Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom mail-order on CD?

I found myself a copy of what looks a mail order release of Doom on CD. This struck me as odd as I've only seen it on floppy in the long boxes and I have not been able to find any other info on it. (Maybe I just fail at google?)

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/hobomaster22/doomcd1.png
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/hobomaster22/doomcd2.png
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/hobomaster22/doomcd3.png

I loaded up the disk and it appears to be version 1.1 dated 12/16/1993. Loaded it up with dosbox and it is version 1.1 as it's missing Nightmare skill level. Does anybody know more about this?

It's odd one of the screens is a pwad (lost souls on a map with e1 sky??). Perhaps is a warez copy packed to look oficial or something.

Vegeta said:

It's odd one of the screens is a pwad (lost souls on a map with e1 sky??). Perhaps is a warez copy packed to look oficial or something.

Nope, it's legit. I just searched on google and this came up:

Vegeta said:

This is exactly what is on the back of the floppy disk version. Also, Doom 2 has a picture on the back with a chaingunner and the e1 sky and those clearly are not fake. :P

From the Official DOOM FAQ v6.666 by Hank Leukart (5-5-3, Dec 10 1994):

The registered version of DOOM purchased on CD-ROM ANYWHERE
is illegal.

The first official release of DOOM on CD-ROM (not counting the shareware) was Ultimate DOOM, in 1995. AFAIK, the registered version (the first three episodes) was never officially released on CD in North America. What you have is most likely the Canadian bootleg that circulated on the market at the end of 1993 and throughout 1994. I recall there were discussions about it on the newsgroups (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games and later alt.games.doom) at the time and either Jay Wilbur or Romero confirmed it was not a legit release.

Too bad about the crappy photos, you can't really tell much from them. And the most important part - the tray insert, where the date and company info are usually printed - is absent.

Anyway, congratulations. You have a remarkable rarity on your hands.

Canadian bootleg! That I didn't know. Here's the thread we were last discussing that (amongst other things) in and some scans for comparison...

(2175x980 - 294k)

(1960x960 - 356k)

(1940x1500 - 470k)

Stop stalking me with that thread already, GeeGee! ;D
"Canadian" could be a red herring, can't find it now. How about "German"?
Edit: I have a premonition that next time this topic comes up I'll be (loosely) quoting Tom Hall condemning the Australian bootleg CDROM.

Never_Again said:
What you have is most likely the Canadian bootleg that circulated on the market at the end of 1993 and throughout 1994.[/B]

Thank you. This seems to be it. I pulled out the manual and compared it to my registered 1.2 manual. I noticed the first and last pages are blank, it's not in color, and the info on how to contact id software is missing. Too bad it's not real. But v1.1 counterfeit from Canada from 93/94 on a CD is very interesting. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't look like complete crap. Had me fooled for a bit!

Never_Again said:

"Canadian" could be a red herring, can't find it now. How about "German"?

To further confuse the issue, the CD's EAN barcode suggests a British manufacturer. That should let us Aussies off the hook. ;)

EDIT - That's assuming the barcode isn't also bootlegged, which could be the case since a database search didn't turn up any owner or product information. My gut instinct still says this is a South-East Asian bootleg.

Ahh look, a player shooting frame that was never used on the upper left of the first page.