
- slow fire rate
- for melee attacks, the axe is far better and has a better fire rate
Lightning
+ if you have a good aim and a bit of luck, one or two of these will most likely kill someone
+ multiple projectiles can track a target at the same time for greater damage
+ melee attacks will shoot the lightning like normal and will all but guarantee a kill, especially in areas with low ceilings
- somewhat slow fire rate
- high mana usage
- since it doesn't damage the target all at once, it might give some time for a counterattack before the target dies
Firestorm
+ almost impossible to avoid
+ instantly causes a great deal of damage upon impact
+ faster fire rate
- faster firing rate combined with fairly high mana use means it will likely drain mana faster than the other two if it's spammed a lot

Winner: Firestorm

I think the Firestorm is the best because it fires quickly and does pretty good damage, and also does splash damage(although the hammer does too). It's only disadvantage is it's short range.