Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JonL

Doom related longplays requested

Hello everyone.
I'd like to tell you about the Longplay community.
As stated on longplays.org, "A longplay is a play-through of a computer or video game, created with the intent of completing it as fully as possible, mainly for the purposes of nostalgia, preservation, and possibly as a walkthrough."
So basically, longplays are videos demonstrating video games.

Lately, I've recorded longplays of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Hexen.
Some viewers have asked for a longplay of Final Doom, Strife and Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel. I don't feel like recording those, as I've other projects in store.

So if you're interested in adding to the longplay community, you're very welcome.
You don't actually need to be an exceptional player (I'm certainly not), as longplays are more focused on demonstrating the game and being entertaining to watch than highlighting the player's skills.
You don't really need to know a lot about video editing (I didn't know anything about it when I started recording) as you can refer to a detailed, step by step tutorial posted in the Longplays.org forums, and the admins are always happy to help with recording problems on their IRC channel.
Note that recording a game is time consuming! Recording Heretic Shadow of the Serpent Riders took me something like 40 hours in all.

In any case, you may want to have a look at the existing longplays (they're also posted on Youtube for your convenience) and laugh out loud at my blatant mistakes. :op

Hope to see you long time Doomers among Longplayers... ;o)
JonL

You could consider recording Doom demos and putting them together to make long videos.

There's an UV Maxmovie of Plutonia from VinceDSS, you should ask him if you want to record his demo.

Didn't Longplays start with the Commodore 64?

Man, I was hooked on those videos for a while. Probably because I owned literally hundreds of C64 games as a child but was unable to beat a single damned one of them.

@PimPamPet: Thanks a lot. Not very spectacular, but adequate I guess.

@Jodwin: Yes, but the fact here is that I'm not interested in recording anymore Doom longplays. I've done my share, and I was looking for someone to take over. ^^

@K!r4: I should have a look at that demo. Thanks for the tip!

@Bucket: Indeed, there are lots of C64 (http://www.c64-longplays.de/) and Amiga (http://www.recordedamigagames.org/) longplays too. Love that little yellowish breadbox.

JonL said:

@Jodwin: Yes, but the fact here is that I'm not interested in recording anymore Doom longplays. I've done my share, and I was looking for someone to take over. ^^

You could just put your computer to record someone else's demo for the night, no? That doesn't sound too hard.

I can't reach doom2.net at the moment, so I can't check the Compet-n database, but I don't think I would find any suitable demo there, because they're all played as hard as possible or as fast as possible or in Tyson mode or whatever. In a nutshell, they're competition entries.

The longplay definition in itself is not precise enough to rule out such demos, but when I hear "nostalgia, preservation, walkthrough", I expect movies that demonstrate the game in its default form (default skill level and so on), not played as fast as possible, on nightmare skill or with the -turbo option.

Have a look at TNTmax then - a complete recording of TNT: Evilution on UV with 100% kills and secrets. It is also a Compet-N entry, but is pretty laidback by Compet-N standards. The author wasn't too concerned with the time because there is virtually no competition in that category.

The Plutonia max is more of a speedrun, due to the much shorter distance (not to mention a greatly superior player :), but don't hold your breath for an alternative. Unfortunately, the max movie category is a desolate plain that few have the will and dedication to cross. It's way cooler to flit through a single level on UV Speed, wow everybody with your ingenious new trick that saves a whole three seconds over the previous record and go back to your milk and cookies.

JonL said:

I can't reach doom2.net at the moment, so I can't check the Compet-n database, but I don't think I would find any suitable demo there, because they're all played as hard as possible or as fast as possible or in Tyson mode or whatever. In a nutshell, they're competition entries.

The longplay definition in itself is not precise enough to rule out such demos, but when I hear "nostalgia, preservation, walkthrough", I expect movies that demonstrate the game in its default form (default skill level and so on), not played as fast as possible, on nightmare skill or with the -turbo option.

Edit /etc/hosts (google it if you don't know what I'm talking about) and add the following:

195.197.184.88 doom2.net
195.197.184.88 *.doom2.net

GhostlyDeath said:
Edit /etc/hosts (google it if you don't know what I'm talking about) and add the following:

Does that work for you? On my end, it doesn't. Although 195.197.184.88 doom2.net does work, for the web site.

I use a web proxy to access the demos on the FTP.