The Doom Confessional Booth

Ragnor said:

True enough, but Episode 4 STILL gets ignored :/

I forgot Doom 2 was actually getting such a project for it, guess its because of how bad a taste the Doom 1 project leaves with the fate of the Romero level suggestions, along with ignoring E4, despite how many maps ended up in side projects (No End in Sight, Lost Episodes..)

Since this was brought up elsewhere recently, I feel the need to clarify that Romero didn't suggest any levels in DTWID. He suggested a couple of names and ideas for levels. He didn't play the actual submissions or decide anything about them. Quite a few attempts were made by various contributors to make levels based on his names and map concepts, but in the end those attempts weren't really working out, so that was that.

Share this post


Link to post
esselfortium said:

Since this was brought up elsewhere recently, I feel the need to clarify that Romero didn't suggest any levels in DTWID. He suggested a couple of names and ideas for levels. He didn't play the actual submissions or decide anything about them. Quite a few attempts were made by various contributors to make levels based on his names and map concepts, but in the end those attempts weren't really working out, so that was that.


You replied to this thread the very second I entered the exit from Olmec's fight in Spelunky. Got to the City of Gold, too.

I wonder how many people from ID are into the Doom community itself?

Share this post


Link to post
esselfortium said:

Since this was brought up elsewhere recently, I feel the need to clarify that Romero didn't suggest any levels in DTWID. He suggested a couple of names and ideas for levels. He didn't play the actual submissions or decide anything about them. Quite a few attempts were made by various contributors to make levels based on his names and map concepts, but in the end those attempts weren't really working out, so that was that.


I explained this a previous thread where Ragnor raised this so I think he's aware. I think he feels the fact John Romero casually threw a few hypothetical level names into the discussion warranted these names be worked into levels that should automatically get a place in the megawad.

Share this post


Link to post

I never understood the mass hate for Rubas maps.
Okay they don't look great and use ss and commander keens at random sometimes but the maps of his I have played have always been fun and have a nice old school charm to them. Killing adventure is much praised in the speedrunning community :)

Share this post


Link to post

- never played through the whole doom2, just a few levels and only in old 90's
- didnt play most of the largely kwnown wads (MM, MM2, just partially scythe,AV, epic, tvr,eternal,doom64 and master levels, doom3 even if I have the original bought, etc...) due to lack of time and interest, and I focused on a minor amount of wads
- while demorecording I most likely would bite anybody entering my room even to say hello (I like Istantly lose concentration and die miserably everytime lol)
- doom1 maps turns to appear always boring without a couple enemies and the SSG I'm addicted
- I'm playing doom still, just because I cant find any other decent time-eater :p

Share this post


Link to post
Scypek2 said:

I just had a dream about having sex with Pain Elemental O.o

LOL. Do Pain Elementals have penises???

Share this post


Link to post
Scypek2 said:

I just had a dream about having sex with Pain Elemental O.o


I don't even...

Share this post


Link to post
Scypek2 said:

I just had a dream about having sex with Pain Elemental O.o

That would be quite a painful experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Jason said:

That would be quite a painful experience.

Even if he was "daddy" :D

Share this post


Link to post

I've never bothered to completely play through Deadalus.

Share this post


Link to post

I have already ripped each and every midi from the 1994 Tune-up wad (Not for more specific purposes than listening to them as relaxation while mapping!!!), but I still don't know the playthrough of several maps in it.

Share this post


Link to post

I confess:

I've never beaten every level with 100% kills or secrets on any IWAD. I'm in the proceeds of rectifying that right now, up to E1M6 and refusing to advance until I find all secrets.

Some have been a fucker as yet; I'm talking to YOU, non-obvious walls in E1M2 and E1M5. Also, chaingun secret in E1M9. What the fuck?

Share this post


Link to post

One thing I also failed to mention is that I haven't recorded a demo for DSDA with monsters in ages. Fortunately, I just made a tyson last
night for 1monster.. so hopefully it'll be on DSDA Sunday or Monday!

Share this post


Link to post

Having been shocked to see that there are people who find Doom to be new or fascinating still (shocked, but approving all the same) I realise I've become so accustomed to having Doom in my life that I almost consider it a natural bodily function.

Share this post


Link to post
ComicMischief said:

I confess:

I've never beaten every level with 100% kills or secrets on any IWAD. I'm in the proceeds of rectifying that right now, up to E1M6 and refusing to advance until I find all secrets.

Some have been a fucker as yet; I'm talking to YOU, non-obvious walls in E1M2 and E1M5. Also, chaingun secret in E1M9. What the fuck?

For years I always forgot you have to shoot the wall in the optional COMP* maze. I just went around humping the walls, knowing there was a secret there, and wondering why I didn't get the *usefail sound on that one section. I would just run around and back to that spot, hoping to trigger a hidden linedef somewhere.

This probably dates back to me not being aware of shootable walls until I started playing Doom 2 -- I simply thought that this feature was not present in Doom 1.

Share this post


Link to post

I made revenant's rockets shoot plasma. AT HIM. Is there anything more dumb in Zdoom than its understanding of "target"? Then, I tried ugly hacks and got revenant's rockets homing at him and passing through him, making caco death sound. I give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Scypek2 said:

I made revenant's rockets shoot plasma. AT HIM. Is there anything more dumb in Zdoom than its understanding of "target"? Then, I tried ugly hacks and got revenant's rockets homing at him and passing through him, making caco death sound. I give up.

I was wrong stating that there are not stranger things than barking textures.

Share this post


Link to post

I never actually played completely through any of the original iwads.

Haven't played completely through any 32 level megawads.

I've usually only completed any wads that were around 15 levels or less in length.

Almost ever play single level wads.

Only just played multi-player for the first time a few days ago. Been playing single player only for about 10+ years.

Share this post


Link to post

I never completed Plutonia (I got up to map 28). I completed the others though. My biggest confession is that I played PSX Doom before the PC one, the PC one I first played when I was 11. EDIT: A little extension to the confession that I just remembered, when I first played the original PC versions I thought the sound was reduced and didn't really like the sound too much (the effects and music).

Share this post


Link to post
Springy said:

EDIT: A little extension to the confession that I just remembered, when I first played the original PC versions I thought the sound was reduced and didn't really like the sound too much (the effects and music).


I always preferred the psx sound and music to the original pc ones too ever since I first heard them.

Speaking of, I never actually played the psx Doom on the actual console. Only by way of the PSX Doom TC. I have played Doom 64 on the console though.

Share this post


Link to post

I love Scythe but I never completed it because of the ''run from it'' map. It's very anoying.

Share this post


Link to post
bloodfalls said:

I love Scythe but I never completed it because of the ''run from it'' map. It's very anoying.


I can beat that map just fine, but I agree that it does get annoying sometimes. One wrong step and you're probably done (in UV you must beat the map in 30-31 seconds before you're dead).

Share this post


Link to post
Brewtal_Legend said:

I always preferred the psx sound and music to the original pc ones too ever since I first heard them.

Speaking of, I never actually played the psx Doom on the actual console. Only by way of the PSX Doom TC. I have played Doom 64 on the console though.

I still have my console version (I don't know where my final doom one went too though). The N64 version for me I've only ever played on the PC version but have waited a few years for it on VC still not on there.

Share this post


Link to post

I have been making maps since 1995, and have only completed 1 map. Temple of Skulls. Which was the featured map picture on the new stuff on the main page which MADE ME SO FUCKING HAPPY

Share this post


Link to post

I find that Blue Fire's Doom Expanded mixes PSX Doom sounds and PC sounds really well, while adding in new ones. The item pickups are still jarring, but the monsters are great

Share this post


Link to post
joedotts said:

I have been making maps since 1995, and have only completed 1 map. Temple of Skulls. Which was the featured map picture on the new stuff on the main page which MADE ME SO FUCKING HAPPY

Oh, so I'm still not late with my 3 year old mapping and releasing practically nothing.

Share this post


Link to post

I have never beaten Point Dreadful (map 30 from AV).
I have to play a lot of pwads on HMP.
I had to turn the difficulty down to HNTR for Deus Vult 1's second stage, and have still never beaten its fourth stage.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now