Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

Why isn't there a devil in Doom?

DoomUK said:

I was referring to the image in Maes' post which has disappeared.

Yes, you were talking about the big round head yes? If I understood correctly, you were saying that you thought that was a Baron/Hell Knight. Which is autistic. If that's not you meant, then I am sorry.

Clonehunter said:

Yes, you were talking about the big round head yes? If I understood correctly, you were saying that you thought that was a Baron/Hell Knight. Which is autistic. If that's not you meant, then I am sorry.

Lol. For clarification:-

Baron

Hell Knight

Icon of Sin

Arch-vile

...Notice how the "Hell Knight" is a different beast than the Icon of Sin (albeit subtly; different ears, eyes a little closer together), which is what has always made me think it must be what a Hell Knight is supposed to look like, if the technology and resources of the time had permitted that kind of detail. I don't see why the Icon of Sin would be depicted in two different ways. I also find it hard to accept that the Baron and Hell Knight would look identical, except for different skin tones. Sorry for having an imagination.

Either prove me wrong with evidence so that I and possibly others can learn something we didn't know about Doom, or just let me have my apparently retarded opinion before I have my own brain aneurysm over this :p

DoomUK said:

Notice how the "Hell Knight" is a different beast than the Icon of Sin (albeit subtly; different ears, eyes a little closer together), which is what has always made me think it must be what a Hell Knight is supposed to look like, if the technology and resources of the time had permitted that kind of detail. I don't see why the Icon of Sin would be depicted in two different ways.

I'd say the Icon of Sin and your "Hell Knight" (which first appeared in Registered Doom) have a common ancestor, with the main difference between them being changes to the aspect ratio in order to best fit the available space.

(1152x384 - 102k)

I also find it hard to accept that the Baron and Hell Knight would look identical, except for different skin tones. Sorry for having an imagination.

You can probably blame that and various other design shortcuts on production deadlines, and there's nothing wrong with having an imagination.

There's absolutely no way that the Hell Knight has a more decorated symbol than its superior Baron of Hell. If anything, I'd say that MARBFACE (the one with the bloody pentagram) is a Bruiser Demon (KDiZD). It also looks like the so-called satanist goat head, but in classic Doom's style and copyright.

I always thought the left one was a hellknight while the right one was satan

The Tenacious D devil is pretty stereotypical:

Now who doesn't want to rock his socks off?

sgt dopey said:

Nope you're probably thinking about the title screen in Hell to Pay by the same company

Oh yeah my mistake. I keep getting both of the two confused >.>

DoomUK said:

...Notice how the "Hell Knight" is a different beast than the Icon of Sin (albeit subtly; different ears, eyes a little closer together), which is what has always made me think it must be what a Hell Knight is supposed to look like, if the technology and resources of the time had permitted that kind of detail. I don't see why the Icon of Sin would be depicted in two different ways. I also find it hard to accept that the Baron and Hell Knight would look identical, except for different skin tones. Sorry for having an imagination.

Either prove me wrong with evidence so that I and possibly others can learn something we didn't know about Doom, or just let me have my apparently retarded opinion before I have my own brain aneurysm over this :p

Not really what I was getting at but okay I see what your saying. I always saw the Pentagram skull though as the Icon of Sin, but then again I played Doom II before I played Doom. Not that really means much, however, as said with design shortcuts I can see them just reusuing the Pentagram face for the icon of sin, but other wise your's is an interesting look, and in any sort of Doom canon I guess makes sense.

Anyways Yah...

I've been no-clipping through E4M6, until I found this very disturbing scene:

It felt like the Doom 2 final boss was teleported here to get a peek! So please don't tell me that face is just a Hell Knight, because it's not.

printz said:

I've been no-clipping through E4M6, until I found this very disturbing scene:

It felt like the Doom 2 final boss was teleported here to get a peek! So please don't tell me that face is just a Hell Knight, because it's not.

The left looks so creepy :)

I don't think the devil, if there is one in Doomverse, would be stupid enough to allow himself to be harmed by mortal means. Unfortunately for them, due to the limits of our reality their denizens are subjected to the same mortal death as we do, hence being harmed by our man-made weapons.

At least thats how I've always philosophized it. If there is indeed something greater than the Icon of Sin/Demon-Spitter/Gatekeeper we will never fight it. And that's what keeps Doom going. Other than the UAC of course. If there's any indication why things keep going wrong it's because of human error.

Unless all the dead marines are being "promoted" to take him on/subjected to his torment in the real, astral Hell where our man-made weapons won't be worth a shit, and not the physical dimension version that Doomguy keeps going back to and killing off Icons.

IDFK I think too much and this place doesn't help.

How about Wolfenstein? It does have regen health yeah, but it also has lots of shooting.

Wrong thread. I'll post this where it belongs. It's because of Cyanosis' post which looks almost identical.

The universe I've personally created out of my own interpretation of my Doom experiences essentially prohibits the Devil from revealing him/itself. Since I see all of the demons and demonic architecture as part of a sadistic game being played on unwitting humans, it would be foolish for the creator of this game (the Devil, if we really want to call it that) to play any part, unless it were to become tired of these games and decide that it was time it really put itself in real mortal danger.

In my mind, there really is no devil involved, it's just an amalgam of races from a different dimension, coming to earth to kill everything. Since I don't really believe in a judeo-christian religion, thats what I've personally constructed for the story. The pentagram's and hellish images could just be like a religious cult kind of deal. And they believe in this all powerful evil.

PROTIP: The Devil is using a distributed Cloud for its existence, spread into its infinite minions. You won't find a single "the" Devil.

Speaking of Dr. Fraud, one of the many stupid things about Doom 3 was that the demons actually honored their promise to him. That's real evil, yo.