Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brianthebeast

Why do you like Doom?

Mithran Denizen said:

The plasmagun and the single shotgun are much cooler. The BFG and SSG are both clumsy, poorly balanced weapons with shitty sprite animations and irritating sounds.[/rant]

Bull-fucking-shit. The SSG is the best DM weapon in the known galaxy. It's also essential to use in harder made maps(Plutonia and such). If you know how to properly use the SSG, it maybe the most addictive gun in FPS history.

Once you master the "watering the flowers" projectiles of the pLasma-rifle, yeah, it's killer too.

^ I have to agree, the SSG is the most satisfying weapon in the history of everything Doom related (well, Doom II related). It's also the reason I was addicted to Doom II growing up. If ever I played any other games I would be drawn back to Doom II because of how much I missed killing Hell Knights and Cacodemons with that weapon.

SSG is nice for some close-up combat with "medium" monsters (except pain elemental), but my favorite weapon is a plasma gun with 600 energy cells. ;)

Think Mithran was being sarcastic, dear.

The SSG is the big brother to the shotgun from the original game and is extremely versatile on a lot of enemies, especially the new ones in the sequel which beg for twenty simultaneous pellets. It's only real drawbacks being the wide spread at long range, slower speed and using twice as many shells per shot, but the death and destruction that you potentially lay in your wake is well worth it.

It's also a great Army of Darkness reference; who'd figure that some lone dude actually kicked a large percentage of the enemy's ass with nothing but a sawed off, double barreled shotgun? The practicality of using such a weapon IRL against a significant portion of those monstrosities is questionable.

Unless you're Doomguy that is.

EDIT: Not to mention I don't think firing both barrels at once would feel very pleasant. But this is coming from the guy who fires his rocket launcher between his legs. The man is a masochist.

Mithran Denizen said:

The plasmagun and the single shotgun are much cooler. The BFG and SSG are both clumsy, poorly balanced weapons with shitty sprite animations and irritating sounds.[/rant]

What?!You tell me a weapon that does 4x the damage of another weapon at that same cost is actually worse than that weapon?What the hell is wrong with you?

I've always wondered how the shotguns could be rebalanced. The regular shotty becomes largely useless once you get the double-barreled, and only comes in handy in very specialized areas where the perfectly-horizontal spread is advantageous, like against large targets at moderate ranges (Arachnotrons, Mancubi), or enemies at significant elevations.

Rebalancing the SSG by making it only fire 14 pellets per shot (exactly double the regular shotty) reduces its usefulness tremendously.

One of the better ideas seems to be to increase the loading time of the SSG. Since each shot does roughly three times as much damage as one regular shotgun shot, then delay the SSG reload so it takes roughly the same amount of time to perform as three regular shotgun attacks. The SSG still makes your ammo go longer by giving you 3 extra pellets per shell, but then regular shotgun doesn't leave you defenseless and unable to attack for as long as the SSG, and lets you stun and slow the enemy with the quicker firing rate.

Alternately, I guess you could just really tighten up the spread of the regular shotgun so it can pick off much further-away targets, but then that might cut into the function of the chaingun.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/50196-after-super-shotgun-why-go-back-some-do/

We all agreed to disagree.

If anything, judging from a certain mapper's maps, denying the player access to an "easy" Super Shotgun early on, especially with Doom II middle tier monsters on the loose, is an easy and cheap way to inflate the difficulty considerably, so yeah, if faced mostly with Doom II mid-tier monsters, it's pretty much a handicap.

Otherwise, when ammo conservation is an issue, it may become an asset. There's no one-size-fits-all solution here. A good compromise between the two would be an auto shotgun with the power of the regular shotgun but more rapid fire: you would get faster kills and be able to tackle higher level monsters with ease, but without the "magic pellet multiplication" effect of the SSG, which inflates your ammo effectiveness.

killer2 said:

What?!You tell me a weapon that does 4x the damage of another weapon at that same cost is actually worse than that weapon?What the hell is wrong with you?

When did I say either is a worse weapon? I said that they aren't as cool as the shotgun and the plasmagun, that they weren't as well balanced, and that their art isn't as pleasing to me.

Part of my distaste stems from the fact that the SSG is too powerful and overshadows the other weapons (though mainly the chaingun); particularly since it increases the gap between shells and bullets in the ratio of ammo capacity : damage potential. I realize that there are other factors that work to temper the SSG as well (many of them more relevant in DM), but I can't help but feel that it screwed up the fairly nice balance that I'd grown accustomed to in the original game. Yeah, it's 2011, and I still like to bitch about nitpicky crap like this.

Much of the above sentiment is shared in my opinion of the BFG9000 (though less so), but with some other qualms -- on one hand, I don't really like it for the way that it makes the boss monsters a non-challenge, and on the other, I've never really found it as satisfying to use as the other weapons. I think this owes largely to the retarded damage mechanism and the weapon's overall clunkiness, but I've never really been able to put my finger on it.

No, I'm not being sarcastic, though I understand that few will agree with my opinion. But when I think of the weapons in Doom that I consider most fun and/or iconic, the single shotgun, the rocket launcher, the chainsaw, and the plasmagun all come to mind first.

Maes: i know what you mean about a cheap way to harden a map, but ultimately the Super shotgun is probably the most powerful weapon considering the usual formula within maps of giving plenty of "box of shells", maybe it would be interesting in a map/few maps to limit shotgun ammo and make you rely on the chaingun,

anyone got any examples of maps that do so?

DOOM is awesome because it is fast-paced loaded game, more stylish than Wolfenstein, and sometimes easier. Well some people tells me that DOOM is not fun at all.

The weapon Super Shotgun is widely used for giving extra combact. Hense, rocket launcher has the splashy blast which 2 times more powerful than SSG, I think.

phobosdeimos1: I don't think so, but some maps of Scythe X/Speed of Doom megawads have the trick, I think.

Sheepmyshaver123 said:

DOOM is awesome because it is fast-paced loaded game, more stylish than Wolfenstein, and sometimes easier. Well some people tells me that DOOM is not fun at all.

The weapon Super Shotgun is widely used for giving extra combact. Hense, rocket launcher has the splashy blast which 2 times more powerful than SSG, I think.

phobosdeimos1: I don't think so, but some maps of Scythe X/Speed of Doom megawads have the trick, I think.

Congratulations!You just murdered english!

brianthebeast said:

what are the reasons you people like doom?

Because it's a good game. So good that it's still playable and tinkered with by the Doom community eighteen years since it's inception.

Monster infighting: rather uncommon outside of Doom
Demos: both watching and recording Speedrunning is such a departure from my casual playstyle that I enjoy the mental challenge of covering a map efficiently.
Separate strafe keys: I keenly felt the absence of these when going back to Wolfenstein 3d. Lasted less than 5 minutes before deciding it wasn't worth my time.

I have other reasons that have already been stated and chose to focus on other motivations.

Beyond its merits as a game, it just feels so damn comfortable and carefree slipping into a game of Doom after so many years. It makes Hell feel like home.

And amen to monster infighting as a dynamic, frequent occurrence instead of some lame scripted event (or, most common, non-entity). Still cracks me up. I love watching gangly, awkward Revenants punch weaker monsters to death.

Because It was made by like 5 dudes in their early twenties in a basement but it was the most advanced game at the time.

It has an incredible "hand made" feel to it, the monster designs where made by scanning in clay models, so what your seeing isn't some computer designed monster, someone crafted it with their with bare hands! Games don't have stuff like that anymore and it's a shame.

Theirs an awesome vid series on youtube about Id Software showing the history of the people behind doom from the late 80's up to now. It's based on the book "masters of doom" and shows some amazing behind the scenes pics and stuff (i ordered the book masters of doom immediately after seeing the doc)

link for it below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YreEwtV7D0&feature=fvsr