Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Doom 2 "episode" titles?

Back when I was playing Doom 2 on my 386 laptop, I seem to remember some sort of DOS-based launcher that allowed you to choose a level to start from - and uniquely, it divided the game into three distinct episodes.

Episode 3 was "Hell", I believe Episode 2 was "The City"... what was the other one?

I don't know about the launcher, never seen any like that, but according to the Wiki, these are the Doom II "episodes":

MAP01 to MAP06 - Subterranean/Starport
MAP07 to MAP11 - Hellish outpost
MAP12 to MAP20 - City
MAP21 to MAP30 - Hell

Curiously, setup bundled with v1.9 doesn't write any tips at the bottom. I knew I saw these titles somewhere so I had to dig up my old dusty (literally) v1.666.

Achoo.

Strange that it's called "The Space Station" when it would most likely be a star pad because space stations don't reside on Earth.

THough it could just be a poor way fo saying "The Station that Commutes to Space". Toy Story had a similar wording for the Pizza Planet place ala Buzz ( Or did he call it a space port? I don't remember).

The Totally Unauthorized Guide To DOOM II by BradyGames uses those episode names (1-11: Space Station, 12-20: The City, 21-30: Hell). I never knew that those were the official episode names from the launcher.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

The Totally Unauthorized Guide To DOOM II by BradyGames uses those episode names (1-11: Space Station, 12-20: The City, 21-30: Hell). I never knew that those were the official episode names from the launcher.

I wouldn't assume they're "official" in any sense.

fraggle said:

I wouldn't assume they're "official" in any sense.

Considering Romero coded the setup tool, it's as close to official as you're gonna get.

joe-ilya said:

What are the MAP31-MAP32 are called?
Wolfenstein, Nazi,secretory?

two levels are way too short to be classified as an episode. I feel doom 2 treats the two secret levels as non-canon because you never see the Nazis again outside of the two secret levels.