Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Texture brownwel in Original IWAD?

I opened my Doom 1 iwad and noticed an unusual texture named brownwel, it looks like a brown surface with a wheel or welt of some sort on it. I've never seen it used in a map before and it doesn't seem to fit with the other textures, so is it supposed to be there?

It's used in E2M3 in that Cacodemon cage. I'd like some day to make or have a switch texture based on it.

I've always liked that one, precisely because it's infrequently used. It's too bad the texture doesn't tile vertically. :(

I always used to think those were doors for some reason back when I first played the map, and I spent forever trying to figure out how to open the cage. :P

printz said:

It's used in E2M3 in that Cacodemon cage.

Far as I remember, that's the only place it was used.

Also far as I remember, it should fit with the brownhug texture.

Confirmed: the 16 linedefs of the Caco cage on E2M3 are the only instances of this texture in IWADs. Ha, I recall trying to get into that cage as well 15 years ago. ;)

There are a handful of textures used sparsely in the Doom IWAD such as the SKINTEK1/2, SKINBORD and others I can't be arsed to look up at this hour.

I think GREYDANG is the least used doom texture. It's only used on two sidedefs, and only one of those is visible to the player. Both are in E2M6.

Never_Again said:

Confirmed: the 16 linedefs of the Caco cage on E2M3 are the only instances of this texture in IWADs. Ha, I recall trying to get into that cage as well 15 years ago. ;)

Me too.