Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

The Computer shop man: IS he gay?

Scenario;

Computer shop man says many things that I wish for second opinion on. He builds good machines for good prices (a small local company) but does he speak the truth?

1) I have a p2 333 with win98se. He says I don't need any more than 128MB of RAM, despite the fact I want to run some newer games faster...

2) He says I should avoid AMD processors in my new machine. He says Pentiums are faster and don't overheat as much. He says Intel and Microsoft are basically in bed with each other, so AMD's claims that they're faster on XP are actually all faeces.

Uh, is he yay or is he teh ghey? And please only reply if you know what you're talking about.

well, I'm not too sure about the 128 RAM thing. It's fine for doom. But if he's referring to games like Max Payne, I doubt it.

AMD forever. AMD is better. PERIOD. The most cursory look at benchmarking shows AMDs to be superior to Pentiums. i have an AMD box which has NEVER overheated.

You computer guy sems a misguided fool.

More RAM = better

Oh, I forgot: Surely not with an weak OS like Win98 sucking edition. There is a border....256MB...or was it 512MB?
Get Win XP or 2K instead :)

2) He says I should avoid AMD processors in my new machine. He says Pentiums are faster and don't overheat as much. He says Intel and Microsoft are basically in bed with each other, so AMD's claims that they're faster on XP are actually all faeces.

ROFL

ROFL does not qualify as a valid reply, goatse boy :P

Gee, maybe he does suck then. If it's any consolation he is teh world's ugliest man...

Scenario;

Try shifting that semi-colon for a better effect.

1) I have a p2 333 with win98se. He says I don't need any more than 128MB of RAM, despite the fact I want to run some newer games faster...

You're about half-way to the maximum on that 16 bit focused operating system. With only a 333, though, you should upgrade your system in a serious fashion.

AMD processors smoke on XP. Keep in mind that on XP a 1.7Ghz P4 will have it's ass handed to it by a 1.4Ghz AthlonXP, and the Athlon is less expensive.

My current favorite Athlon motherboard is the Shuttle AK31A (v3.1). It's got plenty of room (six PCI), FOUR memory slots (four 512's are a lot less expensive than two 1G), and it's damn well made too. Get one of these, slam a 1 or 1.2Ghz Duron on the fucker and you'll be set for a while. You can pop in an AthlonXP when your wallet has healed from the big initial purchase.

Uh, is he yay or is he teh ghey? And please only reply if you know what you're talking about.

He's definitely the gay.

Athlons DO generate more heat than P4s. However, both have a thermal diode inside that shuts the processor off before heat damage occurs. Both are easily cooled, it's not like your Athlon is going to give you a tan or anything.

Let me know where he lives so I can break into his house tonight and rape him with a spaghetti strainer.

Athlons DO generate more heat than P4s. However, both have a thermal diode inside that shuts the processor off before heat damage occurs. Both are easily cooled, it's not like your Athlon is going to give you a tan or anything.

Uhh, have you seen that movie?

Uh, I'm not sure where he lives, but he's so ugly you can probably detect the repulsion 4000 miles across the pond in Michigan! =)

i prefer AMD too. and my next system will be AMD. as for the heating issue. i have master ways to cool things down, but it can be a bitch. now i am trying to work on a dust filtering system that does not effect the air flow much

now i am trying to work on a dust filtering system that does not effect the air flow much

Do me a favor and let me know how that goes. Just today I cracked open my old p200 to replace a powersupply fan. The job took me like two hours. About fifteen minutes to replace the fan, the rest of the time I spent removing about five pounds of dust bunnies. Where the fuck does it all come from? O_o

air being sucked in + electricaly charged enviroment = a shit load of dust. so far i have used air conditioner filters on my P166. the filters work and plus they absorb noise. however i am working on a better idea involving "charged plastic" as air goes across the "charged plasitc" all the dust will stick to it. I have not yet found a way to install it in a computer yet

Personally I think those small time "great quality" computer shops are BS. Sure you might get good prices and what seems like kick ass warrentes, however you might be fucked over in the long run. I had my computer built at a custom small time place, but I had no worries cause six friends buy their computer stuff from there, four of which had their computers built there and havn't had a problem since. Now, while I will say my machine is a Huge improvement over my last computer, I love it, (last one being a Compaq Presario..POS..I know..) They screwed me with the warrente and so on..
They sold themselves to some other guy on January 1st, 2001. All warrente's given after that point are null and void, I bought my machine on the 14th. They gave me no notice of the fact that the supposed 5 year parts and labor warrente and one year replacement thing, was nothing but fancy bullshit on paper. I call them for help when a fan went buggy on me, they want to charge me money I shouldn't have to be paying, I tell them of the warrente, they basically tell me the long story of what is, in short, "Fuck You."
Just a little warning about those little places. So unless your ABSOLUTELY sure about the place, I mean it's owned by someone you can easily strap to a chair and beat with hammers if they mess with you, find a company a bit more reliable or build it yourself. As for the processor, since I did get a little off topic (his idiocy reminded me of the above) AMD is kickass hardware. All your paying with pentium is that extra dollar amount so they can afford to have a barrage of those idiots in blue commercials. Go for AMD.

If you don't build the machine yourself, you have no guarantee. And even then you can fuck it up.

Oh yeah, AMD until the sun turns into a small hunk of warm charcoal and we all freeze into geek popsicles.

DC

I don't think you're gonna notice the difference installing more RAM.
You only really notice that when you jump from 8 or 16 megs to 32. After 32 megs(on a pII with windows 98) you won't notice hardly anything, and especially going from 128 to 256 megs!!

Win98 is far preferable to Windows 2000 if you're using a lot of DOS programs, such as DOOM-related applications. Windows XP? Sure, if you're willing to blow good money on what could otherwise get you a GeForce3. Windows 98 can be very stable if you know what applications not to use. Screensavers, Morpheus, bad Antivirus programs...

2GB of memory? That's just ridiculous. 80% of it will be unused 95% of the time. You're better off waiting until having that much memory will actually improve anything. By that time, the prices will be lower. But hey, if you want to burn your money it's up to you.

Win98 is far preferable to Windows 2000 if you're using a lot of DOS programs, such as DOOM-related applications.

Well obviously. =)

Windows XP? Sure, if you're willing to blow good money on what could otherwise get you a GeForce3.

A GeForce 3 would cost two and a half to over three times as much as a copy of the WinXP Home upgrade. You only need the pro version of your a networkphile or will have a multiprocessor machine.

Windows 98 can be very stable if you know what applications not to use. Screensavers, Morpheus, bad Antivirus programs...

ICQ, Netscape, AOL, MSN, Notepad...

2GB of memory? That's just ridiculous. 80% of it will be unused 95% of the time. You're better off waiting until having that much memory will actually improve anything. By that time, the prices will be lower. But hey, if you want to burn your money it's up to you.

Unless you set up that 80% to be a ramdrive and make a nice startup routine so your most commonly used programs are stored in said ramdrive. I saw my buddy do that when he first got 768 megs way back with his first Pentium 3. He made a 256 meg ramdrive and a nice startup zipfile program (and a shortcut on his desktop to remake the zip before he shut down) and he kept PHOTOSHOP on it since he's a big imaging buff. Man, that fucking thing loaded in a few seconds.

For shits and giggles, while I was over he installed Quake 2 on it and we took turns playing it. We played all the way through. Only on two levels did I actually notice any 'loading time' to mention. =)))

2 gb of ram, for me, translates into 1 gb of ram with a 1 gig ramdrive. I only install most games long enough to play through them once anyway. Not having loading time betweens levels makes that process that much faster. =)

personaly i wil no longer buy prebuilt systems, unless for some reason it is really great and at a good deal. however i prefer these small computer shops cause they have more and at a cheaper price. they have to be good cause they got to compete with places like best buy, circuit city, radio shag, and all the others

The beauty of this little shop near me is that it is seriously near me (within walking distance, if I could be fucked to carry the machine in), they know me in there and exactly what the state of the machine is, and are generally competent at repairs and upgrades etc./ advice. But they have a lot of strange ideas about software and, as has now bee shown, processors. Still, you can ignore that if you know what you want, and being a forum member here helps :)

At least the stuff they build works, no one has ever had any complaints about a CJ machine that I know of. If it goes wrong, EVER, they fix it. Meh, the badge on the front even has their phone number on it, it's like 3 digits difference to mine. A local number. Nice.

At the moment, they can't quite match the big guns on price, as Dell have gone for broke and are offering 2Ghz with 256 DDR RAM and 64MB Ge2MX etc. for less than £1000, but they catch up soon enough.

On the whole RAM thing, Win98 can page up to 4 GB. That doesn't mean that you can use 4 GB of RAM, that means that the virtual memory can be that high. Of course, to be that high, 98 has to support something like 512 megs of RAM (it's either that or 256). XP has some unfuckingGodly number. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere in the terabytes for virtual page size.

Oh, and deadnail, wouldst thou happen to know where some ramdrive programs await my download?

DC

Win98 is far preferable to Windows 2000 if you're using a lot of DOS programs, such as DOOM-related applications. Windows XP? Sure, if you're willing to blow good money on what could otherwise get you a GeForce3. Windows 98 can be very stable if you know what applications not to use. Screensavers, Morpheus, bad Antivirus programs...

I agree, but sometimes I kind of run out of alternatives =(

My 98 is as stable as it's gonna get but I still face the blue screen of death sometimes. Particularly whilst trying to run DeePsea :p

I love Pritch

FODDERS YOU CAN STOP IT RIGHT NOW I KNOW IT'S YOU.

So far you have been...

prich
Lisa_Taylor
Computer_Shop_Man

...just to annoy me!

Quit it!

hi,

just wanted to say a few things....

if you are buying a pentium two class or lower, go intel.
a pentium 3 or higher go amd.

obviously, the more ram you have, the better. (duhhhhhh)

windows 98 gold (4.10.1998)isnt very stable, go with 98SE(4.10.2222). se isnt the stablest either, but its the best microsoft system yet.

and about the windows 98 ram issue?(also found in 95 and me)
windows 98 can have and use any amount of ram. however, some problems arise when windows tries to set the vcache and you have 512+ mb or ram. windows allocates too much cache, and no virtual memory addresses are left for other things.

if you have 512+ ram, and windows 98, just set the 'MaxFileCache=' in system.ini to use 512mb or less.

here is a microsoft page with more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253912

enjoy,

-xooz98

As 98 is primarily 16-bit, it can only address up to 4 GB of virtual memory. Virtual memory is paged (addressed on the hard drive) based on the depth of the operating system (16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit, etc). I don't remember the math for it right now (took that class last semester).

Sorry to say n00b, if you've got more than 512 Mb RAM, your computer is sitting around with memory it can't access.

DC

um,

virtual memory <> ram

yes, there is a windows maximum of 4gb of virtual memory, as that is the size of the range of virtual address which vcache can access.

that doesnt mean there is a maximum of 512mb of ram. you can set the virtual memory at anything you want less than 4gb (less than 512mb if you want your computer to work) and still have and use however much ram you have.

i really don't see what your trying to say here; there's a 4gb limit on virtual memory, so theres a 512mb limit on ram?

im not really that new here either, i registered this acct. in august last year but i used to post on the old forums.

-xooz98

ok here it is. a p2, 333 with a tnt2 32mb, with 98 megs of ram. would win2k run slow on a machine like this? i know i know, its a family machine.