Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Technician

Doom Galaxy

I was watching a Super Mario Galaxy video and it hit me like a ton a shit.

DM on a large sized sphere would be totally killer. Could you imagine running around a round surface shotgun rapping your enemies on an infamous axis. I can assume Doom's limited 2.5 engine could never support a 3D sphere in this concept. I'm not a programmer so I can't wrap my brain around it.

Now, I'm out of current FPS know, but is there or was there an FPS with this type of mechanic.

Maybe I just had too much sugar.

Well... not quite the same, but many years ago I released a map set called "Get Lost!" where the map was as large as possibly possible and the edges of the map just wrapped around via silent teleports. Uh... it was fun, especially with more than 4 players or so, but the fraglimit had to be set really low because just encountering a player was an uncommon occurrence.

The only similar thing I can recall to this concept was Blockland, where if you kept travelling in one direction you would eventually wrap around... but in an alternate dimension. The landscape was the same, but I guess you could say the world tiled instead of wrapping around. I don't really know of any games that actually wrapped around, to be honest.

One thing you have to realize, is that when on a giant sphere, you normally don't notice that it's round. Remember when people thought the world was flat? I'd imagine even a fraction of that diameter would still seem rather flat. So you wouldn't necessarily have the map actually be spherical. It's all about seamlessly wrapping it together.

There is another consideration: games are mostly based on a grid (usually a square). It's not really feasible to build such a 3D game with maps that would conform to an actual sphere.

Serious Sam FE and SE has all sorts of gravity features and an easy editor, there were several (i believe) player-made maps on spheres.

Not exactly a giant sphere, but the most gravity oriented FPS I've seen was Shattered Horizon. As far as I know it was a complete commercial failure, and the community is reduced to a few hardcore players (in a MP only game, that makes it tough for any newcomer).

That would actually be a pretty fun idea for a doom mod, so long as it can be pulled off as well as it was in the Serious Sam games and mods(of course considering engine differences). Beyond that and what's already been mentioned by Antroid and FuzzballFox, I can't really think of any FPS that does such a thing.