Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

The Plutonia Experiment Authors

Greetings.

Does anyone know of a list of exactly which maps were created by each author? This information is missing on the Wiki except for MAP32 which was made by Milo Casali.

I do know that they each made 16 levels, but there's no indication of which ones they are.

Did one make even maps and the other odd? Or were there episodes and such? Or did they both work on every map?

Thanks.

This has been a discussion in a number of topics, and the best we've come across with speculation based on similarities between certain maps AFAIK. The fun part was when people found common map properties than I did and, thus, had an near-opposite opinion of who made which map.

I've been wondering this for a long time myself.

Me too. Well, as far as I'm thinking, I would say the way to know the differences between Dario's and Milo's maps is the type of gameplay and the like. I think Milo's maps were the maps that had tightly-packed monsters complete with curved or blockish architecture and were straightforward, while Dario's maps featured somewhat complex and fiendish scenarios (like his Map23: Hatred from Requiem), however, both shared tricky fights with some, if not many, slaughters, like Map32 for example. Both Dario and Milo designed 16 maps each for Plutonia, so here's my speculation on who designed which map.

Map01: Milo
Map02: Dario
Map03: Milo
Map04: Dario
Map05: Milo
Map06: Dario
Map07: Dario
Map08: Dario
Map09: Milo (reskinned version of his Butcher.wad)
Map10: Dario
Map11: Dario
Map12: Milo
Map13: Dario
Map14: Dario
Map15: Milo
Map16: Milo
Map17: Dario
Map18: Milo
Map19: Milo
Map20: Dario
Map21: Milo
Map22: Dario
Map23: Milo
Map24: Dario (looks and plays a fair bit like MM's Map24: Diehard)
Map25: Dario
Map26: Dario
Map27: Milo
Map28: Milo
Map29: Milo
Map30: Milo
Map31: Dario
Map32: Milo

I think it's easier to get him on mail. I did it once so he gives his blessing to Plutonia 2.

Wow T-Rex, good guess, 4 mistakes only, but we assumed it was 16 maps each. Waiting for Ghostly's story... :)

Hot dog! Nice work, Ghostly! That's one of the great mysteries solved, finally. Funny how it was that simple. :P

It's interesting, though -- now that the authors are revealed, it's really obvious that each one had their own particular style. Milo's maps in particular are very distinct with their curvy architecture w/rounded rooms everywhere, a trait I've always found indicative of Plutonia itself.

I e-mailed Dario (couldn't find Milo's address), and he responded but it took about a day or so to get a response.

But it feels good to know who made the levels now instead of random guesses.

Awwwww yissssss

I tried emailing him a few months ago about this but never got a reply. Good on you!

GhostlyDeath said:

I e-mailed Dario (couldn't find Milo's address), and he responded but it took about a day or so to get a response.

Milo also shared Dario's address, because I remember when looking at the MM author information text file, and also the textfiles of their The Best series, his contact address was exactly the same as Dario's. All in all, I'm looking forward to checking out the updates on Doom Wiki.

Xaser said:

It's interesting, though -- now that the authors are revealed, it's really obvious that each one had their own particular style. Milo's maps in particular are very distinct with their curvy architecture w/rounded rooms everywhere, a trait I've always found indicative of Plutonia itself.

Yeah, I really admire Milo's unique style and architecture, which was cited by various authors including Yonatan Donner since HR is close to Plutonia in terms of megawads offering difficult gameplay. I think Tom Hall was sort of the influence on them, since if you look at his maps for Doom, and of course Map 10's Doom 2, he had boxy and curvy architecture with round rooms, something which were cited by authors during Doom's early years such as Chris Klie, Milo Casali, and Yonatan Donner.

T-Rex said:

Milo also shared Dario's address, because I remember when looking at the MM author information text file, and also the textfiles of their The Best series, his contact address was exactly the same as Dario's. All in all, I'm looking forward to checking out the updates on Doom Wiki.

That e-mail address is from the mid 90s, I doubt it is even valid.

Yeah, true. I know Dario's address has changed, but I don't about Milo's, whether he still does stuff with his brother or not. I know they went on different vocations, with Dario being on Valve Software, and Milo on Barking Dog Studios.