Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

Any Doom-related dreams?

Wow, I haven't checked out this thread in a long time, and to this day more Doom-related dreams are appearing here!

I...haven't had any Doom-related dreams recently; If anything, I bet...some time ago I've had ones related to World of Kirbycraft, my ZDoom-based TC, but that isn't Doom itself! Still, I'll read all of them I see here.

Also, although these are all interesting dreams, that DeviantArt one about someone dreaming about Hellsmith, only to download the monster named that and see it appear in-game is very interesting.

I recall dreaming about a level where there's literally secret walls in a straight line towards the exit. Like it's supposed to be a moderately sized level but, if you kept going straight forward pressing use on each wall directly in front of you, you'd just go straight to the exit, bypassing everything.

Dreamt just now that one of my former college teachers was doing a class on Doom modding as a creative exercise. So I sit down and play some of the students' mods. All of them, interestingly, had custom splash screens and text graphics. One featured some Duke Nukem sprites for the player, as well as some Duke talk. Rather awkwardly, it also featured the author's own recorded voice which didn't sound at all like Duke. The running speed was unusually slow as I explored what appeared to be a lush island. Most of the enemies were these cartoonish, pissed off rhinos.

What was really interesting was how, when I would play these maps, I would literally go into the game. It was one of those dream things where you are simultaneously playing the game and inside of it; it sort of resembles astral projection. I played another one that featured a really nice Doom 64-style bridge (that is, a transparent flat you could walk over and under) and as soon as I walked under it, the effect got all fucked up, and I remarked to the teacher that faking a bridge can be tricky. Once again the running speed was incredibly slow. I think this is because running in dreams is usually very sluggish, but since this was a technically a video game, it's a bit odd that the effect was still in place.

I played another one that seemingly took place in my parents' backyard. It was almost devoid of enemies and suddenly I was completely out of the classroom and just in their yard. I was holding some kind of weird pistol that I guess was supposed to be fake, because it didn't fire anything. Reloading/cocking it was really awkward and difficult to explain visually. Seemed more intricate than necessary. I walked back toward the house and entered through the back. Various family members came pouring out, and inside, I could see a flock of them chatting and eating, as though it were Thanksgiving or Christmas or something. They were also all at least 20-25 years younger, while I was the same age.

MetroidJunkie said:

I recall dreaming about a level where there's literally secret walls in a straight line towards the exit. Like it's supposed to be a moderately sized level but, if you kept going straight forward pressing use on each wall directly in front of you, you'd just go straight to the exit, bypassing everything.

Fun idea, I'd like to see it in a real map, maybe one map per a mapset.

scifista42 said:

Fun idea, I'd like to see it in a real map, maybe one map per a mapset.

Interesting. I had this idea in my head for a long time but I never implemented it anywhere...

Today I had a dream where I was going to make a sequel for the Doomguy's Pimp Ventures series. I opened one of the later installments in Slade to rip the resources from it, and discovered that the cyberdemon, demon and somehow even the cacodemon had separate butt sprites that were slightly different from the corresponding parts of their regular sprites, and they were supposed to be overlaid like the muzzle flash sprites on guns, which would add additional depth somehow.

(WARNING: The thread you are replying to is more than three months old. You should carefully consider if your message is important enough to warrant bumping the thread.)
What kinda question is that? I had a dream about butts, how much more important does it get?

Guest Unregistered account

So, uh... are you gonna make it?

The only Doom dream I can recall ever having was from a very long time ago, when my only exposure to the original game was the shareware. I dreamt that I finally found some way to clear E1M8. It involved somehow getting on top of the star-shaped building, and finding an exit switch. It then led me to "Level 10," which was called Skid Row, I think.

I think the reason I had this dream was because when I was little, I couldn't accept that E1M8 ended with the player "dying." I was convinced it was some kind of trap and there had to be a standard exit switch somewhere, because that was how every other map ended.

I'm having several Doom related dreams lately, due to playing a lot of it. Anyway, let me see if I can remember well some of my dreams from years ago...

There was one were I was the doomguy and I was in an X-shaped brown room, with several pick ups in the corners, it actually was really quiet there, and I was supposed to be fearless and explore other rooms. That's all.

In another one, I suddenly appeared in a very wide open rectangular room, green textures, the most common in Doom, and there was a huge monster in front of me, a sort of mancubi, and some hell knights if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, the only thing I remember is that I was scared and running away from them.

Another one was a very very very long level, where I was fighting demons through confined halls, and gunners and imps on taller platforms. I'm pretty sure that was the most Doomish dream I've ever had.

There was one where I was about to finnish the whole game, and I decided to go to a secret part, that had a looooooong path on lava to the end. There were megaspheres too.

In another one, I was looking for something special, not Doom related, but the scenario was like dark grey rocks (common in Doom) with cacodemons, and ammo spread around. I think there were soulspheres too, and the main plot was me replaying a Doom level in a safer way.

There's this one, where I was contemplating an unreachable red keycard, and all I had to do is look for a way to reach it, kinda like map02 of Doom 2. 

More recent dreams that I remember are:

This one was scary, I was walking on the street normally and suddenly I had to run through a slope where I found a cyberdemon, who I immediately dodged, and then more and more monsters appeared, like a dragon type (similar to the Hexen one) and flying guys, I was so scared, and failed to progress. I don't remember what happened next.

In this one, I was in a house similiar to my grandparents ex-house. I was on the first floor and a there was guy who was supposed to resemble a hell knight walking next to the wall. There was an opened door leading to another room, but very dark and scary, where I heard that revenants woke up, but never showed up to me. So I pushed the guy to get into that room, and everything went silent, darker, and scarier, so I tried to escape the house and eventually forced myself to wake up. Phew!...

If I remember another one I'll post it soon.

(sorry for the double post)

A couple of nights ago I had this dream where there were ghosts and spirits in my house, and my mother and I escaped and some friends of ours (that don't exist in reality) guided us to their house to do an exorcism. There were some, shamans I guess, that were doing their thing in the center of room. In that moment I remembered that I saw a cyberdemon fighting the ghosts in my house (something that I actually was dreaming previously, I hided in a safe place like the marine would do, to see tons of rockets and fireballs in the air, pretty scary tbh). So, I called the cyberdemon by saying "ayúdanos cyberdemon" ("help us" in english), and he appeared and did the same as the shamans, but he was growling. Apparently, he saved us, which was strange because I know he comes from hell, but anyways... 

Yep, I've been watching a lot of horror movies recently... 

On 10/05/2017 at 3:37 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

which was strange because I know he comes from hell, but anyways...

Strange, but not impossible. Doom's plot never really mattered so much, and it could be mostly changed without affecting the gameplay aspects. So, say that Cyber"demon" is actually a genetic experimentation that failed and he was avenging his maker's loneliness as a scientist. Something like that maybe?

EDIT: Well, this Argent energy nonsense in Doom 4 surely is a puzzle, but I think that dream is more really about Doom 1 and 2.

This is more about tripping than dreaming (I would argue both mental states are very similar), but I've slowly began to notice that a lot of the biomechanical and cybernetic motifs I often see while tripping are highly reminiscent of both Classic and modern Doom. There are also a lot of demonic elements that seem to echo the franchise; sardonic and sometimes sexually charged beasts resembling barons and cyberdemons. They tend to have higher dimensional topologies than what you would see in the game, but there is an id Software-ish notion to much of it that resemble door and weapon textures as well as the old school Doom logo's individual details.

Some day ago I dreamed of a red (city?) maze made of SP_HOT1 without any monster, I remember it was pretty intricate with passages that goes above and below... It was a fast dream, then I dreamed of something else...

Fortunately not anymore - part of why I had to completely stop the insanity and it took a while to get it "out of the brain" - even being happy not to be able to recall stuff others asked. Kinda feels weird to fill your dream diary with doom stuff.

Strongly guess playing doom has an certain impact on the kind of dreams too -dreamworld getting more "maplike" maybe, but still some weird mixtures as long as its not "lucid".  Maybe with Quake later the dreams one being chased (a larger part of my dreams) became "true" 3D - climbing and hiding upstairs rather than speedrunning/hiding a flat world ;)

Concerning dreams - I fully agree to the Song "Mad World" in which is a line "the dreams in which Im dying are the best I ever had".

"Hiding upstairs" maybe doesnt look too stupid in that connection anymore

Doom-related nightmares again? Yes, please.

Spoiler

I don't know what's the phisyology behind all of this stuff, but it's mind-blowing nevertheless. Imagine an Imp plush made for kids aged 3-5, par exemple. Sure it wouldn't consist of pixels, 'cuz it'd be real. And it wouldn't be that scary either - goofy, cute, cartoony it would be for pretty sure.

Then make this Imp plush a "sprite", make it as many frames as the original graphics, and insert it into the original game. OHNOES. That which used to be an Imp is now a hideous sack of cloth with tiny black pearl-like eyes and it looks superrealistic. Yes, this is how a nightmare is made true.

I was in a, later turning out to be rather tiny and almost pitch black map. An absolute zero source of light I came from, which looked like the end of a corridor. Then I remembered. They accidentally left the door of my padded cell open, so I took a chance and sneaked out to take a pee all by myself. But somehow the way back turned out to be longer and darker than before; isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Never mind, all I need is now to get myself back to where I sleep. A super detalied, only dimly lit door could be made out right around a sharp lightray broken by grates coming out of "my" cell, somehow it closed all by itself. I pressed use against it.

The wall on the opposite side suddenly burst open, revealing a couple of Imps looking like *detailed in the Spoiler*. From the far black end of the corridor, some Creepypasta-esque ghouls (which turned out to be replacements for Lost Souls) also charged at me. I avoided them (didn't even dare to think of what could've happened if I let them touch me by any chance), and blasted all the bestiary thrown at me into pieces with an SSG I didn't remember to have. Then, in the "Imp" alcove, I pressed a switch to open a door, which looked like a janitor's closet. A single monster "greeted" me - I mistook it for a Demon, but it was only similar, a hideous pink beast with caterpillar-esque jaws and dark red eyes, mostly reminding me of an Alien movie. Before it could grind me with its tongue-with-teeth, though, I woke up.

Listening to horridly frightening music will surely make me end up in an asylum for real someday.

I dreamed about playing doom, but I couldn't see the keyboard or mouse. I can't remember the wad, either. Fun though.

EDIT: Forgot to put when. I think I had this one about a week ago.

On 5/13/2017 at 0:50 PM, Scypek2 said:

I had a dream that Nature's Call has been updated with advanced snot physics. I almost managed to stick an imp to the ceiling before I woke up.

WHAT... WHAT THE FUCK?

I wish I have fresh memories of this past dream:

- This if from a few weeks ago, several things (that there's no point telling) happened before the scene became Doom-related. I was coming out of the school I guess, a bunch of students were around. It was a sunny day, the place was a circular floor, like a small square. There were also some spots that simulated bushes. All of a sudden an ambush of revenants and hell knights teleported in to fuck the peace. A few seconds later, an archvile appeared there too. I don't remember how I dealt with the ambushes, but I remember dodging myself homing rockets like a boss. 

Meanwhile, the scene was transforming into a narrow corridor with 4 doors, two opposite the other two. I had the plasma rifle in hand, and an archvile (I suppose it was the same) came out of one of the doors. Immediately I shot him but he was too fast and went into another room, which was my parents room (wtf). All scared I got into the room and searched for that monster, my father was in his bed and I woke him up screaming "did you see him DID YOU SEE HIM ANSWER ME". He didn't appear, instead, a girl disguised as an archvile came into the room and I don't remember what else happened... Then I woke up.

This one is from last night:

- From where I remember, it was kind of like a movie scene were my crush actor and another one fell into a pool and almost drowned, when a third man saved my crush and they together tried to get the other actor out of the water. He was unconscious, and I entered the scene. How? Idk... But I kind of resurrected him. Ok after that, I was in a courtyard with those men, and suddenly it flooded with arachnotrons. Also for some reason I had a chaingun and could also see a blurry hud. It was showing me that I was starving of ammo, so I got out of there while the spiders were shooting at me (harmless plasma shots luckily). I found clips, shell boxes, energy cell packs, abandoned rooms were I was like "how is that I'm not scared to be here, when I normally would be freaking out and wishing to wake the f*** up..." but yeah I guess the feeling of saving those people and killing the monsters was more intense. So I went back, both a Hell Knight and a Baron of Hell got inside and I SSG them like in real life (in-game real life if you know what I mean), and proceeded to chaingun the arachnotrons. Apparently there were to dead Spider Masterminds too. And that's all I can remember, probably then I woke up.

i've had a couple, but they're mostly pretty similar so i'll only share this one: i was playing a new DOOM game that came out that used the DOOM 2016 graphics, but i was actually in the game. not just VR but i was actually, physically in the game world itself. it was a survival game where the only point was to try to stay alive and kill all the demons in a small, hellish, arena-type setting. the main enemy you had to take down was a cyberdemon, who was much harder to fight than in the normal game since you actually had to run and shoot and not just control doomguy doing it. there were a lot of other enemies scattered around: some cyber-mancubuses, (mancubi?) hell knights, barons of hell, and plenty of lost souls. the arena was set up so that there was a central area that branched off into 4 little tunnel/corridor areas that had secret doors with powerups and ammo in them. the floor was also surrounded by lava on both sides, kind of like a moat, so you had to be extra careful not to fall in. i seem to remember getting the BFG at one point and nearly taking down the cyberdemon, but then a hell knight leaped over and tore me to shreds. at that point i was too exhausted from my first try and just quit the game.

the other ones i've had are basically the same except i'm in a normal, classic DOOM level instead of a DOOM 2016 arena area.

many years ago , I was on Holiday far from my home and I made a dream about playing doom ... it was 1996 I think ... I still remember those "dream" levels , full of cacodemons ... then another time I dreamed about playing other levels... and then no more

It's been a while since I had any dreams about Doom, but today I dreamed that I had a goat called John Romero.

On 2017. 07. 07. at 3:13 PM, Scypek2 said:

I had a goat called John Romero.

Did you have to replace bleating textures with something more quiet in XWE?

Spoiler

Sorry, I just had to. :DDDDD

For the ones who don't get it:

Thank you for the quote, I was wondering how many years old is that reference by now.

My mom thinks John Romero sounds like a very good name for a goat, by the way.

I just learned about the existence of the NOTIMEFREEZE flag in ZDoom, and it reminded me how a few years ago I had a nightmare about the Freeze console cheat malfunctioning.

It still feels creepy to me that someone can be immune to the Freeze cheat, considerably more creepy than a monster capable of killing an invincible player or something like that. No one feels entitled to permanent invincibility in a videogame, but the Freeze just feels kind of like a total pause. What's next, pressing the aptly-named escape key and having some monster come from the back, maneuver between all the immobile enemies, and tear the menu options right off your face? Having a monster kill me while I'm still editing the level in 3d mode? You may never know!

And if the timefreeze comes from a powerup, it even stops the music. That just begs for some horror game application.

On 10. 7. 2017 at 0:45 PM, Scypek2 said:

My mom thinks John Romero sounds like a very good name for a goat, by the way.

Made my day, LOL 😄

It's more related to this forum and my recent map. I just dreamed that someone that I know wrote review on my wad and said that map is dumb and not worth time and I woke up with heavy feeling on my chest. I had to check if this is truth, after I woke up. Good thing is not true and my mind played terrible trick on me, it was like a nightmare stuff.

Anyway, I often dream chaingunners and revenants and how I die from their guns or how I try escape from one big place, which strongly looks like Doom locations from various wads. 

I wonder how many people think MAP29 of Reverie was filler just because it was a small map, when actually it was the map that began the whole idea for the megawad. It was based on a dream where I was playing a new vanilla megawad and I was on MAP29 and it was surprisingly small but filled with nothing but the tougher monsters (namely revenants, arch-viles and cyberdemons) in a square-shaped arena that requires the player to run from one pillar area to another with a key in each one. That map came out pretty much exactly the way I remember it in the dream, and the ideas for the surrounding maps 28 and 30 followed soon after, and thus began Reverie's development (hence why I decided to call the project Reverie).

Some of my random Doom dreams are potential good ideas for maps, hopefully I'll express them whenever I get into mapping. The other night I dreamed that there were two archies wondering around with some people and I pulled my rocket launcher and killed them easily, which in reality hardly ever happens. Last night, I dreamed with this map, with Hellbound-ish vibes, I was in a sewerage, there was nothing but me and a secret BFG on a platform, the secret teleport was at the end of a nukage corridor, it teleported me on top of something but I don't remember much else. Then I was opening doors, rooms with tons of ammo boxes, thinking "wow Hellbound suddenly got shitty", some former humans here and there, and a huge exploding barrel, then it got mixed with other non-Doom stuff and that's it.