Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Favorite Weapon In Doom or Doom II Minus the BFG

schwerpunk said:

I was somewhat surprised to find this out, but yeah, in certain situations, the SSG is alright. Particularly, I've taken to trying for a BFG two-shot and if that doesn't work (which is all the time), I switch to SSG if I'm close enough. Sometimes only takes a couple shots.

While playing CC4, it was actually more dangerous for me to try and BFG the plethora of cyberdemons (admittedly, this was with Brutal Doom), so I tried using the SSG and found it extremely effective, especially in close quarters where I had to keep dodging or circle strafing.

Job said:

Am I the only one who finds the SSG pretty effective against the cyberdemon, by the way? He's a nice big target to catch all the pellets and if the only other decent thing you have is an RL, the SSG is better because he's resistant to splash/explosive damage.

Nope, I found it actually much more useful than the rocket launcher, not to mention less as dangerous to your health too depending on certain situations on how you're meant to fight it. :P

I'd have to go with the Rocket Launcher. Packs a good punch and can blast multiple targets. It also requires a little brains to not blow oneself up in embarrassment.

It is also a relatively rare gun, so sometimes its kinda cool to find. The low amounts of ammo requires one to think of when best to utilize it or save it for a rainier day.

It's also a rocket launcher, which is cool.

Since I haven't seen anyone do it yet (somewhat surprisingly), I'm going to go ahead and be that guy and insist on choosing the BFG anyway despite the OP not telling me so out of protest. I am a blatant nonconformist!

Mostly, though, why exclude it? There's plenty of folks here who prefer something else, and IMO it's more interesting to know why folks intentionally choose the non-ultimate weapon and why even though the option's available. Though admittedly we've already done that many times before. :P

I agree that it was silly to exclude it. Maybe in 93 you'd have to make that addendum, but nowadays we've had a much longer time to explore the Dooms' arsenals, so yeah, people are going to find things they like about every weapon.

Now, while I think I can guess, I would like to know what it is about the BFG that has made you flaunt the conventions of this gentle thread? It's a complex and quirky weapon, and probably the most interesting one to analyze, but that doesn't usually impact the immediate experience of actually using it in a map.

schwerpunk said:

I agree that it was silly to exclude it. Maybe in 93 you'd have to make that addendum, but nowadays we've had a much longer time to explore the Dooms' arsenals, so yeah, people are going to find things they like about every weapon.

Now, while I think I can guess, I would like to know what it is about the BFG that has made you flaunt the conventions of this gentle thread? It's a complex and quirky weapon, and probably the most interesting one to analyze, but that doesn't usually impact the immediate experience of actually using it in a map.

The reason why I excluded it was because if I just asked "what is your favorite weapon" I'm sure a lot of you guys would say BFG (but their would be a few who would say Plasma gun, SSG, etc) so I just wanted to see people talk about the other weapons and what they liked about it.

Doominator2 said:

The reason why I excluded it was because if I just asked "what is your favorite weapon" I'm sure a lot of you guys would say BFG (but their would be a few who would say Plasma gun, SSG, etc) so I just wanted to see people talk about the other weapons and what they liked about it.

The BFG is too special-purpose to be a favorite weapon for most people. I think you wouldn't have had a whole lot of pro-BFG posts even without the stipulation. There are too many other weapons in the arsenal that are balanced better and more versatile.

Piper Maru said:

You have to admit though, it's fun taking out a horde of former humans and imps with the BFG 9000, they all go squish!

I said it's a special-purpose weapon, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. ;)

When dealing with Pain Elemental's (Especially in Doom 64), I use the Plasma Gun or BFG 9000 to get rid of them immediately. I find them to be the most aggravating of monsters. Because if you don't get them right off the bat, you'll be swarmed with Lost Souls!

Speaking of the plasmarifle firing sound, I think Quake 3 Arena had the best firing sound for that weapon.

Avoozl said:

Speaking of the plasmarifle firing sound, I think Quake 3 Arena had the best firing sound for that weapon.

So satisfying, and the splash damage was a nice modification, too. Although I missed the more grungy feel of weapons that we got in Quake 1 & 2, Quake 3 worked well in a sporty kind of way.

Actually, Doom 3's PG was pretty fun, as I recall. Although I think my favourite PG in a Doom game would probably be the one in Brutal Doom. Feels fast and precise and appropriately teched-out.

(I guess this is getting off from the original topic, though.)

Surprised Berserk didn't come up as much, or is it because you guys classify it more of a powerup instead? Berserk is killer.

Jimi said:

Or rocket launcher vs pain elementals.

What about rocket launcher vs ghost pain elementals?

Avoozl said:

I think the EMP rounds for the shotgun in Rage sound better, it actually uses a modified Doom plasma rifle sound which sounds utterly awesome.

Are you talking about the ghost monsters bug? I meant a map made specifically with that in mind. Like Requiem MAP24 or Project-X MAP14. In this case, a map with ghost PEs and a rocket launcher.

I played Requiem with the ghost monster bug fixed, so I didn't encounter any... otherwise I'd probably skip such levels. To me it's a game breaking bug.

The Rocket Launcher because of rocket jumping in ZDoom ports.
And it kills tons of enemies real fast because of splash damage, it also looks really cool when you Circle-Strafe while shooting the Cyberdemon.