Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

How do you play MAP07 dead simple?

Grazza said:

Anyway, if you want a strategy for doing map07 safely, and you've no confidence in your movement skills and don't care about how long it takes:

Pick up all invisibilities before doing anything else. The idea is to waste them, so that they'll have worn off, and you won't need to tiptoe around them.

Then start taking out the walking mancs with the SSG. If you take damage, pick up the berserk.

Once the walking mancs are dead, start to kill the ones on platforms. Before killing the last one, lower the platforms, and collect all the goodies before the trons are released.

You'll then be non-invisible and fully armed and armoured to kill the trons.

This is a pretty much idiot-proof method, even for non-strafers.

This would be me and I can indeed do it reliably. I'd prove 10 times in a row, but it's an awful lot like too much effort - plus I use ZDoom with always-run and mouselook, so nobody would be impressed :P

Step 1 - Get SSG, activate all switches to release all mancubus from platforms.
Step 2 - Get the rocket launcher as soon as possible.
Step 3 - Led mancubus into groups.
Step 4 - Kill them all with rocket launcher!!!
Step 5 - Get plasma gun, ready for spider hordes!!!
Step 6 - Kill as much spiders as possible outside the courtyard using the plasma gun.
Step 7 - If possible, kill the remaining spiders using rocket launcher.
Step 8 - Exit!!!

Same thing to do for me using -fast parameter. Easy and straight forward.

So 40oz, you basically agree your strategy is inefficient. If you don't get hung up on semantics as I obviously had other reasons to use the exact wording I did, you'll see I said the exact same thing from the start.

My own strategy for beating Dead Simple is "pick things, shoot stuff". With this carefully crafted masterplan, I'm confident I can beat it ten times in a row reliably. Tune in in a hour or so to see if I'm right or wrong.

Edit: why did I say one hour again? Forgot the level was so quick. I did have one mishaps, as on the third go I forgot I needed enough rockets to suicide, so I started over.

You can see my elite skills of moving around haphazardly and shooting in the general direction of monsters paid off. Not being full of shit was also instrumental to my success.

Come on, guys, stop fighting. What does it matter how anyone plays that level? I just like to run around and SSG the mancubus, then switch to plasma rifle and have fun with the arachnotrons. Been doing it that way since 1998.

Here's my strategy, perhaps it can be used by me and others but you can't deny that it definitely can be used by a couple other guys, too:

Spoiler

Press the switch to lower the wall and just stand still. Get hit about 2-3 times or just until you're less than 40 health. Then run for cover with the corner walls. Pull out your fists and run to the nearest ground mancubus. Give him a couple of swings and retract to corners. Repeat the last two steps twice for each ground mancubus. Get your pistol out. Try to get as many of the ground mancubus segregated to one side. Once they're there, run out to the opening wall they're nearest, and shoot 10 bullets for each of these guys you see, dodging both the ground and mounted fatsos fireballs. Now make 3 loops around the perimeter walls CLOCKWISE, performing slaloms around the invisibility and health. On the odd laps, collect the hitscan powerups. On the even lap, collect projectile powerups. Now equip your SSG. Run into the center of the level and finish off the enemies, dodging all attacks. When the arachnotrons come in, use only what's left of your hitscan weapons and your fist to finish 'em off. The moment you pick up a health/armor or invisibility, restart the map.

This strategy has worked for me not only once, but a couple other times, too.

do this, say, ten times in a row within the same demo file (basically kill yourself rather than exit once every monster is dead), as to show you can do this reliably and not just spam attempts until you eventually manage it once.

OK, no more inflammatory posts on this particular branch of the thread please, as it is clearly going nowhere good.

I know Phml's asking for ten-times-in-a-row punchout had some kind of deeper meaning rather than pure skill chatter, but in any case, manco punching is easy and reliable once you learn it (note: in vanilla/prboom). I've just given it a try and got all mancos in dead simple punched out thrice in a single demo while taking megasphere, although I didn't bother with killing spiders. I'm tired andsleepy as hell so I might try tomorrow for 10 times in a row. Also note - dead simple totally sucks for showing off any kind of reliability of manco punchout.

j4rio, that'd be nice to see. Despite possible interpretations of my wording, I'm genuinely interested in seeing such a demo.

There's no particular idea behind picking the number ten, other than statistically speaking it sets the threshold for reliability rather high, as well as last long enough to make metagamey manipulation inconvenient. Coming from you, if you can do it just five or six times in a row it'd already seem reliable enough to me (would also be interested in your failure rate, if any).

So I went for it today and managed to punch all out thrice then I choked up and died very close to sucessful fourth punchout. I know it's not 5/6 in a row, but it was my very first recording attempt (not even single try before). I would eventually get it 5, 6 or more times, but I realised besides being kinda cool it wouldn't prove anything. Punching out a group of mancos IS and always will be unreliable and dead simple offers only that. Punching a single one is easily learnable, reliable and might save you a bunch of ammo while FDAing or such.

Here is that demo in any case: http://www.mediafire.com/?loh57ju9jpiyp47

I'd say you've done a fairly good job at proving your point. Interesting, thanks for posting this.

No method that kills all the monsters in the level is "unreliable."

40oz said:

You can punch the cyberdemon to death in E2M8, thus killing everything in the map, but I wouldn't rely on it. :)

Marnetmar said:

KILL EVERYTHING

This. I don't think about a strategy, I just kill everything. It's much more satisfying that way.

If you approach Doom any differently from KILL EVERYTHING then something is wrong with you.

I hate the bug that causes the fireballs to go trough the walls, when you are trying to get cover with -fast and that you are killed by surprise. Map 07 is a very good deathmatch map. I tried to do I completly with the berzerk but it's hard to punch the mancubus and the arachnotron because their radius is to big so your punch does not always hit it. Arachnotrons are hard to kill with the punch because of their fast attack. When I'm playing trough the full game, I usually kill them with the rocket luncher. I don't pick up the invisiblity sphere because I'm used to avoid fireballs following the pattern.

I always start off by killing the free-roaming mancubi, then I rotate around the map to kill 3 of the platform mancubi. Once that's done, I lower all the platforms, grab the goodies, and only then do I kill the final mancubus to trigger the second phase of the map.

Once the arachnotrons are released, I generally grab an invisibility and make a break for the outside area, then circle around the outside area constantly with an occasional cut through the center area to avoid being cornered or caught in a crossfire in the outside area, while firing bursts at the arachnotrons with the plasma gun to wear them down gradually. Once a few of them die, it's a lot easier to take the fight to them and finish off the (presumably wounded) survivors.

40oz said:

"AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes."

I like the cut of your jib.

Now I'm trying to picture if Sergio Leone had been born a couple decades later and had turned to creating FPSes instead of spaghetti westerns.

"A Fistful of Chainsaw"

"For a Few Megaspheres More"

"The Good, the Bad and the Doomguy"

"Once Upon A Time On Phobos"

lol

That being said, a Doomguy with a good old Winchester 1873 (and animation to match) would be the motherfucking ass.

Maes said:

lol

That being said, a Doomguy with a good old Winchester 1873 (and animation to match) would be the motherfucking ass.

I'd like to see Doomguy rocking a gigantic old-school Colt six-shooter complete with the rapid-fire "fanning" hand motion when he plugs a demon with all 6 barrels.

Encryptic said:

The existential dilemma of Doomguy summed up in one beautiful sentence.

But sometimes to kill everything he must die (thinking about dead-player telefragging ;-)