Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Gamma correction

GreyGhost said:
My old CRT was a bit dark so everything appeared ultra-bright when I switched to an LCD monitor - the factory defaults were overly bright. Fortunately, SonicIce saved the day with this handy wad (more details here) that I use to adjust monitor brightness at gamma 0 in DOSBox before fiddling with gamma settings in ports. That wad should be in the archive. If a few more players used it before posting screenshots, Soda would have less to complain about.

Speed running and deathmatch require more brightness than more casual play, so when I passed to an LCD I was just happy because it looked better in gamma 0 than the old CRT with gamma 3 but still had the right brightness for competitive play, so I just stuck with the default LCD settings and ended a previous brightness dilemma.

Most competitive players I know play with full gamma. While everything looks washed out as shit, you're never ambushed by something lurking in the dark. I kind of hate it, whenever I played casually (coop, sp) I used a much lower gamma setting, but losing is worse than everything, including being blinded.

Overly high brightness in screenshots is indeed annoying, but for me that's by far the least annoying thing. The wild size variations of the newstuff screenshots bothers me way more, but 1st place goes to stretch skies in zdoom (i think it's only in zdoom?). It fucks up the skies so badly. Like, if it's used on a doom1 ep1 or ep2 sky, the mountains become absurdly tall and you can't even see actual sky behind them unless you look up. When i see people playing with that on i get really angry really fast. Are people blind or something? Why bother with texturing, lightning or any visual design at all if people don't care about it and readily fuck it up with their stupid settings? (to a lesser extent this also applies to opengl modes in ports, which usually makes everything too uniformly bright)

I rarely touch gamma because I like a dark, atmospheric game experience. If it's far too dark I may bump it up once or twice.

The reason I don't set my gamma to 1.0 is because I don't want to waste time reseting my monitors gamma just after getting done with Doom (GLBoom mind you) I don't see why you complain about it. Not everyone has to have the same setting as everyone else :P