Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

Does anything compare to the BFG?

The BFG10k in Quake 3 is basically a super-fast rocket launcher. It doesn't carry a whole lot of similarity to the BFG9000.

Kagemaru_H said:

BFG10K in Skulltag.

Thats from Quake also, same with Grenade Launcher and Rail gun, Mini Gun I'm not too sure of, maybe quake or just randomly implemented.

Perfect Dark's Farsight. A one-hit kill railgun that can shoot and aim through an entire level.

The Artillery Strike from BF2. Sure, it doesn't look that impressive from the commander's perspective. But being caught in that made me wanna crawl in a hole and die. It also made me realize why it was called shellshock.

Postal 2's Desert Eagle. That thing was super-accurate from any distance, no bullet drop, no range limit, always dead-on accuracy and ridiculously easy to get headshots with it, even when the sniper rifle proper would make you miss. Unless you had to face hordes of angry talebans at close quarters, there was no better "general purpose" weapon.

If we speak about mass destruction however....then again Postal 2's Nuclear Facility (in the Apocalypse Weekend expansion) was easily the best ;-)

It is supposed to be a "no firearms" area where even a single pistol shot was pretty much guaranteed to strike one of the many stocked nuclear warheads, and cause a "smart bomb insta-kill" effect on everything on the level, including you. You were supposed to pass through that part using melee weapons only (and enemies used only melee weapons too), but at hardest difficulty levels they came equipped with firearms and usually set the fireworks off themselves ;-)

At some point I tried the game at a very high difficulty, only to discover that enemies either pulled firearms right away (causing the explosion themselves), or blocked ALL melee hits telling you "FUCK YOU, Buddy". Not good, since it was entirely random whether you could advance or not.

Until I noticed that if I stood as far back as possible from the tunnel that connected the lift area to the nuclear stockpile, and the "nukes" set off, the blast was actually survivable with "health crack" and armor (it was a large damage radius with a finite damage and not insta-kill). So I just fired a rocket in there, caused a mini-apocalypse that killed everyone but me (got me down to 50-something health though, starting from 125% and full armor), and walked in like a landlord to proceed with the mission with no more enemies for a while ;-)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, compares to the BFG 9000 in my book. What's more EXTREME than Postal Dude on crack setting a nuclear explosion right before his own face and then commenting "that's gonna be sore tomorrow".

Turok Evolution's Rocket Launcher's nuclear alternate ammunition probably deserves a mention...

Sadly, only nukes seem to really compare to the BFG9000 from Doom(2). How unfortunate - particularly as it's essentially a humungous rocket launcher as opposed to a very cool multiple-target weapon.

Giulio Galassi's super Cybie Fister razor glove? It could totally fist a cybie in 1-2 hits.

DeHackEd can create some killer weapons out of old Doom weapons, like Sky May Be's Instant Discharge Cannon and radiation mines.

Unreal II's Singularity Cannon.

Spoiler

You pick it up off a Tosc near the end of the game.

The Sigil in Strife, when you find all the pieces, is definitely on par with the BFG.

Also, Chuck Norris, Duke Nukem, and Segata Sanshiro.