Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

Tis here, the long awaited, and best, (imho) is soon to come. its name, Lindows

yes you heard me. an operating system that can run both windows and linux programs. what does this mean?? a more stable, better, faster os. web server running linux, but want wondows programs?? no more. it is here!!

http://www.lindows.com/

Lindows appears to be nothing more than XFree86 and KDE running on NTFS with Wine constantly running in the background.

The WinXP Home Upgrade CD is $100. If you have any real CD of Windows, even that oldassed 95 disc collecting dust, it will just ask for it then you can install.

Lindows will cost $100.

Linux is free.

FreeDOS is free.

Therefore, you can get real Windows, a good DOS and a good Linux for the same price as Lindows.

Why would you go for an imitation when you can have the real things for the same price?

your kidding, right? this has to be the best things to computers since dos (imo)

I guess your sarcasm detector is broken...

your kidding, right? this has to be the best things to computers since dos (imo)

Damn right his sarcasm detector's broken I'm dead fucking serious.

What the hell is the point of Lindows, for the MP3.COM guy to make himself some coin by making an OS that is 95% based on open sourced projects? That's bullshit.

Having it cost as much as a real copy of WindowsXP Home Edition is a stupid fucking move too. For what Lindows costs you can get a real copy of Windows and a real copy of Linux, why waste your time with a clone?

I want to see an OS that runs Mac, Linux, Windows, Beos and other files. When I see that, damn right I'll buy it, but until that day comes I'll stick with Windows 98

Supposedly their windows API layer is better than WINE. But, of course, no one really knows.

Yeah well, for that money you can get the most accurate Windows API of all, WindowsXP. =P

I want to see an OS that runs Mac, Linux, Windows, Beos and other files. When I see that, damn right I'll buy it, but until that day comes I'll stick with Windows 98

*SEE MY ABOVE POST*

Heh... I've got a Winux 2004 T-shirt... That's basically what this is.

"The future is a scary place. Scare it back."

Well, from looking at the Lindows website I conclude it isn't worth the money...even though I already figured that out when I realized the fact that I don't need to use any Linux files...

People don't normally use linux to be able to "use Linux files"; since most linux programs are open-source, it's not that hard to port them to Windows anyway. So most of the linux stuff is accessible on windows, too.

I never even looked at the site. I just figured it was a cross between an OS that is very lame and vannilla, yet easy to use and useful (Windows), and an OS that I have no need for and I know nothing about (Linux). So...meh.

I never even looked at the site. I just figured it was a cross between an OS that is very lame and vannilla, yet easy to use and useful (Windows), and an OS that I have no need for and I know nothing about (Linux). So...meh.

Unfortunately it's worse than that.

Unfortunately it's worse than that.

I mean, come on people! Any company that WANTS to copy Windows must be fucky.

deadnail = retard

if it has open source code in it you _don't have_ to pay for it, because the cancerous license means it'll be available for free.

deadnail = retard

Dude, just, no.

if it has open source code in it you _don't have_ to pay for it, because the cancerous license means it'll be available for free.

Wine is BSD licensed. They can do whatever the hell they want. Open Source != GPL

best things to computers since dos (imo)

I think bundling MS-DOS with the original IBM PC was probably one of the biggest mistakes ever made.

why? dos is the best. it can do many things. i doubt linux or windows would be around if dos didnt make it. dos is what changed the industry.

why? dos is the best. it can do many things. i doubt linux or windows would be around if dos didnt make it. dos is what changed the industry.

Explain how it changed it.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAhahahaHaHhAhAHaHAHHAhah

i doubt linux or windows would be around if dos didnt make it. dos is what changed the industry.

Quote of the month!