Mancubus
User Control Panel | Member List | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Blogs | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > [SEEKING] Intended Doom SC-55 Music
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheUltimateDoomer666
Junior Member


Posts: 149
Registered: 02-12


The FM synth patches in the genmidi lumps in the IWADs sound like...breath noises, I guess.

"The Call of Death" and "Spook" are two songs from Duke Nukem 3D that also use PC#122 and are composed by Robert Prince. In an older thread on VOGONS forums, someone commented that the breath noise sounds out of place in those songs. They said they thought the key click sound (used on the early SC-55 module) was supposed to simulate dripping water in those tracks, and thus be the "correct" instrument.

I decided to contact Robert Prince about this, and ask what the "correct" instrument is.

Old Post May 26 2014 05:02 #
TheUltimateDoomer666 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09
Senior Member


Posts: 1489
Registered: 04-03



MusicallyInspired said:
Yes. :)

Beautiful :) I am really looking forward to it.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:
I decided to contact Robert Prince about this, and ask what the "correct" instrument is.

Speaking of which, I'd be interested to hear Map09's music "remixed" to how it originally was intended;

Bobby Prince (http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoo...p?wad=doom2.wad)

Originally I had a piano playing the part that the harpsichord is playing but no one at id liked the idea of a piano in any of the music. As a joke, I changed the patch to the harpsichord. I expected everyone to voice opposition, but everyone seemed to like it -- so, I left it in!
From the sound of it the instrument was simply swapped out, so it could be a 1-step process to replicate the song's original form.

Only as a bonus track, mind you.. [MusicallyInspired] :D

Old Post May 26 2014 15:29 #
gemini09 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MusicallyInspired
Green Marine


Posts: 36
Registered: 12-13


For those who were waiting patiently, I've finally gotten around to putting together the uncompressed Doom soundtrack. Currently available are OGG and MP3 packs, but I'm uploading the FLAC pack as I type and will let you know when it's done.

Doom SC-55 Uncompressed Soundtrack

Old Post Jun 19 2014 16:20 #
MusicallyInspired is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09
Senior Member


Posts: 1489
Registered: 04-03


Nabbed, and also hopefully awaiting Doom 2 editions.. :}

Old Post Jun 20 2014 22:06 #
gemini09 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MusicallyInspired
Green Marine


Posts: 36
Registered: 12-13


Eventually.

Forgot to say that the FLAC version is available.

Old Post Jun 20 2014 22:07 #
MusicallyInspired is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09
Senior Member


Posts: 1489
Registered: 04-03


The FLAC version was up pretty swiftly, it seems, as it was up and running already yesterday when I initially saw your post.

I used to possess these kick-ass Sennheiser HD650s, but unfortunately I've misplaced them... Once I get them back, I look forward to checking out the FLAC versions too - I already have them downloaded and ready. :)

Old Post Jun 20 2014 23:02 #
gemini09 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MusicallyInspired
Green Marine


Posts: 36
Registered: 12-13


Doom II music pack is released! OGG, MP3, and FLAC packs are available with both volume boosted/compressed and raw renditions.

Old Post Jul 2 2014 18:05 #
MusicallyInspired is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
kkaden
Newbie


Posts: 9
Registered: 01-11


Awesome to see the progress made on your sc55 project, can't wait to listen to the two new releases =D

Old Post Jul 4 2014 04:34 #
kkaden is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
crmb
Newbie


Posts: 2
Registered: 01-16


Back in ~2008 i stumbled upon the SC-155 .flacs by Logicdeluxe. I was impressed and decided to buy a SC-55.
I noticed the difference on the drums for the doom 1 soundtrack. The recording had chorus/reverb but with my SC-55 (hooked via usb with a Edirol UM-1G) it didn't. (.mus / zdoom / dosbox..)

He pointed me to the midi files he used but no reverb. Weird since his doom 2 recording has no effects.

Anyway the drums sound cool with some reverb and chorus.

-
edit, after some testing, the settings to obtain the same sound than LogicDeluxe's Doom 1 recording :

Send a GM/GS Reset
tap ALL and set Reverb 127 / Chorus 64
untap ALL, go to PART 10 and set Reverb 60 / Chrorus 100
(Instrument 1-9 should be at default 40 / 0)

Your doom soundtrack will sound super punchy

Last edited by crmb on Feb 11 2016 at 19:03

Old Post Jan 17 2016 00:10 #
crmb is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
crmb
Newbie


Posts: 2
Registered: 01-16



TheUltimateDoomer666 said:
The FM synth patches in the genmidi lumps in the IWADs sound like...breath noises, I guess.

"The Call of Death" and "Spook" are two songs from Duke Nukem 3D that also use PC#122 and are composed by Robert Prince. In an older thread on VOGONS forums, someone commented that the breath noise sounds out of place in those songs. They said they thought the key click sound (used on the early SC-55 module) was supposed to simulate dripping water in those tracks, and thus be the "correct" instrument.

I decided to contact Robert Prince about this, and ask what the "correct" instrument is.

Hello. Because i thought that "Fl.Click" doesn't really sounded more "correct" than Breath Noise, i contacted Mr Prince about the issue (concerning Doom 2 & Duke3D). He said he used a GM compatible device (SC-55 "v2") and that the "Breath Noise" was the correct instrument !

Old Post Feb 11 2016 17:53 #
crmb is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09
Senior Member


Posts: 1489
Registered: 04-03


@Musically Inspired, say, regarding the "loop points" that you've achieved on this soundtrack, could you possibly be kind enough to add them to the MP2-files available of the DOOM soundtracks here on Doomworld too as an "extension of the MP2s" since they currently don't loop immediately in-game?

I've used the MP2s as place-holders for a mod and intended to switch over to your renditions of the music but they were a little too authentic for my needs and lacked the "boom!" that the MP2 soundtrack had.

Old Post Apr 4 2016 15:09 #
gemini09 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MusicallyInspired
Green Marine


Posts: 36
Registered: 12-13



crmb said:
after some testing, the settings to obtain the same sound than LogicDeluxe's Doom 1 recording :

Send a GM/GS Reset
tap ALL and set Reverb 127 / Chorus 64
untap ALL, go to PART 10 and set Reverb 60 / Chrorus 100
(Instrument 1-9 should be at default 40 / 0)

Your doom soundtrack will sound super punchy

I'm aware of the differences, but as you pointed out the chorus/reverb settings are not present in the original files and my aim was to go for a more authentic feel. I've already made two versions of the Doom and Doom 2 soundtracks (mastered and raw) and that's about as much meddling as I want to do with the originals. Plus, I've still got TNT, Heretic, Hexen, and ROTT (again) to record so it's not worth my time. :)

gemini09 said:
@Musically Inspired, say, regarding the "loop points" that you've achieved on this soundtrack, could you possibly be kind enough to add them to the MP2-files available of the DOOM soundtracks here on Doomworld too as an "extension of the MP2s" since they currently don't loop immediately in-game?

I've used the MP2s as place-holders for a mod and intended to switch over to your renditions of the music but they were a little too authentic for my needs and lacked the "boom!" that the MP2 soundtrack had.

I replied to your email but I'll repeat it here for others. You can't add custom metadata loop tags to MP2/3 files. Not even my MP3s have them. They're only for listening pleasure. You could convert them to OGG but that would degrade the quality further. It basically consists of LOOPSTART and LOOPEND tags that hold the loop point values in either samples or milliseconds. You could use something like Audacity to find the exact points in those values.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Apr 4 2016 at 16:56

Old Post Apr 4 2016 16:48 #
MusicallyInspired is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09
Senior Member


Posts: 1489
Registered: 04-03


Thanks for the quick replies. I also replied by e-mail :-]

Anyways, I'd like to make a public request for loop points with those MP2s as OGGs.

Converting them will as you mentioned degrade the quality and that kind of was the whole point of using the MP2s in the first place, and I have neither the equipment to record them anew nor relevant experience to the task at hand.

Checking just the individual MP2s however, I notice that there's a brief moment of silence at both the beginning and end of track MAP09 for example, so maybe by deleting those in something like Goldwave can provide me with a seamless loop in-game --- by doing this it should playback immediately in VLC, and while it perhaps doesn't do that by default, I believe there was an option for it --- or maybe that was Winamp, but in any case there is hopefully some setting like that in GZDoom as well, or at least there ought to be :-)

Old Post Apr 4 2016 19:03 #
gemini09 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom


Posts: 8926
Registered: 12-99


If you're worried about quality then convert them to FLAC instead - that supports loop points.

What are the MP2s recorded on? I assumed they were from an SC-55 too - is that not the case?

gemini09 said:
Checking just the individual MP2s however, I notice that there's a brief moment of silence at both the beginning and end of track MAP09 for example, so maybe by deleting those in something like Goldwave can provide me with a seamless loop in-game

Just set the loop point metadata appropriately like MusicallyInspired describes and they should loop seamlessly. You'll need to set it carefully but it should be no more work than editing the track would be.

Old Post Apr 4 2016 19:17 #
fraggle is offline Twitter account Youtube Twitch Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09
Senior Member


Posts: 1489
Registered: 04-03



fraggle said:
If you're worried about quality then convert them to FLAC instead - that supports loop points.

What are the MP2s recorded on? I assumed they were from an SC-55 too - is that not the case?

Just set the loop point metadata appropriately like MusicallyInspired describes and they should loop seamlessly. You'll need to set it carefully but it should be no more work than editing the track would be.

Duly noted! I'm experimenting in Goldwave as we speak, and this allows me to adjust the volume at certain places, like the intro on MAP08 which is pretty quiet compared to the "boom" that awaits just moments later.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep it in mind if this endeavor leads to a dead-end.

The MP2s were recored on "Roland SCC1":

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoo...hp?wad=doom.wad
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoo...p?wad=doom2.wad

I've always read all of them as just "Roland".

Edit: Goldwave didn't want to save in MP3 without sending me on out for a hunt, so I'm in the process of managing it with Audacity now. MusicallyInspired explained it in bold terms to guide me along and the Audacity-manual was pretty helpful as well so it should be resolved by tomorrow, I think I can say.

Last edited by gemini09 on Apr 4 2016 at 19:52

Old Post Apr 4 2016 19:25 #
gemini09 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom


Posts: 8926
Registered: 12-99


The SCC1 was just the SC-55 as an ISA card. It's rather strange if they don't play back identically.

Old Post Apr 4 2016 20:24 #
fraggle is offline Twitter account Youtube Twitch Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > [SEEKING] Intended Doom SC-55 Music

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright vBulletin Solutions, Inc.