The Doom Confessional Booth

40oz said:

If I'm playing a wad that's too easy, I tend to throw myself into unreasonably precarious situations. I'll bare hand imps with unberserked fists, round up revenant missiles into a fiery deathball, or see how many times I can fake them out and miss their punches, chainsaw cacodemons and hell knights, and back myself into the corner closest to the monsters to see if I can escape.


I'll grant you the rest, but doesn't everyone chainsaw tomatoes, given half a chance? They can't do anything about it as a rule, and it's six shells saved every time...

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

If I'm playing a wad that's too easy, I tend to throw myself into unreasonably precarious situations. I'll bare hand imps with unberserked fists, round up revenant missiles into a fiery deathball, or see how many times I can fake them out and miss their punches, chainsaw cacodemons and hell knights, and back myself into the corner closest to the monsters to see if I can escape. How I've learned to laugh when something kills me, and to endanger myself when the challenge is light lets me get considerable enjoyment out of every wad I play.


In my case, I almost always play with -fast, and if I feel it's still too easy, I'll sometimes try -respawn. And if it happens to be a very hard wad, sometimes I play in skill 1 with -fast and -respawn. That's one of the things I love most of this game: It's really easy to adjust the difficulty level for your own tastes/skill with a combination of five skill levels and those two parameters.

Share this post


Link to post
damerell said:

I'll grant you the rest, but doesn't everyone chainsaw tomatoes, given half a chance? They can't do anything about it as a rule, and it's six shells saved every time...


I often do if they're in a position that fits it and I'm not drowning in ammo, but because you sometimes get unlucky and they bite you, it's often safer to just spend the ammo.

Share this post


Link to post
plums said:

I often do if they're in a position that fits it and I'm not drowning in ammo, but because you sometimes get unlucky and they bite you, it's often safer to just spend the ammo.


Now I look... yes. I've been thinking for years I was just letting them get loose and taking damage then, but given their relatively quick windup time before attacking, you're right, they do have a reasonable chance of getting a nibble in.

Share this post


Link to post

I hate it when things like "think how Romero would do it" are said, I can't take that into consideration because I am not god damn John Romero.

Share this post


Link to post

I keep sucking at deathmatch and I don't seem to be getting any better. Maybe I'm not focused enough or I just don't take it so seriously XD

Share this post


Link to post

Whenever I see a nice picture now, I tend to think "that would make a good sky/wall texture/map base" than just appreciating the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
mrthejoshmon said:

I hate it when things like "think how Romero would do it" are said, I can't take that into consideration because I am not god damn John Romero.


But Romero would take this into consideration...

Share this post


Link to post

I have just finished "Masters of Doom" for the first time and I have this "funny feeling" which always accompanies you when you're done with a good story.

Even though it's probably impossible, nor would it give such results as it used to back in the early 90s, I'd like Carmack and Romero to join forces and revolutionize the genre yet again. Realistically speaking though, it's better that they pursue their own projects now and I'm just glad that according to the book's ending there is no "bad blood" between them.

I always thought they hated each other after their separation at id Software, but fortunately that's not the case.

Share this post


Link to post

I prefer the doom2GBA soundtrack more then the original.

Share this post


Link to post

I tried to make custom MIDI's for Doom on a synthetic (AKA a windows program) MIDI device, I suck at it and it appears I have no sense of style or rhythm when it comes to music in Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

I never knew about the Soul Sphere secret on map 22, so I could never beat it pistol start. I always died as soon as I entered the center room with all the chaingunners.

Share this post


Link to post

Even to this day after the many years of playing it, the Cacodemon death noise from PSX/N64 still makes me feel a little queasy due to the sound of the guts slapping on the floor. Ew.

Share this post


Link to post

It really makes me cringe when people refer to medikits as health packs. :P

Share this post


Link to post

It makes me cringe when people refer to medikits as medkits or med kits or whatnot. ;P




...actually I don't care at all.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

Relinquish your deepest, darkest Doom-related sins and secrets and purify your spirit.


I want a "Best Of Doom Community CD, 1993-2018, for Doom's 25th, costing 25 bucks, featuring all the most notable Doom projects ever made. A Doom CD to end all Doom CDs, basically. Alternatively, it can come on 25 floppies.

Share this post


Link to post

E2M5 Still scares me, especially in the wooden area with the low ceiling

Share this post


Link to post
Soundblock said:

I want a "Best Of Doom Community CD, 1993-2018, for Doom's 25th, costing 25 bucks, featuring all the most notable Doom projects ever made. A Doom CD to end all Doom CDs, basically. Alternatively, it can come on 25 floppies.

25 bucks or a lot of hours spent downloading them, the choice is yours!

But seriously, I could see myself paying for that...

Unfortunately it is not past 2018 and not Doom's 25th yet.

Share this post


Link to post
mrthejoshmon said:

25 bucks or a lot of hours spent downloading them, the choice is yours!

But seriously, I could see myself paying for that...

Unfortunately it is not past 2018 and not Doom's 25th yet.


If the material was well organised and made readily available, I think a lot of people would fork out for it.

Besides - if we're going to wait for Doom to go Public Domain (by established standards that would be... 2043??) before such a CD pops up, then we might all be too old and gray to see the screen and play it, and no one that's around then will remember the great projects made over the last couple of decades. Call it a rescue operation, for the sake of Doom's impact in particular and recorded history in general!

I know this is supposed to be a confessional booth, not a soapbox, but really...

Share this post


Link to post
Doominator2 said:

E2M5 Still scares me, especially in the wooden area with the low ceiling


Easily the scariest stretch of the original game. Joined by two of the other scariest maps, Deimos Lab and especially Halls of the Damned.

Share this post


Link to post

I completed Plutonia on UV, but yet I am too much of a wimp to play any megawad besides ICARUS on UV difficulty.

Share this post


Link to post

On the subject of stages that scare players, I still feel kind of unnerved about the maze part in the southwest corner of E1M4. Less so now that I've slaughtered thousands of Imps and Pinky Demons since first encountering it, and they're all that's in there so it really shouldn't bother me anymore, but it spooked me out the first time playing it and that hasn't entirely shaken off.

Share this post


Link to post
Shadow Hog said:

On the subject of stages that scare players, I still feel kind of unnerved about the maze part in the southwest corner of E1M4. Less so now that I've slaughtered thousands of Imps and Pinky Demons since first encountering it, and they're all that's in there so it really shouldn't bother me anymore, but it spooked me out the first time playing it and that hasn't entirely shaken off.

Damn, I remember a couple of years ago playing DooM at night when every one was asleep, When I turned a corner of the maze I was face to face with a Demon, I yelled and ended waking everyone up.

Share this post


Link to post

E1M4 gave me the biggest scare of my life.
Around a corner, facing an imp... a moment passes... as the imp hisses I nearly fell out of my chair. The only time my chest ached after a "surprise".
In addition to that I always shat my pants when thinking about the E1M2 maze and the dark passage in E1M3. In DoomII "Underhalls", "The Focus" and the beginning of "TheCrusher" used to freak me out too.

Share this post


Link to post
_bruce_ said:

E1M4 gave me the biggest scare of my life.
Around a corner, facing an imp... a moment passes... as the imp hisses I nearly fell out of my chair. The only time my chest ached after a "surprise".
In addition to that I always shat my pants when thinking about the E1M2 maze and the dark passage in E1M3. In DoomII "Underhalls", "The Focus" and the beginning of "TheCrusher" used to freak me out too.

Dont forget MAP11 of Plutonia and the Archviles waiting for you...behind every corner...resurrecting every thing you killed. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Da Werecat said:

There's nothing to resurrect.

There are AVs to resurrect. *scarcastic*

Share this post


Link to post

Clearly somebody needs to make a mod that allows Arch-viles to be resurrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Shadow Hog said:

Clearly somebody needs to make a mod that allows Arch-viles to be resurrected.


Don't forget to add in Cyberdemons and Masterminds!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now