Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

E1M1 delayed lift

In recent raging UV-max speedruns, I've been hindered time and time again by a very irritating oddity.

The lift for secret #3 in E1M1 does not lower when crossing it's trigger line. Instead it waits for a few seconds, THEN lowers. This adds about 3 seconds on the total time of the run.

Here is a ZDoom demo which features the bug in a run through the level.

Does anyone know why/how this is caused?

Also: Offtopic, but does the use of autorun (cl_run true) in a demo make it a TAS run?

Looks like you didn't cross that line but some monster did a little later.
Autorun is considered a non-TAS feature.

Memfis said:

Looks like you didn't cross that line but some monster did a little later.

Monsters can trigger lines? Damn...

Autorun is considered a non-TAS feature.

Yay! Thank you!

GhostlyDeath said:

Monsters cannot activate that list, if they can in ZDoom than it differs from Vanilla Behavior.

It's a wr lift, I believe monsters can trigger them in all ports, in fact the c-n record uses this trick by leaving a sergeant alive in the computer room and goes off to finish the rest of the level and then this sergeant hopefully triggers that secret lift when you return to the nukage room, saving valuable seconds.
I believe that is the case as Jonathon Rimmer's record he doesn't cross that line again after entering the area for the first time and only enters that lift about 10-12 seconds after entering that area so couldn't have triggered the lift himself.

GhostlyDeath said:

Monsters cannot activate that list, if they can in ZDoom than it differs from Vanilla Behavior.

You are incorrect. Monsters can activate Wx lift lines in Vanilla Doom.

Unless you guys are talking about a special lift that I have never found in all these years, this thread is about the lift that is activated by a linedef in the zigzag nukage room and which is in the hidden room behind the imps' ledge.

The linedef type is 88, which SLADE calls "WR Lift Also Monsters". And here, have the top of the line trigger function:

//
// P_CrossSpecialLine - TRIGGER
// Called every time a thing origin is about
//  to cross a line with a non 0 special.
//
void
P_CrossSpecialLine
( int		linenum,
  int		side,
  mobj_t*	thing )
{
    line_t*	line;
    int		ok;

line = &lines[linenum];

//	Triggers that other things can activate
    if (!thing->player)
    {
	// Things that should NOT trigger specials...
	switch(thing->type)
	{
	  case MT_ROCKET:
	  case MT_PLASMA:
	  case MT_BFG:
	  case MT_TROOPSHOT:
	  case MT_HEADSHOT:
	  case MT_BRUISERSHOT:
	    return;
	    break;

default: break;
	}

ok = 0;
	switch(line->special)
	{
	  case 39:	// TELEPORT TRIGGER
	  case 97:	// TELEPORT RETRIGGER
	  case 125:	// TELEPORT MONSTERONLY TRIGGER
	  case 126:	// TELEPORT MONSTERONLY RETRIGGER
	  case 4:	// RAISE DOOR
	  case 10:	// PLAT DOWN-WAIT-UP-STAY TRIGGER
	  case 88:	// PLAT DOWN-WAIT-UP-STAY RETRIGGER
	    ok = 1;
	    break;
	}
	if (!ok)
	    return;
    }

Line type 88 is specifically marked as one that monsters can activate. Along with types 4, 10, 39, 97, 125, and 126.

You may now resume discussing about how this is ZDoom's fault and it wouldn't happen in a more faithful port.

TimeOfDeath said:

btw Eris, why don't you use prboom-plus for recording on that wad?

I'm an even worse player in PrBoom+
Just can't get the mouse sensitivity set up right :S And the sound is slightly buggy but I can probably fiddle around with that

Gez said:

The linedef type is 88, which SLADE calls "WR Lift Also Monsters".

DB2 refers to it as just "WR Lift Lower Wait Raise," and says nothing about monsters being able to trigger it. Due to my anti-SLADE laptop, this was the thing I checked.

cannonball said:

It's a wr lift, I believe monsters can trigger them in all ports,

This is true, I've got an annoying gameplay flaw in a map because my imps keep activating a trap they're not supposed to and it uses a Walkover repeatable lift line.

Eris Falling said:

I'm an even worse player in PrBoom+
Just can't get the mouse sensitivity set up right :S And the sound is slightly buggy but I can probably fiddle around with that

Ask J4rio about this issue, I'm sure he had a similar issue when beginning to record demos with pr-boom instead of zdoom/gzdoom

I never managed to make prboom's mouse behave the same way as zdoom's one. I've heard something about turning off acceleration in Windows Control Panel but it didn't quite work for me.

40oz said:

This is true, I've got an annoying gameplay flaw in a map because my imps keep activating a trap they're not supposed to and it uses a Walkover repeatable lift line.

Use line action 120 instead of 88 and they won't activate the lift (I'm assuming doom2 format).

Shadow Hog said:

What's buggy about it?

It's hard to describe, but it's an error which I once heard on DOS-DN3D when the sound wasn't set up right.
Where every sound is all juddery and impossible to tell what the sound is.
Music isn't as bad, but jumps from time to time.

I was messing around with horizontal sensitivity on the mouse earlier with no acceleration, but I never took note of if I got it right, since I was to caught up with the sound.

EDIT:

cannonball said:

Ask J4rio about this issue, I'm sure he had a similar issue when beginning to record demos with pr-boom instead of zdoom/gzdoom

This brings me optimism a bit. I once mistook one of his runs for a Tatsurd demo.

Eris Falling said:

It's hard to describe, but it's an error which I once heard on DOS-DN3D when the sound wasn't set up right.
Where every sound is all juddery and impossible to tell what the sound is.
Music isn't as bad, but jumps from time to time.

Try setting "process_affinity_mask" to "-1" in the cfg?

Shadow Hog said:

Try setting "process_affinity_mask" to "-1" in the cfg?

Fixed it by capping the framerate. Set 16-bit video to avoid lag. Also just about have set my mouse up right. Think I'm about good to go with it actually