Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

Tis here, the long awaited, and best, (imho) is soon to come. its name, Lindows

I am sick to death of OS arguments. You know the truth is that it's probably all luck what happens on which machine with whatever OS.

why? dos is the best. it can do many things. i doubt linux or windows would be around if dos didnt make it. dos is what changed the industry.

Explain how it changed it.

It changed it by making people wanting something that didn't suck. To this day...people are still not satisfied...

why? dos is the best. it can do many things. i doubt linux or windows would be around if dos didnt make it. dos is what changed the industry.

Explain how it changed it.

It changed it by making people wanting something that didn't suck.

You mean, once they got DOS people saw just how brutal it was and started wanting another OS? :)

ok. the reason why linux existed, is because a man ( his last name was linus ) thought that dos was shitty so he bagun to make his own os. also, windows would have never taken off because if dos didnt make it,ibm would come out with something else. bill gates didnt do shit, accept market everything. someone else invented dos. not bill gates. the other man would be in charge.

bbg, your OS opinions are about as effective as your evilution of FPS opinions.

BBG defamer

ok. the reason why linux existed, is because a man ( his last name was linus )

Linus Torvalds, his FIRST name is Linus.

thought that dos was shitty

Yes, because it WAS.

so he bagun to make his own os. also, windows would have never taken off because if dos didnt make it,ibm would come out with something else.

It was called OS/2, and it was generally technically superior to the version of Windows available at the time.

bill gates didnt do shit, accept market everything. someone else invented dos. not bill gates. the other man would be in charge.

Yes, you're correct. The difference is, had DOS not existed, IBM would probably have used CP/M instead of the braindead DOS, and we would now be using OS/2 instead of the garbled mess that is windows.

Heh...Pirates of Silicon Valley

Bill Gates = teh Evil!
Steve Jobs = Psycho

When I was watching that movie, I was having trouble telling myself that these guys own us now. Jeez.

Well, maybe they don't own you, but Paul Allen owns abot 80% of Seattle, Bill Gates owns the rest, and since its kinda hard to avoid Seattle where I live, a lot of the money from the people around here ends up in their pockets.

someone else said it best but just have two partitions one with windows and the other with linux..you really dont need an all in wonder like lindows..and ya if the price is that much for lindows then fuck that 100 bucks for somthin new nahhh it prolly wouldnt even work...

someone else said it best but just have two partitions one with windows and the other with linux..you really dont need an all in wonder like lindows..and ya if the price is that much for lindows then fuck that 100 bucks for somthin new nahhh it prolly wouldnt even work...

Supposedly, the point of Lindows is that it allows you to run windows apps in a stable, secure environment.

Supposedly, the point of Lindows is that it allows you to run windows apps in a stable, secure environment.

Bah, I still think Lindows is a waste of money

My WinXP manages that.

Q: Doesn't WindozeXP crash a lot?
A: I couldn't use Win98 without needing to reboot at least twice a day, and I saw bluescreens a few times a week. I haven't had a SINGLE problem of that nature since I've had XP, and it's been a few months.

Q: Isn't XP full of security holes?
A: So is every OS if people work at it. There's no need to try to steal credit card numbers from people on Linux because Linux is free and only poor people use it anyway. Whenever there's a serious security problem with any fucking OS a patch is released within hours anyway, so quit your bitching.

Q: How can I live without DOS?
A: It's not in Linux either so quit your bitching. Both use emulation.

Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine the use of Lindows. It costs as much as XP Home (and Linux is free), and it wants to be the best of both Windows and Linux, however, for the same fucking price, you can actually HAVE both Windows and Linux, so I really don't even understand what the point is.

Other than the MP3.COM dickweasel trying to get some money off of open source, of course.

bbg, your OS opinions are about as effective as your evilution of FPS opinions.

BBG defamer

heh.

DOS may have come first, but the predecessors of Linux, MULTICS, UNIX, BSD, and VMS all came loooooooooong before DOS. DOS wasn't even actually written until the early eighties (like 80 or 81, I think). Torvalds wrote the first version of Linux at a time when over 70% of the business market was using Windows 3.1. Linux was not an attempt to kill off DOS, it was an attempt to revive UNIX as a strong, stable, and easily maintainble OS.

Oh well. Two out of three ain't bad. At least that's what Meatloaf's tellin' me.

DC

DOS came out in 1981 as PC DOS, then MS DOS, MS DOS is similar to PC DOS except for the hidden files that work with the firm ware of the PC to interpret the hardware and software drivers. Microsoft had no official version of MS DOS prior to DOS 3.2 (July 86).Only OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer ) versions were sold with the PC by the computer manufacture.
Linux version 0.01 was released by mid september 1991

From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT
Message-ID: <1991Oct5.054106.4647@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
Date: 5 Oct 91 05:41:06 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki
Do you pine for the nice days of minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote their own device drivers? Are you
without a nice project and just dying to cut your teeth on a OS you can try to modify for your
; needs? Are you finding it frustrating when everything works on minix? No more all-nighters to get a nifty program
working? Then this post might be just for you :-)
As I mentioned a month(?) ago, I'm working on a free version of a minix-lookalike for AT-386 computers. It has
finally reached the stage where it's even usable (though may not be depending on
what you want), and I am willing to put out the sources for wider distribution. It is just version 0.02 (+1 (very
small) patch already), but I've successfully run bash/gcc/gnu-make/gnu-sed/compress etc under it.
Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100) in the directory /pub/OS/Linux.
The directory also contains some README-file and a couple of binaries to work under linux
(bash, update and gcc, what more can you ask for :-). Full kernel source is provided, as no minix code has been
used. Library sources are only partially free, so that cannot be distributed currently. The system is able to compile
"as-is" and has been known to work. Heh. Sources to the binaries (bash and gcc) can be found at the
same place in /pub/gnu.

Linux version 0.01 was released by mid september 1991

Linux is quite recent, yes.

Minix was created much earlier. The GNU project started in 1983. Also, since MS-DOS is a clone of the earlier PC-DOS, it makes sense to compare PC-DOS with Unix, of which Linux is a clone.

Unix was made in 1970.

[edit]
Also note that the age of DOS proves nothing except that it's aincent trash that deserves to be forgotten, but the age of Unix shows that it's the best OS that remains unsurpassed after 30 years... or something like that... I wonder how this works
[/edit]

Also, since MS-DOS is a clone of the earlier PC-DOS, it makes sense to compare PC-DOS with Unix, of which Linux is a clone.
Unix was made in 1970

V1 was nov 3 1971
By the same token unix is derived from unics 1969.

Unix was made in 1970

V1 was nov 3 1971
By the same token unix is derived from unics 1969.

...which was created by eunuchs in 1968.

No :) which came from MULTICS, which stands for Multiplexed Operating and Computing System. 1965..ish. UNICS stood for Uniplexed Operating and Computing System. Although the operating system has changed, the name stuck and was eventually shortened to Unix.

If the whole world was one big forum, and I was a moderator in General, I'd give Bill Gates the biggest postcountskullfucking of them all.

I'm not sure how anyone ever actually used UNIX. Actually, what I wonder most is how anyone actually used it and liked it. I mean, ok, I like doing most of the stuff that happens on my computer myself, but come on! I like a little intelligence in my OS. It's like calling VMS "user-friendly". Have you ever used VMS? Makes me want to jam a cheese grater up my nose.

DC

I'm not sure how anyone ever actually used UNIX. Actually, what I wonder most is how anyone actually used it and liked it. I mean, ok, I like doing most of the stuff that happens on my computer myself, but come on! I like a little intelligence in my OS. It's like calling VMS "user-friendly". Have you ever used VMS? Makes me want to jam a cheese grater up my nose.

DC

You probably heard the saying: "Unix is very user-friendly, it just chooses its friends carefully".

And of course, if you like "little" intelligence in your OS, then yes, use Windows :P

Someday Linux will be devoured and banned by Microsoftia's Government. Ditch it already :P

If the whole world was one big forum, and I was a moderator in General, I'd give Bill Gates the biggest postcountskullfucking of them all.

You're all just jealous that he knows how to do business and get millions of millions (literally). Don't be playa hata dawgs, aight?

And of course, if you like "little" intelligence in your OS, then yes, use Windows :P

The only intelligence I want is 1) loading of a GUI, 2) automatic driver installation/loading, and 3) goddam decent help files. I'm still takin' it up the "old dirt road" on that last one.

DC