Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

What are your Doom Habits

Hellbent said:

I used to savewhore with the best worst of them, until it stopped being fun to be able to load whenever you want. I wish there was a mod or port that allowed you to add save things to maps that when you pick 'em up it saves the game. That, or walk over linedefs that save the game for you, so that you don't have to redo the entire map, but also don't have complete free reign to ruin the game with scum saving.

Zdooms Autosave linedef action and the PDA from Realm667

I use ssg when playing map I havent played before because with ssg you can enter almost any dire situation and come as a ultimate winner. I also try to scavenge all the ammo I can and explore any nook and cranny

Fellowzdoomer said:

Zdooms Autosave linedef action and the PDA from Realm667

The main point is not being able to save wherever you want.

Waffenak said:

I use ssg when playing map I havent played before because with ssg you can enter almost any dire situation and come as a ultimate winner. I also try to scavenge all the ammo I can and explore any nook and cranny

On my first doom 2 run as soon as I got the ssg I never switched weapon even when I really needed it, the only time the I switched was to the rocket launcher for the icon of sin when I really needed it. So to make a long story short the ssg rules! :-)

Hellbent said:

I used to savewhore with the best worst of them, until it stopped being fun to be able to load whenever you want. I wish there was a mod or port that allowed you to add save things to maps that when you pick 'em up it saves the game. That, or walk over linedefs that save the game for you, so that you don't have to redo the entire map, but also don't have complete free reign to ruin the game with scum saving.

Yeah, I'm really an old console player at heart, and even though I've been playing PC games for over a decade now, the ability to save anywhere is still completely alien to me. So my Doom habit is to only save in two situations: At the end of a level, to check the intermission tallies in vanilla, and when I actually stop playing.

Hellbent said:

play mandoom. :)

Haven't participated in a discussion lately so I'll give this a try:

I recently had my computer wiped. I saved all my person levels, but as far as my archive of Cacowards and other miscellaneous WADs by other authors, they were lost, along with the actual game itself. I've also been very busy (in a good way) with stuff IRL so I haven't setup Doom shop again, yet . . .

I usually first decide whether I am going to map or play. I actually tend to spend more time mapping, but I throw out 90% of my work. I also spend a lot of time examining and admiring other more successful authors work, via flying around in DB2. Anyone else do this?

When I play, I play a single level at a time from pistol start. I keep a list of various WADs I'm in the middle of and select one off the list that interests me at the time. I mark down how many times I die, and at what difficulty. I actually also use DB2 to play because I can see how I am going to load WADs. Besides the game WAD (doom, doom II, heretic, hexen, etc) and the custom wad I also load these:
-Per Kristian's smoother animations
-Per Kristian's re-mastered sounds
-sprite fix