Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

news subhosted doomworld sites -- defeating popup ads

Do you think that your site is too good for popup ads? Do you think that just because a big popular site like Doomworld is being forced to run those horribly annoying popups, that doesn't mean that your relatively inconsequential hosted site should be held to those same guidelines? Is your mod or TC or resources page just too important to play by the same rules as everyone else? Is free bandwidth a god-given right that circumvents any responsibilities to your hosting provider? Would you prefer that Doomworld go under than be forced to run a popup ad? Well, too bad! As long as Linguica is being forced to deal with them, so will your hosted site!

If you use I.E. you can go to security, restricted sites then block mediamgr.ugo.com . THANKS FOR THE TIP ARIOCH :)

If you use I.E. you can go to security, restricted sites then block mediamgr.ugo.com . THANKS FOR THE TIP ARIOCH :)

and ad.doubleclick.net

Better than that (this for you, DoomBoy) got to download.com and get PopUpKiller. Or Pow! like deadanil said, but I prefer PUK.

Problem sorted. A chimpanzee and two trainees could use it, it's that easy.

You get to download a massive list of common advert popups and PUK will kill 'em in roughly 0.1 seconds.

Or it will kill all popups period, and you can hold down ctrl to open a new window if you want to.

Better than that (this for you, DoomBoy) got to download.com and get PopUpKiller. Or Pow! like deadanil said, but I prefer PUK.

*Nods* I, too, know the power of the Pop-up stopping programs... and they are great. Maybe I should start a mini cult preaching the evils of pop-ups... and sacrifice muffins or something instead of the usual goats and such. What a plan indeed....

Pardon, I'm still kinda weird ^.^;; I'm missing an organ... which is a damned good thing!

Linguica didn't need to edit my message since the method I thought I'd found did not work anyways. I'd urge everyone to block ads using the Windows hosts file or with some kind of software if you prefer that method.

Its somewhat ironic but the most popular browser of all and the most requested browser features would be IE and a way of disabling popups, but however as long as IE is the most popular browser microsoft are under too much commercial pressure to write something like that in!

/me strokes konqueror

Linguica didn't need to edit my message since the method I thought I'd found did not work anyways.

I think so, cause like he said, if he has to deal with pop-ups then so do the hosted sites.

I'd urge everyone to block ads using the Windows hosts file or with some kind of software if you prefer that method.

Well, I think we were gonna do that anyway ;)

If Telefragged had left the other ad scripts not generating popups it would fine and fair for subhosted sites to use them -- what I posted was just code from Telefragged's hosting guide. I had tested it last night and it seemed to not be generating any, but it did this morning so it was a false alert. I've just blocked the UGO server that's causing the popups on my computer so that it at least will not annoy *me* any more :->