Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Collecting Doom Stuff

hobomaster22 said:

Meh - doesn't even have the inlays, I picked one up a while back (still shrinkwrapped) for $1.49.

I notice people always instantly bid on these the second they hit. I wanted it pretty bad, but not 250 dollars bad. Must be other people other than doomers looking for these things?

Prices for Doom miniatures seem to gone crazy ever since the Cyberdemon prototypes were auctioned and I've noticed people go crazier than usual over miniatures that are still in their blister packs.

speaking of the miniatures i have a few of them i bought back during my D&D days still got them (not in the packaging) i decided to paint them back in the day, course the Pinky looks like a melted lego guy before i added the paint

Ah nice subject, Doom collections! I see some really nice stuff here.

I have been collecting Doom games for some time now and I was able to gather a few really nice items. How about a mail order release on 5.25" disks? (I never even heard about that before) I also have two original Doom releases with their mail order invoices. Pictures of my collection so far are below:

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~bruintjestm/DooM/IMG_1068.JPG
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~bruintjestm/DooM/IMG_1073.JPG

It is an open directory, more pictures can be found inside...

I'm trying to obtain all the officially released products (games only) but it is really hard to find some specific stuff. The mailorder release of Doom 1.9 on CD for example is really problematic. I have seen it only once but was unable to get the owner to sell it. I do have the CD but complete in box is a pain in the ass to find. Is there maybe someone around here that might have it?

I assume you mean the smaller ones on the left? Yes, all Doom I.

The second picture I linked shows the content of the boxes. From left to right:

Doom 1.1 (+ mailorder invoice)
Doom 1.1 (+ 1.2 patch disk)
Doom 1.2 on 5.25" Disks
Doom 1.2 (+ mailorder invoice)
Doom 1.2
Doom 1.666
Doom 1.9 CD only

Doom 1.9 boxed should have been listed here :(

*jaw hits the floor*

You know they'd go for like, US$250 each on eBay? No wonder it took me so long to find one, you have them all :P

Used to keep the Guru's book in my back-pack in 8th grade.. flip through that in supplementary reading. Lost it in a house fire, I miss that thing :\

omega_supreme said:

I assume you mean the smaller ones on the left? Yes, all Doom I.

The second picture I linked shows the content of the boxes. From left to right:

Doom 1.1 (+ mailorder invoice)
Doom 1.1 (+ 1.2 patch disk)
Doom 1.2 on 5.25" Disks
Doom 1.2 (+ mailorder invoice)
Doom 1.2
Doom 1.666
Doom 1.9 CD only

Doom 1.9 boxed should have been listed here :(

I'm jealous, especially of the 5.25" inch disks. I didn't even know they did that! Also, is there a reason you have two copies of the Depths of Doom Trilogy? I found this one quite silly. All mine has is a giant cardboard insert and 3 discs and really nothing else. Seems like a waste of space for a box bigger than the id Anthology!

I'm quite fond of that 5.25" copy, I just got it a few weeks back. I also never heard anything about it until I saw it pop up at the 3DRealms forum. The previous owner even mailed John Romero about it but Romero did not know much about it either. I suspect you really had to place a special order at ID for the 5.25" disk. The order menu in the game itself does mention the 5.25" format though. Anyway it was a really lucky find and it cost me a lot too. I don't think I will ever see one again.

About the depths of Doom: one is sealed and the other is not. In the rule I dont really like sealed stuff since the shrinkwrap really warps the boxes after it gets old. However on the pictures this one looked perfect, it wasn't but still nice to have a sealed copy as well. I like the bigger box format as the cyberdemon is quite substantial compared to the normal Doom II box.

behold, my almighty doom collection of pure awesome:

...thats it.

i got the doom 64 cart september 08 for £1 in a bargain bin. the first doom game i played.

i got the doom collectors edition off ebay for £15 in december 08 to get the IWADS since i fell in love with the pc shareware game. so far has been worth every penny.

Heh, no pictures, but I have:

- Doom Collector's Edition; came with the Doom 3 advertisement disc but I threw that away (<_<)
- Master Levels for Doom II (with Maximum Doom and encrypted copies of Ultimate Doom and Doom II which are easy to crack)
- Doom 3 Collector's Edition for the Xbox (includes Ultimate Doom and Doom II!) -- I have this with the special case made for it as well
- Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil for the Xbox (includes Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels) -- got this used, don't have a real cover (I have a scan of the actual cover, haven't gotten around to getting it printed yet)
- Doom on Xbox Live Arcade for the Xbox 360
- All the Doom games on Steam
- Masters of Doom
- Both Doom 3 novels

That's about it..

Looks a lot like my collection!
Haha, I did get a GBA back in the day just because Doom and Doom II were released for it. Doom II on GBA was a pretty good port too!

The biggest thing I regret giving away was a red holographic DOOM font cut out. It was a promotional thing for the movie but it was just the word "DOOM", my friends mom snagged it from Walmart when she worked there. I also lost my Depths of Doom Trilogy box somewhere when I moved :(

Ultraboy has the same doom collection as me except I also have a Doom 2 CD and replace that Doom64 cartridge with 3 copies of Doom for the GBA (unboxed). Oh and I have a Doom T-shirt too, it fits pretty tight on me though, I should probably get a new one if I can. I was never really interested in collecting doom memorabilia but I am still nothing less than a Doom enthusiast.

The Worst that happened to me was Having a Complete id Anthology Box (with the shirt) it was willed to me from my dad after he passed away, but long story short, the Evil ex-wife (my mother) sold it to some kid at a yard sale for 5 dollars because she wanted to get back the money dad owed her from the divorce that he wasn't able to pay after he died, she did that to most of my Doom stuff that really was a downer certainly after the judge let her off with a fine for selling my property with out my permission, which she paid with the money she got from SELLING the items I find it funny now that I can look back at it.

omega_supreme said:

I'm quite fond of that 5.25" copy, I just got it a few weeks back. I also never heard anything about it until I saw it pop up at the 3DRealms forum. The previous owner even mailed John Romero about it but Romero did not know much about it either. I suspect you really had to place a special order at ID for the 5.25" disk. The order menu in the game itself does mention the 5.25" format though. Anyway it was a really lucky find and it cost me a lot too. I don't think I will ever see one again.

My boxed Doom 1.2 has a Request for 5.25" disks form. Would have cost the original owner $5 to obtain them from Manaccom - who were the Australian distributor - wonder what would happen if I posted it off?

GreyGhost said:

My boxed Doom 1.2 has a Request for 5.25" disks form. Would have cost the original owner $5 to obtain them from Manaccom - who were the Australian distributor - wonder what would happen if I posted it off?

lol, I'm pretty sure they'd be out of stock. You could always give them a call and see. They are only 2 or 3 suburbs over from my work, I drive past their office semi-regularly.

Damn it would be awesome to have Doom on 5 1/4
Ive still got an old 386 with dual floppies.

I seen one on eBay ONCE way back when I first registered at these forums.

GreyGhost said:

Thats is quite interesting to hear. Was this the small mail order package from ID themselves? Do you have pictures available from it maybe?

Rather than filling it out and sending it to Manaccom, which would result in a waste of a perfect Doom collectible, send it over to my address ;)

@theromero happened to be uploading some old pics on Twitter today. He posted a small graphic of the signed Ultimate Doom poster, I mentioned I had a big one and showed him my shelf. He liked it so much he retweeted it :D

omega_supreme said:

Thats is quite interesting to hear. Was this the small mail order package from ID themselves? Do you have pictures available from it maybe?

Rather than filling it out and sending it to Manaccom, which would result in a waste of a perfect Doom collectible, send it over to my address ;)

No - Manaccom were handling production and distribution, using boxes a half-inch narrower than the Master Levels box. I'll post pictures later, first have to round up the boxes for a "family portrait" or two.

There's no mention of Doom on the request form so I suspect it's just a standard form Manacomm stuffed in the box at a time when many PC owners were still using 5.25" drives. You can have it - in exchange for a set of 5.25" Doom disks. ;-)

And I thought I had an extensive collection. I loved seeing the collections :-)

Not much of a collection but this will due however I do own the DOOM movie on DVD but I decided not to include it since I feel its not worthy of being in it.

Super Jamie said:

@theromero happened to be uploading some old pics on Twitter today. He posted a small graphic of the signed Ultimate Doom poster, I mentioned I had a big one and showed him my shelf. He liked it so much he retweeted it :D

Now that you mention it... How did you manage to get the folds out of that poster? Or is it a reprint instead of the original that shipped with The Ultimate Doom?

fraggle said:

There's also this poster that Peter Heinemann made several years back.

That's really awesome. Is it bad that I looked at the at_id.jpg and immediately the obscure Magic the Gathering box?