Looking Up/Down in Vanilla Heretic with the mouse?

Is it possible to assign the look up/down functions to forward/backward on the mouse in the vanilla heretic .exe? Using a .com file or editing the .cfg file or some other way?

Share this post


Link to post

I guess the mouselook in Heretic would become awkward with the only specific sensitivity that the keyboard has.

Share this post


Link to post

It's not supported out of the box, no. I'm sure you can use something like Joy2Key to do it, I've never tried though, I just play Heretic like Doom because there's never actually any need to look up/down, autoaim works just as well as it does in Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonsbrethren said:

It's not supported out of the box, no. I'm sure you can use something like Joy2Key to do it, I've never tried though, I just play Heretic like Doom because there's never actually any need to look up/down, autoaim works just as well as it does in Doom.


Yes I noticed there is still enough autoaim that I don't really need to look up or down when I'm killing enemies, BUT when take the ability to fly with a certain power up into account, you'll notice that it's very hard to comfortably control where you're going.

The flying ability is really the only real reason I want to be able to look up and down with the mouse.

I realize it's not supported out of the box, which is why I thought there might be a mod of some sort in the form of maybe a .com, like "novert".

Share this post


Link to post

Does vanilla Heretic take your viewing angle into account when you're flying? I've honestly never taken notice to it. They have separate fly up and down keys, and I thought those were the only way to control your flight in vanilla.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonsbrethren said:

Does vanilla Heretic take your viewing angle into account when you're flying? I've honestly never taken notice to it. They have separate fly up and down keys, and I thought those were the only way to control your flight in vanilla.

No. And I've always liked it that way because it allows you to look down and fire your explosive weapons toward the ground while flying level above the monsters.

I call it, "raining down terror from above with impunity." It's a gameplay mechanic and disabling it unconditionally is unacceptable to me so, in Eternity at least, you can turn off mouselook's effect on flying to get Raven-compatible behavior.

Share this post


Link to post

Quick question: How can I find out which value is for which key in the cfg. I'd like to use items with ''E'' or something close to WASD.

Share this post


Link to post

So no such luck for me then though? Is there no way I can assign looking up/down to the Y axis on my mouse while playing vanilla?

Share this post


Link to post

Vanilla Heretic was -in theory- able to use certain VR headsets and "3D joysticks", so controlling up&down via something other than the keys was not impossible. However the interfacing/drivers required for this to work were quite obscure.

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Vanilla Heretic was -in theory- able to use certain VR headsets and "3D joysticks", so controlling up&down via something other than the keys was not impossible. However the interfacing/drivers required for this to work were quite obscure.

Yeah that's gonna be a no-go for him unless he understands how to program 16-bit DOS TSRs and tickle interrupts :P

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Yeah that's gonna be a no-go for him unless he understands how to program 16-bit DOS TSRs and tickle interrupts :P


Ahh so nobodies done such a thing? I made this thread hoping somebody out there on the great and vast internet would have already made a TSR (similar to novert) that assigns looking up/down to the Y axis on the mouse, but I guess not. I don't think I would be able to make one myself.

Hopefully someone who sees this thread will think it's a good idea and make one?...

Share this post


Link to post

Heretic's ticcmd doesn't leave enough space for looking up/looking down deltas to facilitate smooth freelook even if you do get it working with the mouse, it's going to be extremely jittery unless you modify the game directly and break demo compatability.

Share this post


Link to post
ON3i11 said:

Ahh so nobodies done such a thing? I made this thread hoping somebody out there on the great and vast internet would have already made a TSR (similar to novert) that assigns looking up/down to the Y axis on the mouse, but I guess not. I don't think I would be able to make one myself.

Hopefully someone who sees this thread will think it's a good idea and make one?...

I don't know; I think fraggle said his tool that supports vanilla DOOM's -control API also supports the corresponding command to Heretic (which I can't remember at the moment). You'd still need to be able to modify the program to grab mouse input though and funnel it into the structure that Heretic expects. This wouldn't be trivial; I'm a +10 year software engineer and I'd have to do a hell of a lot of research to figure that kind of thing out myself; it's outside my expertise.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now