Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunner

Doom Tribute Complete - DOWNLOAD FREE

Click here to download for free:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=537637925&blogId=538019473

For more info:
http://www.myspace.com/steverotsdoomtribute

All of this is free, and all I ask of you is that you spam the shit out of everyone you know to my original music and tell everyone to buy my album when it gets on iTunes in a few weeks.

http://www.myspace.com/steverot
http://www.wix.com/steverot/steverot

INFO:
Steve Rot's Doom Tribute is a tribute to the music of Doom, the iD Software video game from 1993. It was originally composed by Bobby Prince. While preserving the moods of the original soundtrack, it updated it's original MIDI instrumentation to real audio and original performances by musician, producer, and audio engineer Steve Rot from Scarborough, Canada. The collection was released as a free MP3 download on 5 August 2010.

The collection includes two volumes: Hell On Earth: Steve Rot's Doom 2 Tribute, and Phobos Anomaly: Steve Rot's Doom Tribute.

This collection includes two volumes:

Hell On Earth: Steve Rot's Doom 2 Tribute
Recorded: August 5, 2010
Run time: 1:12:57

Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Steve Rot.
Additional composition and original performances by Steve Rot.

All songs written by Bobby Prince, © 1993-1994.
Doom is a registered trademark of iD Software.

1 Doom 2 Title
2 Intermission
3 Endgame
4 Map01
5 Map02
6 Map03
7 Map04
8 Map05
9 Map06
10 Map07
11 Map08
12 Map09
13 Map10
14 Map18
15 Map20
16 Map23
17 Map25
18 Map28
19 Map30
20 Map31
21 Map32

Phobos Anomaly: Steve Rot's Doom Tribute
Recorded: August 5, 2010
Run time: 31:27

Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Steve Rot.
Additional composition and original performances by Steve Rot.

All songs written by Bobby Prince, © 1993-1994.
Doom is a registered trademark of iD Software.

1 Intro Music
2 E1M1 Hangar
3 E1M2 Nuclear Plant
4 E1M3 Toxin Refinery
5 E1M4 Command Control
6 E1M5 Phobos Lab
7 E1M6 Central Processing
8 E1M7 Computer Station
9 E1M8 Phobos Anomaly
10 E1M9 Military Base
11 Interlevel Music
12 Victory (End Of Episode)
13 Bunny (End Game)

I'm not too fond of most of doom's music, so I may be biased, but those trumpet and xylophone samples are killing me.

That said, the drums are rather stellar and you have some really cool interpretations while still remaining faithful to the originals. Not done with it yet... map07 is playing now, best version I've ever heard of it.

Vorpal said:

Not done with it yet... map07 is playing now,

Thank you for listening to the whole thing and appreciating the concept of an album and not just listening to the hits on shuffle.

Yea I'm not too fond of some Doom songs myself. The song they chose for The Icon Of Sin does not do it any justice at all and when I did E1M1, I thought Metallica was going to sue me.

Herculine said:

May these be used in new WAD releases?

Yes. You mean you're going to attach 150mb of audio to a 5mb WAD?

Gunner said:

Yes. You mean you're going to attach 150mb of audio to a 5mb WAD?

Well, I'd have to squeeze it down into an ogg file or something if I did... I just like to cover my bases and get permission in advance before doing anything crazy. Thanks, and thanks for the great music!

Herculine said:

Well, I'd have to squeeze it down into an ogg file or something if I did... I just like to cover my bases and get permission in advance before doing anything crazy. Thanks, and thanks for the great music!

Sure. Only if you tell me when it's done so I can play it. Use that PM thing at the bottom of this message please.

Gunner said:

Sure. Only if you tell me when it's done so I can play it. Use that PM thing at the bottom of this message please.

Will do. Might be a while though... each of my previous maps I only spent about two weeks on each, but this one I'm putting a lot more effort into. And then there's the issue of some people will complain if the music is an ogg file and not compatible with every stinking thing, so I still have to decide...

Great job. My favorite is the E1M3 song for atmosphere and Intermission from Doom 1 for the fantastic guitars and drums. I don't like too much E1M1 - this guitar plays a slightly different riff than the original. Since yesterday, I still listen this stuff. Thank you for your work, this music is a great inspiration.

Reinchard666 said:

I don't like too much E1M1 - this guitar plays a slightly different riff than the original.

Thank you for your compliments, and my version of E1M1 is note by note exactly how the original was written. Don't make me deathmatch your ass over this.

I like most of it. I haven't listened to all of them yet, but you stay close to the originals while adding your own unique flavor. And you actually use organs effectively! Nice job.

But as good as your Sign of Evil remix is, nothing can compare to Sonic Clang's work.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

But as good as you Sign of Evil remix is, nothing can compare to Sonic Clang's work.

I disagree. While Clang's version was fucking amazing, I prefer the original notation of the song more. I think this version is the best remake I've heard.

My overall thoughts so far on what I've listened to:

E1M1 - Eh, I don't like it. Feels like it's missing a note. Maybe it's just the palm mute though.
E1M4 - Love it. Man, that sounds bitchin'!
E1M6 - Kind of a "swing and a miss" I don't like the chiming, or at least the sound of it. I think if it was louder or a little deeper, it'd fit really nice. Guitar on the main rift should probably be slightly "dirtier"
E1M8 - As stated above.

Map 01 - I love how out the bass is with the track. It sounds amazing! I think the guitar solo overdrive should be dropped down a little in tone (trying to think of the exact wording, I have a brainfart atm though.) Deeper notes and a bit louder, since it becomes the focus of the song. Overall, I like your version a lot =]
Map 07 - Beautiful. I liked the styling you put on it.
Map 08 - Was hoping for a bigger improv with the guitar, but all in all, fair.
Map 09 - sexy =]
Map 10 - Chilling! =D
Map 18 - The bass kind of ruins it. The song is supposed to be peaceful and hopeless, and the bass just brings too much power to it.
Map 30-32 - All very nice versions, no real comments.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, you did a great job! :D

eargosedown said:

E1M1 - Eh, I don't like it. Feels like it's missing a note. Maybe it's just the palm mute though.
/B]

My version of E1M1 is perfect. It is a note-by-note duplication of the original and there is not a single note or accent missing. It's everyone else who plays that song who is wrong for five reasons:

- They play double open root notes instead of one single palm-muted note
- They don't play the augmented 4th at the end of each measure
- They don't change the root at the end of each 12 bar sequence
- They don't play the chromatic down-scale followed by a minor 6th
- They don't get the harmony right during the second half of the song, in which the scale changes

It's fine, I'm not complaining about how other people play guitar, but I will deathmatch your ass over this.

eargosedown said:

Map 01 - I love how out the bass is with the track. It sounds amazing! I think the guitar solo overdrive should be dropped down a little in tone (trying to think of the exact wording, I have a brainfart atm though.) Deeper notes and a bit louder, since it becomes the focus of the song. Overall, I like your version a lot =]
/B]

You should've seen the blister playing those slaps left on my thumb. It was like a thumb volcano.

Gunner said:

You should've seen the blister playing those slaps left on my thumb. It was like a thumb volcano.

Been there, done that, it hurts like a BITCH.

Least they'll usually callous up after.

edit; just compared your E1M1 to the actual midi, and I think the difference is a bit of echo on the main rift. That's why it sounds so different at first.

Out of curiosity, what type of guitar did you use? =]

eargosedown said:

edit; just compared your E1M1 to the actual midi, and I think the difference is a bit of echo on the main rift. That's why it sounds so different at first.

Out of curiosity, what type of guitar did you use? =]

I don't know how the Doom MIDI sounds to you PC guys, but if it sounds anything like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw), what you're hearing is reverb, not echo. That means the notes aren't being repeated like in a cave, they're just being sustained in a certain way.

I use an Epi Les Paul Custom with .013 ga strings tuned to B.

I only have dial-up so I can't listen, but did you load the midis into powertab or something to make sure every note was perfect?

TimeOfDeath said:

I only have dial-up so I can't listen, but did you load the midis into powertab or something to make sure every note was perfect?

Real audio, sometimes synths like in E1M3 and E1M7

Aren't you sick of hearing MIDI?

I still like midi. But I was just curious if you loaded the original midis into powertab or guitar pro or something to make sure all the notes are perfect, before you recorded everything.

Excellent renditions, and it is a pleasure to hear a real guitar rendition from time to time, instead of those 100% MIDI "remakes". Will definitively be burning those to CD for my listening pleasure ;-)

Maes said:

Excellent renditions, and it is a pleasure to hear a real guitar rendition from time to time, instead of those 100% MIDI "remakes". Will definitively be burning those to CD for my listening pleasure ;-)

I always thought that guitar and flute MIDI instruments were the worst.

If you want to hear Doom music in MIDI I suggest using Roland instruments. I don't know about you PC guys but Mac sounds like it has Roland MIDI, stock. It's actually not that bad compared to the Soundblaster version.

If you want a real audio version, it goes without saying.