Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shark

GZDooM Dynamic Lights?

After getting my hands on the latest version of GZDoom, I have finally seen how amazing it is.

However, no matter what I do, I can't get dynamic lights and special lights on objects like Imp Fireballs and Candelabras to work.

What is wrong, and how can I fix it? I would be very thankful if anyone can help.

Skulltag has a menu option for that but I don't know about GZDoom, I don't have it. Don't hurt me D:

Some people really need to be told to RTFW. (That does not mean "Return To Fortress Wolfenstein", by the way.)

Gez said:

Some people really need to be told to RTFW. (That does not mean "Return To Fortress Wolfenstein", by the way.)

RTFW = Read the f'n wiki?

If that is what it means, it's kinda harsh. The G/Zdoom wiki isn't the easiest to figure out for the average player with little or no experience modding or tinkering.

Brewtal_Legend said:

If that is what it means, it's kinda harsh. The G/Zdoom wiki isn't the easiest to figure out for the average player with little or no experience modding or tinkering.

Not to derail the thread into a conversation that's been had before, but it's definitely a good thing that people shouldn't just dive straight into port features without learning the basics first. Don't run before you can walk, etc.

Brewtal_Legend said:

If you have advices to give about helping make it more accessible to the uninitiated, I'm all ears.

Yeah I know it's an old thread but I had the same issue in Win 8.1 with the 3 current builds of gzDoom.

I tested with these:
gZdoom Version 1.9.1 (OpenGL 2.0 compatible).zip
gZdoom Version 2.1.1 OGL 3 32-bit.zip
gZdoom Version 2.1.1 OGL 3 64-bit.zip
zdoom-2.8.1.zip

It was refusing to load the extra pk3's
brightmaps.pk3 lights.pk3

My solution for anyone else who has that issue (because it's a great feature to have when playing Doom over again) is to extract those 2 PK3 files directly into:
gzdoom.pk3
in the Doom directory (or whichever game)

It's not a pretty solution but it works and the menu options for Dynamic lighting (on / off) , bloom etc all function properly too afterwards.

Didn't figure out why it won't load them from commandline or the global.ini settings.

The current behavior is by design (as Gez's link clearly explains), and your solution is the wrong way to do it.

The reason for not autoloading these files is that

a) not all users want those features and
b) not all mods work correctly with them.

If you want them autoloaded, you have to manually put them into the autoload sections of the config file, but then be aware that if you play some mods that change the graphics may look a bit broken.

In no case you should copy their contents into gzdoom.pk3!

Also, congratulations for a pointless monster bump!

I realise that it's designed that way.

My solution is for the failure of gZdoom to load the:
[Global.Autoload]
section at ALL.

As I said in my text, especially the last line.
If NOTHING else works, this does work. (If the system meets the openGL requirements).

It might be specific to Win8.1, maybe not. In case some one has the same issue. There's a solution.
In my case I'm using it with pure versions of Doom1/2 and Final. No mods.

It's not pointless if someone else finds the answer.

impdemongoat said:

I realise that it's designed that way.

My solution is for the failure of gZdoom to load the:
[Global.Autoload]
section at ALL.

Of course it loads its contents - unless you did something wrong.
What do you think where I have this stuff placed?

Hiya!

Personally? I just use Beautiful DOOM with GZDOOM. Lots of tasty eye-candy then! :) But if I want really gorgeous, butter-smooth, 'feels like it could be a real place' type of graphics, I turn to Doomsday Engine. I just wish DE was as easy to map for and supported more firmly for mappers. :( Right now, it just takes a lot more time to make a nice looking map for DE if you are making a Hexen or Heretic level in particular. DOOM/2, no so much...but having to fire up DE, load your map, load your .ded's (for new models, glowing textures, dynamic lights, etc), then seeing that your torchlight is too red...and having to close DE, make tweaks, save .ded's, load DE, load your map, load your .ded's, etc? Quite time consuming. Being able to use GZDOOMBUILDER2, have it load in my DOOM2.wad, the three BDoom files, and then just add my own GLDEFS file to my wad...and everything shows up in the editor? Sweet as pie!

^_^

Paul L. Ming