Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Favorite Weapon In Doom or Doom II Minus the BFG

So what is your favorite weapon to use other than the BFG.(I know but I dont want pages of just the word "BFG") For me it would have to be the Plasma Gun, I just love its power and very high rate of fire.

Funny, I'd have thought the obvious weapon to exclude would be the Super Shotgun.

Always thought that one was kind of unbalanced. Yeah, it has the downside of using two shells instead of one, as well as having a significantly large interval between shots, but it always felt like the DPS more than overrode all of that, provided you can get up close to your opponents and you're a good aim. You basically do the amount of damage of a rocket, but without the splash damage. Pretty much ideal for anything more powerful than an Imp but weaker than a Cyberdemon in one-on-one, and great for groups of weaker enemies, too. Not ideal for faraway enemies, though; the scatter's too much, so you'd basically be tickling them. Fortunately, enemies tend to be closer than farther, in my experience...

Oh, and it's my favorite, personally. Excluding that, my favorite would be the normal shotgun.

probably the fist in berserk mode. love weaving through crowds of Doom 1 enemies, making them fight each other, trying to isolate the sargeants so you can knock their lights out!

of course kinda crappy in levels full of monster cupboards and other ambushes, but in explorathons I like to see my fist prepared.

First time I played doom my favourite was chaingun because I only had shareware and was stuck with it for some time, after that plasmarifle and now ssg. The sound ssg makes when ejecting empty shells and loading fresh ones is eargasm, boom chuk click klak

Regular shotty & ssg, the only things you need if there is enough shells around... plasmarifle is also a mighty cool weapon & kicks ass. Finishing off imps with one shot from the pistol is perhaps the most satisfying thing to do in this game, in my opinion.

Wraithverge. :P

e:

Dragonsbrethren said:

The default shotgun probably has the best designed shotgun mechanics in the history of gaming. I still prefer the SSG if it's available anyway.

Yeah, the shotgun just feels really nice to use, and is probably a part of what makes Doom so fun and why Heretic feels like it's missing something. But against Doom 2's higher-tier monsters it just doesn't pack enough punch.

My preference seems to change constantly, because for the most part every weapon you can pick up is just that well-implemented. Right now it's a toss-up between the Rocket Launcher and the Plasma Rifle, because they can make a joke out of pretty much any medium-sized group encounter if there's even the slightest room available to avoid return fire. And they'll often kill an Arch-Vile before it has time to actually attack, provided that you get the jump on it.

Shadow Hog said:

Funny, I'd have thought the obvious weapon to exclude would be the Super Shotgun.

Always thought that one was kind of unbalanced.

It's horrendously unbalanced. Compared to the basic Shotgun, every blast is one hitscan off 3x damage for a cost of only 2x ammo. And ammo for it is fucking everywhere. Piss-poor effectiveness at a medium/long range doesn't matter either, because so much of the combat in Doom is short-range anyway. Open a door; immediate SSG blast for whatever lurks behind it. Hit a switch; surprise SSG blast for whatever teleports in. A seriously effective weapon in almost any situation, but undeniably broken beyond belief. I don't know whether to love or hate the bastard thing, but because of this it sure as hell ain't my favourite.

Shotgun and Rocket Launcher. I love them all though, every weapon has its strengths and weaknesses and are very well balanced...except the completely useless pistol. It took Id 18 years, till RAGE to finally make a decent pistol. It was great.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's horrendously unbalanced. Compared to the basic Shotgun, every blast is one hitscan off 3x damage for a cost of only 2x ammo. And ammo for it is fucking everywhere.

I played through STRAIN recently and thought the decision to make the regular SG faster was a really good move, made both shotguns valuable again. (I know it's not the only mod to do this, it's the one freshest in my mind though.)

Waffenak said:

The sound ssg makes when ejecting empty shells and loading fresh ones is eargasm, boom chuk click klak

This. I'd probably pick the regualar shotgun as my favourite since it's the weapon I use most but Damn, that Super Shotty is pretty badass at the right occasions. The best moments of Doom II are either killing a large group of zombies with one blast from the SSG or taking down arachnotrons with the it. I someday wish to own my own Double barrelled shotgun and try quick reloading it Doom style.

Shotgun/super shotgun.

The game gives you so much shotgun ammo its not even funny. I never have to worry about running out of ammo with the shotgun. I often run out of bullets, rockets, or plasma cells, but never really shotgun shells... its strange. Unless the enemies are far away or I'm dealing with a strong enemies like a cyberdemon, I'll rarely not use my shotgun or super shotgun.

Pistol. Just to be different.

I have written paragraphs on how it needs more love, though.

If SSG is broken, it's broken in just the right way. It has two noticeable advantages (damage per second and damage per shell) and a bunch of smaller drawbacks to compensate. Some of them are more obvious, some are less. In the end, I think it was a good counterweight for all the new mid-tier monsters in Doom 2.

By the way, my favorite weapon would be infighting. To be even more different.

Da Werecat said:

If SSG is broken, it's broken in just the right way... In the end, I think it was a good counterweight for all the new mid-tier monsters in Doom 2.

Yes, and no. The drawbacks are barely there; slightly slower ROF, and... that's about it. The wider spread can even be an advantage in some cases (such as MAP03 of Doom II), so that doesn't really count as either a good or bad thing overall. Simply put, it's just far too effective most of the time, even against the majority of Doom II's bigger mid-tier fights (which the Rocket Launcher would originally have been well-suited for).

A reduction in the SSG's power (to between 14 - 16 hitscans) would have resulted in a much better balance alongside the weapons either side of it, given the RL more time to shine when a bunch of monsters show up, and all the while it would still have been a viable choice against lone or small packs of mid-tier encounters.

(Yes, I know I am questioning the design and gameplay choices for a 19-year old game, but that's what happens when you continue playing for so long.)

Da Werecat said:

Actually, I take back my to-be-different answer with a more legitimate one: barrels. Fucking love 'em.

SFoZ911 said:

Rocket Launcher. fun, powerful, long range weapon that can kill barons fairly quickly .

Seconded.*

I feel it's the most dramatic weapon, as its effect on lower-tier enemies is brutal, but it doesn't exactly cut through medium and high-tier enemies like nothing. Also, if the ammunition is well balanced, each shot will feel important. I like finding a rocket or two in a corner and feeling like this will really help me later on. Finally, I like that when using the rocket launcher, you have to balance damage to the enemy with the chance of damaging yourself, and I love when maps take advantage of this dynamic.

Also, fuck the safety on the RL. I can't be the only one who presses "5" and then goes clickclickclickclickclick - c'mon you bastard, fire!

Jayextee said:

Actually, I take back my to-be-different answer with a more legitimate one: barrels. Fucking love 'em.

This too, but only because they're like rockets.

But unlike rockets they have the advantage of being situation-specific, and a little unpredictable in large gatherings. (What do you call a 'grouping' of barrels? A 'slaughter'? I dunno, but it sounds like it needs a name.)

*Although I rarely use the RL against lone Barons, as it's a waste of the rockets' splash damage.

Strangely enough, none of the guns in Doom won't excite me.
But if I must say, Rocket Launcher. Powerful, fires less than second which gives good sustained firepower. Only problem, I still keep killing myself with it. :P
Also, super shotgun as a second, because what the fuck I am gonna do with 100 shells and a pesky shotgun? And with boxes of 20 shells littering around most of the time...

schwerpunk said:

But unlike rockets they have the advantage of being situation-specific, and a little unpredictable in large gatherings. (What do you call a 'grouping' of barrels? A 'slaughter'? I dunno, but it sounds like it needs a name.)

Explosive clusterfuck, me says.

BaronOfStuff said:

The drawbacks are barely there; slightly slower ROF, and... that's about it. The wider spread can even be an advantage in some cases (such as MAP03 of Doom II), so that doesn't really count as either a good or bad thing overall.

Well, of course, if the map barely has any height variation, then it's only a matter of distance and number of enemies in front of you.

schwerpunk said:

Also, fuck the safety on the RL. I can't be the only one who presses "5" and then goes clickclickclickclickclick - c'mon you bastard, fire!

THIS.

Da Werecat said:

Closeable doors FTW