Doom's Knight Demoversion on iTunes

Why would you respect someone selling a crappy Doom clone? The tendency for players to acclaim any turd thrown their way as long as it's made by the little guy (for more and more dubious definitions of "made" and "little guy") is what hurts video game quality more than any supposed dumbing down coming from eEeEevil corporations.

Share this post


Link to post

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a conscious. When the iPhone source was released, I seriously considered using it to make a game and selling it, but I didn't have the drive to create the maps, much less all of the other resources needed. I never once considered ripping off FreeDoom and selling it as-is.

Share this post


Link to post
NoneeLlama said:

Paying for Freedoom with Oblige maps? Sounds like a great deal to me.


That. Is it even legal that they're charging for FreeDoom content? I don't see anything in FreeDoom's license about using the content for profit, but it still doesn't seem right.

Share this post


Link to post

Says the game is Free.

Also, which port are they based off anyway?

EDIT: Well, you could ask Apple about the source code for this GPL source port.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't see the problem with this, especially that it's free of charge, but if you want a Doom-like experience on your iPhone, look for Gameception. It allows you to load PWADs. It has already been posted about on this forum

Also don't worry that Freedoom's resources aren't finished. Apps can be updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonsbrethren said:

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a conscious. When the iPhone source was released, I seriously considered using it to make a game and selling it, but I didn't have the drive to create the maps, much less all of the other resources needed. I never once considered ripping off FreeDoom and selling it as-is.

Nothing quite wrong with that -- it would be absolutely wonderful to see an original game based on the Doom engine for iPhone with work and care put into it.

Selling Freedoom with OBLIGE maps is cheap, though.

Nomad said:

That. Is it even legal that they're charging for FreeDoom content? I don't see anything in FreeDoom's license about using the content for profit, but it still doesn't seem right.

Perfectly legal; Freedoom's license is specifically choosen to allow re-use of its resources as wide as possible, even in commercial releases. Using Freedoom wholesale and selling that, again, is a bit of a cheap shot, but can't be legally prevented without compromising the project's purpose.

And one more thing: the free software and open source definitions both specifically make sure to not prejudice against commercial or for-profit activity. It causes too much societal harm and enters into too much legal gray-area (what does "non-commerical" mean? It's trickier than you might think) to have any practical benefit at all. It also prevents things like companies selling Debian DVD sets (which happen to contain Freedoom!), who put the prices at around $20 so they just make a small profit and stay afloat on that -- absolutely nothing wrong with the practice, I say.

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't there already something called Hell on Earth for iOs that uses Freedoom? Or are these the same guys with new maps?

Share this post


Link to post
chungy said:

Nothing quite wrong with that -- it would be absolutely wonderful to see an original game based on the Doom engine for iPhone with work and care put into it.

Selling Freedoom with OBLIGE maps is cheap, though.


Maybe Thomas van der Velden should look into getting Harmony up there :P

Share this post


Link to post
scalliano said:

Maybe Thomas van der Velden should look into getting Harmony up there :P

I seem to remember there being a discussion about that a while ago.

You know, with Steam starting Greenlight, I wonder how long it'll be until these same Freedoom mapsets start popping up there.

Share this post


Link to post

"This game is amazingly similar to the XBOX game 'HALO Combat Evolved' which is the first ever HALO game known to man kind and possibly second best. The best is the anniversary version of this game which is 'HALO Combat Evolved Anniversary'. P.S. People must play this game or they will be shot by the flood,the covanent,truth and master chief! "

retard's review of DOOMED HERETIC app. sigh

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now