Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zeta000

Share your Doom newbie experiences!!

When I started the Shareware version, I...

1. Could not beat level 5,, even with cheating
2. Didn't know that you can't jump - wasted 10 good minutes
3. Didn't know how to open doors!!

When I first played SNES doom when I was 6 I played all the way through episode 1 and beat it. Bookaya.

Originally posted by zeta000
When I started the Shareware version, I...

1. Could not beat level 5,, even with cheating
2. Didn't know that you can't jump - wasted 10 good minutes
3. Didn't know how to open doors!!

...and that was five weeks ago today.

But seriously, I just used the cheat codes and beat as much as I could (all of Doom and half of Doom2) and thats about as far as I've gotten.

The day I bought Doom 2, I spent that night playing through it. Scarred me for life. :)

When I first played the registered version of my cousin's laptop, I could NOT find my way out of the blue key room in E1M3, where the lights black out after picking up the key. I tried for about 15 minutes before starting E2.

When I first played doom I played on nightmare skill and couldn't get over the bridge in e1m3 even though I tried for several days.

Remember Heretic's E1M2, that place where you grabbed the key and all the lights went out as several Knights were released? I think that little scene scared me more than any Doom moment.

But yeah, I couldn't stand the darkness my first months with Doom. I still can't, to tell the truth. It makes me very nervous.

Originally posted by Zaldron
Remember Heretic's E1M2, that place where you grabbed the key and all the lights went out as several Knights were released? I think that little scene scared me more than any Doom moment.

I would say it scared me, as much as took me by surprise. Something about Heretic's pretty colors and setting just made it not scary, even though wandering around with almost no health or ammo a few times made it suspenseful, but only in the respect that I didn't want to start the level from scratch if I DID get myself into a situation I couldn't get out of.

I need to play through Heretic again. I actually remembered to bring my UDoom and Towers of Dorkness CDs back with me from spring break.

Here goes one of my really long posts:

The first time I played DOOM was when I was in 4th grade, about a year after it came out. I went every week to this psychologist (yeah, I had some mental problems) who had the shareware version on the computer in her office which ran off of good ole' Win3.1 :) Believe me, I was lucky to get past E1M2 alive in one shot. Those few times I played it I thought it was just another cheesy shooter type game. That was also the computer I happened to first play Wolfenstein and Blake Stone on. Sadly (though I didn't think so at the time), after a couple of months I stopped seeing her and did not see it again for about 3 years.

Christmas 1997 comes along and my mom, sister, and I go to Michigan to see the family up there. Let me just say that in terms of gifts it was the worst Christmas of my life! Anyway, of the presents my Uncle Todd was a joystick for the computer which ran Win95 on it. Lo and behold, it also came with the DOOM shareware disks on it! I ended up playing it more than he did those last few days before I left.

Only about 2 days or so after we all came back to Texas (around Jan. 2 1998), my dad decided to give me a late Christmas present. He bought me 3 video games, 2 of them for regular Nintendo. The third one would uknowingly at the time make an impact on me later in life. You guessed it; it was the 32X version of DOOM. For the the first time in my life I had played the game beyond Knee-Deep in the Dead. In between that time and the next part below my friend got the SNES version, though I wasn't too impressed with it. I thought 32X version was kick ass enough, then.....

After playing that version for a few months, my dad finally got remarried and in the summer of '98 we moved out of the old mobile home. My stepmom had a computer with Win95 on it (my dad has and never will understand the importance of computers in this world; had it not been for him, my mom would have gotten a Win3.1 computer when it came out and I just might be a DOS programming wizard by now), but the DOOM significance of that one wouldn't come until later. During that summer, I discovered that my mom's newfound roomate had "something called The Ultimate DOOM" on her Mac. The week after I spent some time at the private lake she had, I finally got to play it over at her house. I almost literally creamed my jeans =) I discovered then that the 32X version was incomplete, and the music to it just swept me away (it was before I became somewhat computer literate though, so I had no idea better MIDI cards out there existed).

Though I don't remember the exact time, I do know that at some point in my 8th grade year (August 1998 - May 1999) I finally found Doomworld (I, of course, didn't become a forum goer until the summer between my freshman and sophomore years). What I was searching for was just the music to the game while killing the free time that I had in the computer class I was taking. That page came up, and those MIDIs were awesome!!!! (those computers must have had damn good sound cards on them) Other than the Roland MP2s, I have not heard any better sounding Doom MIDIs ever since!

Middle of 8th grade rolls around and I finally get DOOM 2. Now is when my stepmom's computer becomes significant. I could not stop playing it for weeks! Believe me, it upset everyone in the house except my sister (she actually played a little bit of it too). I could understand why...the computer was in my older stepsister's room! Believe it or not, that became part of the basis for me moving out of my stepmom's place and into my mom's place (sounds retarded, I know). My stepmom, bitch as she is, claimed it was not healthy for me to play that. She went ballistic over it! I just could not stand her attitude, not just about computer games, but about EVERYTHING! If you've lived with her long enough, you'll understand.

I'll conclude with this: had it not been for my discovering of DW, I might still not be as computer literate as I am today. This community opened to the doors to me discovering what really goes on the computer world and helped me understand what all the jargon meant. I bewilder a lot of people at my school today beacause of my higher knowledge (compared to their knowledge, at least). I know it sounds dumb to say a "stupid game" made a significant impact on my life, but in this case it actually did! Please don't think I'm crazy, but it actually has improved my knowledge of computers altogether! God, I feel like writing an article like the one BigD worte =)

PC: E1M3:
I fell off the "bridge" and fell into the toxic floor multiple times. Besides that, I was like Lüt: I couldn't find my way out of the blue key room after getting the blue key.

SNES: E1M8:
I kept on wondering why everytime I entered the dark room with all the demons and imps the game would restart back to the title screen after app. three seconds. :P

E2M2 - Refinery:
I could barely make it past the room with the berserk pack

E2M4 - Halls of the Damned:
"Wow, this is the spookiest map I played yet..."

...I said with 45% health...maybe 25%...slowly and cautiously creeping through the long STONE1 corridor expecting something BIG to show up, but to only find three more passageways at the other end.

/me begins to hum Sinister...

Also, it was about 3 years before I began playing the game (after I got it for myself) without lightamp on all the time.

I always hated the horrible color loss in dark environments.

I didn't play the shareware first but played my 2nd cousin's full version back in Canada, summer '94 when it still came on floppies.

I was so addicted I saw more of E1 than Vancouver.

I played on UV with the cheats on like a whore, even though he couldn't remember what noclip (idspispopd) was at the time. I really loved just going mad with plasma gun, even though now I only really use it in an emergency.

I would be like nagging him as soon as we got round there each day to load it up, I couldn't do it because I didn't have the first clue about computers or DOS back then. I didn't play again 'till '96 when Doom95 had been released.

He was already editing his own maps, but I guess nowadays he's moved on to Quake.

/Me is hooked for life.

Originally posted by pritch
I really loved just going mad with plasma gun, even though now I only really use it in an emergency.

Me too. Whenever I'm playing a serious game, it's a rare occasion that I'll use anything besides the shotgun or sometimes chaingun, unless I'm almost out of ammo for each or 2 cyberdemons just walked into the pit I'm in.

I could write a long story about this... if you're interested, read my wadster on DC. I guess you're not, though :P

Of course, he's waiting until I finish Millennium to do the WADster, so...

Originally posted by Lüt
Of course, he's waiting until I finish Millennium to do the WADster, so...

You'll have infinite stuff to tell by then.

Damn, back to schoolwork in 2 minutes, gotta end spamming session. Bye for a while, Lüt :\

Originally posted by Fredrik:
You'll have infinite stuff to tell by then.

Yeah, if I don't forget it all by then.

Bye for a while, Lüt :\

Heh, I'll be back on IRC in a few days, provided XP doesn't rape my system.

Originally posted by Lüt
Heh, I'll be back on IRC in a few days, provided XP doesn't rape my system.

I'm waiting =)

Originally posted by Lüt
Me too. Whenever I'm playing a serious game, it's a rare occasion that I'll use anything besides the shotgun or sometimes chaingun, unless I'm almost out of ammo for each or 2 cyberdemons just walked into the pit I'm in.

Heheh, word to that.

A friend and I were in a stealing phase (we were like 12) and we were at EB thinking how easy it is to nab those trading card game thingies from behind the counter..

Anyway we snagged descent shareware + doom shareware.. I ended up letting him keep the doom CD and made my mom buy me one (a cooler disc with maps of the levels and interviews and shit on it).. i never did buy registered doom i waited and got ultimate doom..

my first times playing were on the gateway 486dx with no mouse and no sound/music (well. i used the PC Speaker beep sounds). (none of this crap would work in dos.. i had fucked something up) But i still played it every damn day till the computer broke down.