Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Stupid

Futile attempt to stop Microsoft will ultimately hurt Doom fans

Win98 is nearly perfect in it's functionality. Win XP is just a bunch of crappy bloatware, not to mention it looks like ass.

Dude you misplaced "Win98" and "WinXP". No really.

What qualifies as bloatware for you?

My cousins both use XP, they love it.

And of course, by bloatware you mean "programs that may at some point in some universe be useful to someone but since they aren't to me I can just bloody well turn most of them off". The only ones I'm pissed about are Messenger and IE (Opera!).

As for Legacy, I'm sorry to see it go, since it's one of my favorite ports (I definitely like it better than ZDoom). But I guess if they're ok with "pushing a big fat one up the old dirt road" then so be it.

DC

Bah. I don't use Legacy, and use Windows 95. It works for me and that is all I care. Even though Win95 is mostly not-supported these days, I still won't upgrade to WinXP. Well maybe when I get a new PC...but I am happy as long as it runs the games programs I use and can be configured to my tastes...so yeah that is my two cents...

And of course, by bloatware you mean "programs that may at some point in some universe be useful to someone but since they aren't to me I can just bloody well turn most of them off". The only ones I'm pissed about are Messenger and IE (Opera!).

Yeah that's my point, those are like the only programs that you can't disable/delete/uninstall, but at least they don't consume resources when you're not using them. XP provides you with a pretty descriptive memory management window, and besides you can turn most of these services off.

Thanks for that link. I only found the services menu like a month and a half ago and disabled just about every single fucking thing in there. 809.11 support? Um, fuck you Windows, I'm not doing any wireless networking here. If I was, then turn it on. Since I'm not, DON'T WASTE MY FUCKING TIME OR RAM GODAMMIT.

WinXP does take a lot more disk space than 9X, however, that's because of all the aforementioned horseshit crammed into the pack that I was bitching about.

On the other hand, if you turn off all visual themes and effects (and disable all the services you will never need) it will run faster than 9X.

Also, when doing a big game XP tends to shut down just about everything and turn your PC into a console almost. I get better framerates in most games and that's considering that I actually have more shit running in the background still. When the game is over, though, there's a little bit of a pause as all the pretty images are loaded back in.

Fuck you. XP Default theme. Silver coloring. Try to make me turn it off and I'll icepick you in the nipples.

The ONLY thing missing from XP is DOS, and it's emulation is quite satisfactory. The soundcard emulation is a little weak but there are alternatives. VDMSound in particular has a nice right-click integration although with it Duke3D hangs. =(

Is there any good reason that I can't get sound with vanilla Doom.exe? I've got midi support and whatnot...

Oh yeah, check out Theme XP if you want some better visual shtuff. It takes up dick-nothing for memory and hasn't crashed me yet.

DC

Bah, I hate new threads that have already amassed 35 replies before I've seen them = 10 minutes reading the damn thing.

Since I've installed GeoShell, I have crashed about 6 times and seen 2 blue screens. That doesn't sound good at all until you consider the fact that 5 of my 6 crashes and both the blue screens were caused by the latest shareware of DeePsea, which apparently either...

a.) Doesn't like windows 98.

or...

b.) Is a horrible piece of coding garbage.

I have the registered DeePsea v11.6 and I haven't ever had a crash (it was shareware up 'till Sunday) on Win98se.

in that case don't get XP, but in the end what happens happens.

I like Legacy. I don't want it to die.

Ok, dude, let me break down what the following ports are good for

ZDooM : almost everything
EDGE : DDF is the only thing this port has going for it
PrBooM : stays true to vanilla DooM
JDooM : pretty gfx
Vavoom : pretty gfx when you get it to fucking work
Legacy : wasting HD space

Dude, EDGE and Legacy kick. EDGE has killer control, and Legacy is nice and smooth.

DC

XP may be great but i still will not buy it for a few reasons. first the price is an out rage. personaly i think home software should never be over $100. second the requirements that microsoft is makeing you meet to buy a copy is even more gay. the told the stores they have to sell it in 2 packs and you must prove you are putting it into a new system by showing them your CPU and hard drive. also u have to sign a shit load of papers, hell you are buying software nt a fuck'n house. even if XP is really good that is too much for a damn OS. also if u want to play older games you have no choice but to stick with an older OS, or keep a older system.

I will definitely agree that M$ is charging eight legs and three arms too much for XP. I hadn't heard that about the CPU and HD. As for the old games, many of them DO work on XP. Quake works, and vanilla Doom works for me (minus the sound...damn those specialized MIDI libs).

DC

XP may be great but i still will not buy it for a few reasons. first the price is an out rage. personaly i think home software should never be over $100.

Then I hope you never find out how much a copy of Poser, 3D Studio Max or Photoshop costs... you'll pass out.

second the requirements that microsoft is makeing you meet to buy a copy is even more gay. the told the stores they have to sell it in 2 packs and you must prove you are putting it into a new system by showing them your CPU and hard drive. also u have to sign a shit load of papers, hell you are buying software nt a fuck'n house.

That is the most rediculous fucking thing I've ever heard.

You know how I bought XP? I went to Target and pulled it off the shelf. It was $100.

I know, it took me almost a full five minutes. Fucking rediculous.

You know how long it takes Microsoft to validate your OS to be sure you're not stealing it? 45 seconds over a modem, or, if that's too outrageous, there are ways to rip them off (but they usually take a decent amount of time now, at least 5 minutes).

even if XP is really good that is too much for a damn OS. also if u want to play older games you have no choice but to stick with an older OS, or keep a older system.

If you really can't do without DOS you could always make a FAT16 partition.

The XP Home Upgrade disc will install if you have proof that you already have Windows. Yeah, that dusty assed Win95 installer disc you got with your first computer years ago will work, just pop it in during installation for a second and you're done. You don't even have to do that twice.

And if you copy over the security file you don't even need to spend 45 seconds waiting for your modem to call the 1-800 number. I'm sure you still have a modem since you're a DOS buff.

I used to use Win98SE. Here are my personal favorite things about XP:

1. I haven't had a single system lock-up or blue screen at all. Sometimes programs go nuts and try to take down the system but that's not Windows fault and there's always a way to kill them.

2. It's faster.

3. I like the skins. There are a few golden ones out there.