What would you like id to do for Doom's 20th Anniversary

Well? Doom's 20th anniversary comes next year. A fact apparently not lost on id looking at the 1994 - 2014 logo on the BFG edition box.

Doom's community has played a big part in the longevity of the game; you never know, perhaps id might refer to community sites when brainstorming ideas to celebrate the landmark.

Share this post


Link to post

Announce Doom 4? A new episode for Doom 1/2? A retrospective?

EDIT: Did they do something for the 10th anniversary?

Share this post


Link to post
AlektorophobiA said:

Release a non-crappy version of the BFG Edition?


What's wrong with the current one?

Share this post


Link to post

Romero should finally get around to releasing the DoomEd source and map sources (especially if he's holding onto any earlier versions or scraps).

Share this post


Link to post

Doom Generations. Doomguy from the first two games and Doomguy from Doom 3 get up to all kinds of wacky hijinks. Maybe two different generations of Cyberdemon team up. And there's a new bad guy or something.

Actually... that's what I'd like them not to do. Hopefully Carmack has been sitting on some technical engineering knowledge for ages and we'll see actual BFGs (which are big, actually fire, and ACTUALLY frag!) in stores. Or something.

I don't know. Doom 4 is almost a no-brainer, innit?

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

What's wrong with the current one?

Some people don't care for the trivial changes made to the Doom 2 secret levels. Some don't care for the moderately brighter lighting schemes in the Doom 3 levels. Some (in this case, rightfully so) don't care for the removal of the editor, or at least the inaccessibility of it. But they think id have failed us, or something.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

Some people don't care for the trivial changes made to the Doom 2 secret levels. Some don't care for the moderately brighter lighting schemes in the Doom 3 levels. Some (in this case, rightfully so) don't care for the removal of the editor, or at least the inaccessibility of it. But they think id have failed us, or something.


Why do people care about the Wolfenstein levels? They're unoriginal anyway. The editor is coming, they just need to wrap up a few things.

And people complain about brighter lighting?REALLY?! Wasn't the overly dark lighting of the main criticisms of Doom 3? My only gripe with it is too much ammo and reused assets in the new tech bases but these are minor gripes for me really.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

My only gripe with it is too much ammo and reused assets in the new tech bases but these are minor gripes for me really.

Those are common complaints too. But some people have taken all the changes a little too close to heart.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not even finding some parts of NORMAL Doom 3 that dark. But really? No lighting after power outages? Surely you jest!

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

Those are common complaints too. But some people have taken all the changes a little too close to heart.


I never would have thought people would rage over these issues, especially considering that most of the people here dislike Doom 3. (or am I wrong?)

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

I never would have thought people would rage over these issues, especially considering that most of the people her dislike Doom 3. (or am I wrong?)


Personally I love Doom 3. Don't know about everyone else but I'm up to the tenth level now on easy, playing for the first time, and it's getting better with every level.

Share this post


Link to post
Eris Falling said:

Personally I love Doom 3. Don't know about everyone else but I'm up to the tenth level now on easy, playing for the first time, and it's getting better with every level.


I recommend playing it on veteran!

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

I recommend playing it on veteran!


Hahaha, maybe when I get a bit better...Lost souls are doing my head in so far. Can't believe id made them EVEN MORE ANNOYING

Share this post


Link to post
Eris Falling said:

Hahaha, maybe when I get a bit better...Lost souls are doing my head in so far. Can't believe id made them EVEN MORE ANNOYING


The pistol and the machine gun are very good against them.

Anyway, back on topic: I would love Id to make a retrospective on each Doom game. I would especially like to hear what lessons they've learned from Doom 3 and abandoned features from the originals(I love it when small little details emerge on the net)

Share this post


Link to post

As unlikely and meaningless as it sounds I'd love them to commission another community made megawad in the vein of Final Doom, maybe as free DLC.

I know there's thousands of quality free PWADs to download already but it would be exciting to see what some of the talented mappers here could produce with the possibility of being involved in an official id product as an incentive.

Share this post


Link to post

Do what Capcom did with Mega Man 9 & 10 and release a new "oldskool" Doom game on PSN/XBLA/Steam/whatever with an upgraded vanilla engine a la BFG Edition. Throw in some new enemies and maybe a new weapon or two and sell it for a tenner. I'd buy it.

Share this post


Link to post

At the risk of sullying the classic Doom we know and love that would indeed be irresistable Scalliano. I have often wondered what direction id would have taken Doom if they had made one more true sequel based on the same engine instead of releasing Final Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

Re-licensing the pre-BFG Edition IWADs as freely distributable would be a nice gesture, though realistically I don't expect to see that in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post

If they were to somehow release Doom for free it would probably be browser based like they did with Wolf 3D on it's 20th anniversary. :P

Share this post


Link to post

That they would finally show something from Doom 4.

Seriously, I feel like I have been trolled for the past 2 years because I have keept saying to myself "ok, NOW they are probably going to show something", but....nothing :(

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

That they would finally show something from Doom 4.

Seriously, I feel like I have been trolled for the past 2 years because I have keept saying to myself "ok, NOW they are probably going to show something", but....nothing :(

I'm sure most of us would like something wet our appetite. That said, there's a delicate balance between showing off too much material years before the game is anywhere near completion (a la Rage), and announcing something so prestigious as a new Doom game without any intention of giving people a glimpse of what you're working on for several consecutive years. I think it's safer to remain silent, even if those of us on a Doom forum consequently get impatient.

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps Doom 4? Or Community Chest 5, Hell Revealed 3, or a new megawad which takes place in every parts of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
purist said:

As unlikely and meaningless as it sounds I'd love them to commission another community made megawad in the vein of Final Doom, maybe as free DLC.


You know, this is what I want them to do. But yeah, unlikely and meaningless; plus, there'd be a whole shitstorm following said WAD because it most likely wouldn't meet the lofty expectations of some.

Share this post


Link to post

Make the oldschool doom games freeware and I am deadly serious...

Share this post


Link to post

I second Torn's response, it's about time the legendary shooter gets its freeware status as well as Wolfenstein 3D.

Also, retracting that shitty BFG Edition and just bundle Doom 3, Doom 3: RoE, The Lost Missions as an addon and a proper North American/European/Non-German release of Doom and Doom 2 without lame MAP31/MAP32 edits.

Share this post


Link to post
Mr. Chris said:

that shitty BFG Edition


Seriously, what is up with all of the whine about the BFG edition?

Yes it has some flaws, but nothing so major as to make it "shit".

Id promised a great console version of Doom 3, and they delivered on that.

Nobody forces you to play the BFG edition on the PC if you just want to play the normal Doom 3.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now