Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Linux for PS2, no Doom ports available?

Yeah the US version of the Playstation 2 Linux kit is available for preorder now. The $200 gets you the installation discs, a 40Gb harddrive, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, and a cable that lets you plug your PS2 into your monitor (you have to, at least to set it up).

Now then. On the PS2 Linux forums they're going on and on about how great it will be to get Quake going. I find this amusing.

First of all, the PS2 has a 300Mhz RISC CPU, a 200Mhz 'Emotion' GPU, 32 staggering megs of Ram and a fucking stellar 4 megs of video ram.

The 300Mhz custom CPU will outright best the 733Mhz P3 found in the X-Box, however, it is severely limited for gaming because of it's memory.

Anything written for Linux will work on it. However, you'll have to download or network it. It's designed to not allow any discs other than Sony certified discs to be read while you're in Linux. No CD's, no DVD's. You'll have to reset the console to get that going. They did this because it would make ripping off the PS2 quite easy.

You're also not allowed to directly access the hardware although Sony gives out tons of info on it. There's also no real OpenGL but projects are underway to get that going and compatible.

So you can download any Linux program you want, but there's a big catch. It can't have any processor-specific instructions.

AFAIK, the best Doom ports use plenty of x86 specific instructions.

This begs the question, will someone port ZDoom or PRBoom to raw Linux for use on a Playstation 2 (or does a raw Linux port already exist)?

Most of the ports use x86 instructions when compiling on x86 machines but if you use other processors, there are plain C versions. There should be no problem compiling PrBoom or other well written source ports on it.

Most of the ports use x86 instructions when compiling on x86 machines but if you use other processors, there are plain C versions. There should be no problem compiling PrBoom or other well written source ports on it.

Well, it's geared for Linux veterans and comes with optimized compilers. I don't know the extent of such, but it's probable they're geared for the 128-bit architecture of that processor. =)

i find the hardware of a PS2 not that great. besides i got LINUX on my own PC so why would i want to spend another $200 to use it, limited, on a PS2. i find some of the newer gaming systems to be rather sad this time around. hell the playstation came out in 1995 and look at what they could do with it.

JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!JAGGIES!

that was the only reason why i didnt get a psx.

i am for real. all the games had horible jaggies that made it hard to play. i felt like throwing up.

dreamcast is still the coolest. and the best part, it has doom!!!! o yah, and it has linux, netbsd, kos, and jkos. and best of all, its freeware!!!

DreamCast > Piece of dog crap > PS2

do you mean as in 'greater than' symbol?

If so, you are inspirationally retarded.

Fredrik is a god. I love his long swedish penis

I want an Xbox, I want that game they have commercials for, Reckless? or something. Don't know if it's any good but it looks fun.

bah, I don't want an XBox. Even if teh PS2 has less capabilities it still has the better titles, despite Gate's best efforts..

I'd love to have them both... I don't think that could happen though.

yeah, but you'd need two decent TVs. Only room for one console at a time in most peoples households.

bah I could switch them around, no point in 2 tv's. and I got like 300 bucks now, which should get someting decent enough... than again I don't have the money for either an xbox or psx if I get a new tv. I'll just stick with the pc. =]

I have my PS2, X-Box and Gamecube running through a Pelican Accessories Switchbox. Four buttons on it, each one labelled for which console it activates. They all go straight through the line in on the front of my TV.

My TV's max rez is 600 lines. My dual head stereo VCR's max rez is 200 lines. The games look a SHITLOAD better going straight into the TV, and this switchbox saves me a lot of pain.

The original cables for my first Playstation are fucking mangled. ^.^

that must be the first time i agree with ralphis...unless he got the "greater than" signs all backwards.

that must be the first time i agree with ralphis...unless he got the "greater than" signs all backwards.

Yeah, you usually don't learn about those until in like third grade.

Originally posted by Fredrik

Yeah, you usually don't learn about those until in like third grade. [/quote]hahaha. So true. I remember back then when i thought 4 math problems was a lot of homework. Now i have 4 reports a week.

god, I'm just remember all my toys and their names... makes me want to cry =[

WOW!! Man, Doom ports on the PS2 would be sooo fucking cool!!
aaaawwwwww(wipes drool from the keyboard)

I would even install the dreaded Chip to be able to play them, even if it meant risking the life of my beautiful PS2!!

Bah, the playstation 2 can play playstation 1 games, get PSX doom and PSX final doom...save your $200

i see no reason to get a slow annoying ps2 besides mgs2. the dreamcast blows the ps2 away. unfortunately because ps2 has blind followers (who don't see the system for the dogshit it really is), it'll sadly beat the console wars this time. :(

let's put it this way:

the ps2 is to the ps the same way n64 was to the snes. an outstanding predecessor doesn't mean the new system is any good.

besides, why would you play a linux port of doom on the ps2 when you can play a near perfect translation of doom on it already? complete with better sound, better music, new levels, faster gameplay and colored lighting. the linux port will be crappy. it'll be a step backwards. no point in wasting the effort.

i see no reason to get a slow annoying ps2 besides mgs2.

I FUCKING ABHOR THE QUOTING SYSTEM NOW.

Ahem. That's not a valid reason to get a PS2. That's a valid reason to arson any place that sells PS2s. That game, much like it's predecessor, is so fucking overhyped it's hard to comprehend.

the dreamcast blows the ps2 away. unfortunately because ps2 has blind followers (who don't see the system for the dogshit it really is), it'll sadly beat the console wars this time. :(

Well, in all honesty, if there was only one thing Sony did differently the PS2 would be just about as powerful as the X-Box. If it had 32 megs of video ram instead of 4. That terrible, terrible mistake is, really, the only thing that makes the PS2 shitty. Even if coders have to program directly in 128bit assembly the games are still good... it's just the crippled video they have to deal with.

Whereas with the Gamecube or X-Box... coding is a breeze, and even first generation games on these systems often blow second and third generation PS2 games completely out of the water in the graphics department.

besides, why would you play a linux port of doom on the ps2 when you can play a near perfect translation of doom on it already?

Oh you mean the PSX Doom with it's butchered levels?

complete with better sound,

That's arguable.

better music,

That's arguable, and I definitely disagree.

new levels,

Two or 3 right?

faster gameplay

PSX Doom does not play faster than PC Doom. The game pace is not only slower but it does not pull a full 35 frames a second.

and colored lighting.

Whoopee.

the linux port will be crappy. it'll be a step backwards. no point in wasting the effort.

Wasting the effort? ANY PORT YOU CAN PLAY ON YOUR PC CAN BE PORTED TO LINUX. OBVIOUSLY, THEN, ANY PORT YOU CAN PLAY ON YOUR PC CAN BE PORTED TO THE PLAYSTATION 2.

With a 128-bit 300Mhz RISC CPU and a 200Mhz GPU to power the GL.

With a little bit of effort you could have your PS2 be the server for a ZDaemon game for every computer in your house.

Deadnail your are the BEST!!!

I was just getting my argument together and you came along and wrote an even better one!

Any of the source ports you care to name are better than PSX Doom. The best thing about the PSX Doom was the music, everything else was damn similar to pc Doom.

And I have both the PSX and PS2, and I've seen them in action. I'm sure their are some people around here who simply start waffling on about how bad something is, even though they've probably never even tried it!

Thank you for your attention... Carry on.