Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I know there's difference between shotgun and super shotgun sprites but I scarcely see them, and never during the play.

They are so small. I usually read the message what I just picked up. And because I play WADs continously, it's more like a trivia to me, 'cause after few levels I have both shotguns.

o,o Is that some visual recognition problem? I remember there was some guy that didn't have any facial recognition skills so he couldn't tell apart normal lost souls and the ones from Freedoom (he had to count horns or something to distinguish them).

I don't know. Actually, it was HD versions of weapons that someone did for 20th anniversary that made me realize that shotgun and super shotgun looks different, I thought they used the same sprite. Of course when zombie sargeant drops a weapon, I know what it is.

Krazov said:

They are so small. I usually read the message what I just picked up. And because I play WADs continously, it's more like a trivia to me, 'cause after few levels I have both shotguns.

Are you playing from an iPhone or something??? o___O

No, laptop. My screen resolution is 1280x800. Your attention made me check it, and yeah--they are not that similar. Never noticed it in game. I guess I will might have to call off my confession.

Luckily, as Franz Kafka said once, "Confessions would be much more authentic if they were called off right after confessing."

[EDIT: I just became Green Marine here. Let's cherish this moment together.]

Krazov said:

[EDIT: I just became Green Marine here. Let's cherish this moment together.]

Cheers! :D Anyways, I was surprised to see a sprite probably never seen before next to the number 2. Is that a "fanart" or is based off one of id's sprite conceptions?

I find all of the non-muzzle flash flames to be consistently ugly, they're just so static and unnatural looking.

I'm surely not the only one but E1M8/E4M1 makes me feel sad and lonely. I'm probably associating it with a period in my life (more than a decade ago) where I spent a lot of time alone and without much social support at all, and during which I was quite depressed. So I tried to suppress everything by playing too much video games. That probably sounds familiar to a few of you. That also makes me sad. :)

Jaxxoon R said:

If I could change anything about Doom II, I'd give the Hellknight a sword.

Wouldn't that be like The Incredible Hulk with a sword?

Kotzugi said:

I'm surely not the only one but E1M8/E4M1 makes me feel sad and lonely. I'm probably associating it with a period in my life (more than a decade ago) where I spent a lot of time alone and without much social support at all, and during which I was quite depressed. So I tried to suppress everything by playing too much video games. That probably sounds familiar to a few of you. That also makes me sad. :)

I think people to whom it didn't happen at least once didn't even live truly beforehead. :)

Jaxxoon R said:

The Hulk has a sword?

Didn't he have a sword in Planet Hulk? I read it a long time ago but I vaguely remember some kind of armour and a sword at some point...

Kotzugi said:

I'm surely not the only one but E1M8/E4M1 makes me feel sad and lonely.

You're definitely not alone on that. Demons on the Prey and the victory music that plays at the end of each episode gives me the same feeling too.

Patch93 said:

You're definitely not alone on that. Demons on the Prey and the victory music that plays at the end of each episode gives me the same feeling too.

Yeah I can include the end of episode music as well. However Demons on the Prey has for me the opposite effect, it so damn epic and has so much intensity, it remains one of my favorite tracks of all the Doom games.

Average said:

Didn't he have a sword in Planet Hulk? I read it a long time ago but I vaguely remember some kind of armour and a sword at some point...

I haven't read it, but I believe the storyline's called World War Hulk. Weird, but then he went semi-intelligent and worked as a Las Vegas bouncer for a while too, didn't he? Lost track of most Marvel things after Secret War, and the movies are for the most part still catching up to all that...

Patch93 said:

Well...

victory music

I agree, but I'd highlight Doom II's victory music that also plays on Plutonia MAP21. Back then it even gave me tears *maybe too much info*.

I hate it when the maps gives you all the weapons including the weak ones that you'll surely won't use.
Ex : Chainsaw, shotguns, chaingun, plasma gun.

Cell said:

Well...

I agree, but I'd highlight Doom II's victory music that also plays on Plutonia MAP21. Back then it even gave me tears *maybe too much info*.

TNT's intermission music also makes a little emotional. It just has a lonely/depressed/hopeless feel to it. I can't remember if it plays by default or if I used to switch to it, but I always thought it went perfect with Map 30. That hopeless feeling really transfers to the victory text. You battled your way through all of Doom and Doom II, and passed this "final" trial but then that blue light glows inside the demon spitter... Because of that text, and the finality of the Plutonia victory text, I always thought TNT was intended to be played before Plutonia. Not sure if that's the official intention though, since they really don't have much to do with each other.

As a related confession, TNT Map 30 is the only stock IoS level I really enjoy. Partly because it's the only one that really just plays like a regular level that happens to have an IoS at the end. But I think it also has to do with the first time I beat it. I was standing on that upper platform across from the opening to the boss brain and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't winning launching rockets at it. A baron or hell knight spawned behind me and knocked me onto the top step with his first fireball, and then of course my rockets connected. He also killed me a few seconds later, after I had launched one last rocket, which finished off the boss brain. I want to say I got the victory screen even though I was dead, but that might be a corrupted Doom memory. Can anyone confirm if that's possible?

Face23785 said:

I want to say I got the victory screen even though I was dead, but that might be a corrupted Doom memory. Can anyone confirm if that's possible?

Yes, it is. Only the Doom 1 bosses require the player to survive. All other means of completing a level work even when dead (even exit switches, though you have to press it on the exact tic that you die). The player will pistol-start the next level, or win the game if it was the final level.

Foxpup said:

Yes, it is. Only the Doom 1 bosses require the player to survive. All other means of completing a level work even when dead (even exit switches, though you have to press it on the exact tic that you die). The player will pistol-start the next level, or win the game if it was the final level.

Far out! I was starting to think maybe I only remember it that way since it made for such an epic win, and consequently a better story. Come to think of it though, I think I've seen a player hit the exit switch and progress while dying on a youtube video.

Face23785 said:

I think I've seen a player hit the exit switch and progress while dying on a youtube video.

If you can find it, post it here!