Here's an old post I made on the subject,
So, it seeems I'm the only one who still enjoys using the chainsaw on Demons/Spectres? I pretty much considered hordes of those to be an "interlude" for whatever map they were part of: they swarm everything, block all lines of fire and run very rapidly all around (essentially disrupting up any other fights).
So what you do? Retreat to a corner/chokepoint, get out the good ol' Eager Beaver, and grind some meat. 5, 10, 20 or 100 demons, just be patient and grind. Is this considered too 1994 perhaps? Well what can I say, I'm oldschool all the way, yo. Berserk pack works well, too, but doesn't feel as oldschool, for some reason.
Edit: Only now I saw Scottland89's post. So at least I'm not alone in that
By the way, Hell Revealed notoriously averts that by avoiding giving the player a chainsaw on early stages (or at all?), and only when you're supposed to battle hordes of Pinkies it gives a Berserk pack, sooner or later. But no permanent chainsaw.
Other than the obvious weapon choices, I usually use them as follows:
- Chainsaw -> as above, but I sometimes use it against Revenants at CQ, as it prevents them from firing one of their 80 HP fireballs. Occasionally even against cacos, LS and PEs if they are at ground level.
- Pistol -> for ammo-saving "plinking" in Jodwin maps, when you absolutely can't waste an even number bullets if an odd one would do the job.
- Shotgun -> medium-distance fighting against zombies, imps and even revenants, when a SSG would waste too many pellets. Good for "shotgun sniping" too.
- SSG -> anything, if it's to be fought at CQ or open field with room to dodge/circlestrafe and occasionally cover (if against SM and AV).
- CG -> Excellent "sniping" weapon, with the tapping trick. Keeps single revenants, cacos, PEs etc. at bay, and is good for weakening stronger monsters through a safe shooting spot, e.g. a cyberdemon's sticking head ;-)
- RL -> good against hordes of anything, same conditions as SSG but with the necessary ability to put more distance between you and the enemy hordes. Also, sometimes when I want to rampage through a techbase-like map quickly and it's far too generous with RL ammo, I use that instead of hitscan weaponry. Risky, but TONS of fun ;-)
- PL -> Kinda gimmicky weapon, IMO. If used as a "straight shooter", it just wastes too much ammo. However, it's unbeatable if you're caught in a 1-on-1 with a tough monster such as a Baron at CQ, and none of the other weapons would kill it quickly or safely enough (and you don't have a BFG). Also good for weaving "fire barriers" around you.
- BFG -> Well, as long as you can afford the ammo it will kill almost anything reliably and quickly, in CQ or open field, so nothing to say there. The only situation it might not be useful is when you have to reach certain enemies behind pillars/small windows, because then you rely exclusively on the tracers. Also, there are some situations where the delayed big ball explosion might prevent you from using the full power of the weapon e.g. if you have to expose yourself to AV fire for too long in order to direct the tracers). In that case, you better resort to RL or PL.